Author Topic: Al Sharpton Calls For Emergency Meeting To Address 'Appalling' All-White Oscar Nominees  (Read 1768 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.businessinsider.com/al-sharpton-blasts-appalling-oscars-2015-1?google_editors_picks=true

Al Sharpton Calls For Emergency Meeting To Address 'Appalling' All-White Oscar Nominees

Colin Campbell

Jan. 15, 2015, 4:01 PM

The Rev. Al Sharpton was left fuming mad after the Oscars revealed its all-white list of nominees for this year's Oscar awards on Thursday.

"The movie industry is like the Rocky Mountains, the higher you get, the whiter it gets," Sharpton quipped in a statement released later in the afternoon.

Sharpton, a critic of the lack of diversity in Hollywood, also announced he was holding an "emergency meeting" next week to address the issue.

"I have called an emergency meeting early next week in Hollywood with the task force to discuss possible action around the Academy Awards," he said.

The prestigious awards ceremony was widely criticized after its nominees for best actor, best actress, and best director were all white. In the past two decades this has happened only one other time, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Sharpton praised the Oscars for nominating the civil-rights film "Selma" for best picture, but said it was "ironic" because the film is based on Dr. Martin Luther King's marches.

Said Sharpton: "The lack of diversity in today's Oscar nominations is appalling and while it is good that Selma was nominated for 'Best Picture,' it's ironic that they nominated a story about the racial shutout around voting while there is a racial shutout around the Oscar nominations. With all of the talent in Selma and other Black movies this year, it is hard to believe that we have less diversity in the nominations today than in recent history."

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline flowers

Most movies coming out of Hollywood these days are horrible, now al will have say about the man having to many whites in movies.

Offline GourmetDan

Has anyone watched "The Book of Eli" (2010) ?

Denzel Washington's best work IMO because he plays a righteous man faithful to his mission...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline flowers

Has anyone watched "The Book of Eli" (2010) ?

Denzel Washington's best work IMO because he plays a righteous man faithful to his mission...
I did. Liked it.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
This is ridiculous of course.

And what about the BET (Black Entertainment) awards?

Offer them their own damned category....just like to do for best editing and adaptation to screenplay, etc..
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Time to point out that this is all based on a lie.

Selma was nominated for Best Picture. So was The Grand Budapest Hotel which co-stars and centers the story around Tony Revolori's character (born Anthony Quinonez) who is Hispanic. (the character was Indian).
Emmanuel Lubezki, Hispanic from Mexico was nominated for best Cinematography.
Alejandro González Iñárritu, Hispanic from Mexico nominated for Best Director
Hans Zimmer, Jewish, for best Musical Score

And those are just the most popular categories and I didn't even dig that deep into those films.

It sounds like Al Sharpton is pulling the old trick the Bureau of Indian Affairs did and carrying around a color chart to determine if someone is dark enough for him. Who is the real racist here?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Blacks and Sharpton expect an allocation, regardless of their contributions.

If we were adjusting towards "equity" they'd be at the end of their line, after multiple generations of welfare, crime, school failures, etc.

The truth is, "you can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh!t"

And you can't make an 85 IQ into a 100 IQ. And you can't get the desired results, if you incentivize the opposite.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Blacks and Sharpton expect an allocation, regardless of their contributions.

If we were adjusting towards "equity" they'd be at the end of their line, after multiple generations of welfare, crime, school failures, etc.

The truth is, "you can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh!t"

And you can't make an 85 IQ into a 100 IQ. And you can't get the desired results, if you incentivize the opposite.

I wished you hadn't made reference to the scientific research regarding American black IQs.   There are plenty of current and deceased American-black people who have excelled in areas that would dispel having IQs of less than 100.

A better cliche to use than yours above....to explain the absence of black nominees in the 'major' categories?   "Shit Happens".
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline aligncare

Can't wait for liberal Hollywood to feel what it's like to get it's ox gourd by one of the left's most obnoxious coalition groups.

Offline mountaineer

"The movie industry is like the Rocky Mountains, the higher you get, the whiter it gets," Sharpton quipped
So it's as natural as snow? What's he going to do now, sue God because snow is white?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Considering how many Hispanic people are up for Oscars this year (see my previous post), I wonder how we can pit them against Sharpton? 

Like I said, he sounds like the racists of old who would carry around color charts to determine who was or wasn't of the proper color.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
How many White NBA All-Stars are there?

http://www.nba.com/allstar/2014/players/

I counted 3 out of 26.  I think I will rile up a bunch of white people over this grave injustice, threaten lawsuits and marches and the like, and maybe get me a few bucks from the NBA...

Offline aligncare

How many White NBA All-Stars are there?

http://www.nba.com/allstar/2014/players/

I counted 3 out of 26.  I think I will rile up a bunch of white people over this grave injustice, threaten lawsuits and marches and the like, and maybe get me a few bucks from the NBA...

000hehehehe