Author Topic: The NCAA football-playoff system  (Read 5981 times)

Offline pjohns

The NCAA football-playoff system
« on: December 09, 2014, 02:58:52 am »
The four teams selected for the National Championship playoff have now been announced; and three of those teams are entirely uncontroversial: Florida State (undefeated, and the reigning national champion); Oregon (who avenged its only loss of the season--against Arizona--to the tune of 51-13, just the other day); and Alabama (whose 23-17 loss to Ole Miss, way back on October 4, remains its only blemish), were all but certain choices. But Ohio State, TCU, and Baylor all had very reasonable cases to be made for the fourth spot. TCU clobbered an outmanned Iowa State team last weekend, 55.3. And Baylor--which, at about the same time, defeated Number 9 Kansas State, 38-27, is the only team to have defeated TCU this season, in a shootout on October 11, 61-58. But Ohio State's 59-0 romp over Number 13 Wisconsin also made a rather powerful statement.

In the end, I really cannot quibble with the committee's selection of Ohio State--just as I could not have quibbled if it had chosen TCU or Baylor, instead--but I can (and do) quibble with the current, restricted format. Yes, it is an improvement over the old system of a "mythical" national championship. But it is just not sufficiently inclusive.

Granted, no matter how many teams might be included in a playoff system, it is almost certain that the fans of some teams would complain about the exclusion of their own favorite teams. That is certainly the case with the NCAA basketball playoff system (the so-called "Big Dance"). But the more teams that are included, the less compelling the case that might be made that if only an excluded team had been given the opportunity, it could have won the whole shebang. Which is why I would prefer a 16-team playoff system (or at leas an eight-team playoff system). Anything larger than that would probably be impractical for a sport so physically demanding as football is.

Online mountaineer

Re: The NCAA football-playoff system
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 08:27:49 pm »
When it comes to college football, the teams I like usually don't have a chance, so I end up rooting against the teams I don't like. Go Alabama and Oregon!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 11:55:50 pm »
When it comes to college football, the teams I like usually don't have a chance, so I end up rooting against the teams I don't like. Go Alabama and Oregon!
Yeah, I'm pulling for Oregon, just because they're not the same teams that always get the votes. Was hoping Baylor got in, but the cesspool that is Ohio State got in instead. Of course, margin of victory isn't supposed to be included in the judges' considerations, and Ohio State blatantly ran up the score, but hey, who's counting? There are more Buckeyes fans than Bears fans.

I've said before, and I'll say it again, they really need at least 6 or 8 to get all the deserving teams a shot. Move some of the bowls up to the same weekend as Army-Navy to make room. (I'm not a big fan of a 16-team or bigger format; the lower divisions do that and it just creates several weeks of bad football as the perennial powerhouses blow out their lower-seeded opponents (this while the best rivalry games are going on Thanksgiving weekend in D-I).
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline pjohns

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 06:31:27 am »
When it comes to college football, the teams I like usually don't have a chance...

As a longtime fan of Vanderbilt University (which is not typically known as a football powerhouse--to say the least), I can certainly empathize with you...

Offline pjohns

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 06:36:34 am »
Was hoping Baylor got in, but the cesspool that is Ohio State got in instead.

Well, I am not sure I would be quite that hard on them.

I am really not a Buckeyes fan--I don't actively dislike them; but I am no better than neutral toward them--but the recent suicide of one of their football players, Kosta Karageorge, has made me just a bit sympathetic toward the team. 

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 04:56:54 pm »
Buckeyes by 17.
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 06:23:06 am »
Buckeyes by 17.

SEC too Slow to Keep Up with The Big 10

Ohio State 42 35 over Alabama.  Not the 17 predicted, but officiating was suspect.

Also winning today
Michigan State
Wisconsin

Recommended

Offline pjohns

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 07:36:16 am »
Well, Ohio State definitely proved that they deserved to be chosen to play for the National Championship, what with their 42-35 upset of Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.

As for the two teams that were excluded from the playoffs, whose fans indicated irritation about the exclusion, there was a mixed response:  Baylor was the victim of a fourth-quarter comeback by Michigan State in the Cotton Bowl, losing a heartbreaker, 42-41.  Yet the previous day, TCU upheld its own end of the bargain by destroying Ole Miss in the Peach Bowl, 42-3. 

I still believe that an eight-team playoff system would be preferable to just four teams.  (Actually, I would prefer a 16-team playoff system.  But that is probably out of the question; at least, anytime within the foreseeable future.)

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 04:50:22 pm »
As for the two teams that were excluded from the playoffs, whose fans indicated irritation about the exclusion, there was a mixed response:  Baylor was the victim of a fourth-quarter comeback by Michigan State in the Cotton Bowl, losing a heartbreaker, 42-41.  Yet the previous day, TCU upheld its own end of the bargain by destroying Ole Miss in the Peach Bowl, 42-3. 
And Michigan State, despite being a two-loss team…their two losses were to teams in the CFP. In an 8-team playoff you could certainly make the case for them being a lower seed.

Hopefully the OSU win and the Baylor loss doesn't set a precedent for leaving out less prominent teams.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 04:53:50 pm »
TCU is the best college football team in America right now period!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 04:56:20 pm »
Well, Ohio State definitely proved that they deserved to be chosen to play for the National Championship, what with their 42-35 upset of Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.

I still believe that an eight-team playoff system would be preferable to just four teams.  (Actually, I would prefer a 16-team playoff system.  But that is probably out of the question; at least, anytime within the foreseeable future.)

Well I can tell you for sure that letting a bunch of know nothings decide who should be in the playoffs doesn't work at all!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline pjohns

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 06:49:04 am »

That seems to me entirely possible; although I really do not know if it is the case or not.

And that argues rather strongly, I believe, for an expanded playoff system, so that a team that is arguably the best in the country, at the end of the season, will not likely be excluded.  (Please notice that I am placing special emphasis on the "end" of the season, as that is really more important to me than early wins or losses are.  That is not to say that the early wins and losses are entirely insignificant; just that they should not count as much as late-season wins and losses do, in determining the best teams at the end of the season--and therefore, the teams most deserving of a shot at the national championship.)     

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 06:27:32 pm »

I believe in a 64 team playoff system.

The top 20 plus plenty more.  Every coach who thought his team was the greatest.  You know.  Like basketball.

The schedule would not have to be unnecessarily long.  They could play the games nightly. That way there would be a premium on toughness, conditioning, coaching and skill.
Something grueling.

Yep.  A 64 game playoff would maximize advertising revenues.  Give the ESPN folks something to talk about for months, and by the time it is complete, the southern teams would want to play the last games up north.  You know, for being cooler.

It would take the guess work out of it.

Yep a 64 team playoff.  :) 

Recommended

Offline musiclady

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 09:26:54 pm »
Yeah, I'm pulling for Oregon, just because they're not the same teams that always get the votes. Was hoping Baylor got in, but the cesspool that is Ohio State got in instead. Of course, margin of victory isn't supposed to be included in the judges' considerations, and Ohio State blatantly ran up the score, but hey, who's counting? There are more Buckeyes fans than Bears fans.

I've said before, and I'll say it again, they really need at least 6 or 8 to get all the deserving teams a shot. Move some of the bowls up to the same weekend as Army-Navy to make room. (I'm not a big fan of a 16-team or bigger format; the lower divisions do that and it just creates several weeks of bad football as the perennial powerhouses blow out their lower-seeded opponents (this while the best rivalry games are going on Thanksgiving weekend in D-I).

Ohio State a 'cesspool??'

Good grief.

That's absolutely absurd.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 09:31:01 pm »

Absolutely agree that there needs to be an 8 team playoff system.  I think 16 is a bit excessive, but four is definitely too small a field.

And YES, the Buckeyes proved their worth in spades by beating Alabama on the big stage.

They'll have to work against Oregon, but I think they can end up on top of the heap in the end.  Urban Meyer is an unbelievably talented coach, and he's got an enormous amount of talented kids playing for him.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2015, 09:32:04 pm »

They should have been in the playoffs instead of Florida State, who didn't deserve to be there.

IMHO.....

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2015, 10:31:15 pm »
They should have been in the playoffs instead of Florida State, who didn't deserve to be there.

IMHO.....
The problem is, FSU went undefeated, and as weak as their schedule might have been, they played 12 games against major conference opponents and won them all. To let a bunch of one-loss teams into the playoff and leave out the one that actually did sweep the table is just wrong.

Of course, that's why we have playoffs, so they expose cupcake teams with weak schedules like Florida State.

I agree with the notion it should be 8. A playoff with Alabama, Florida State, Ohio State, Oregon, Texas Christian, Baylor, Michigan State and one of the non-major conferences would be worth watching. I don't like the idea of more because if you look at the lower divisions where they do that, it makes the regular season shorter (no more Thanksgiving weekend rivalries) and the top few teams constantly win in blowouts in the early rounds. In short, big tournaments only equal ugly football. This isn't basketball where you can play, then two days later turn around and move to the next round.

Offline pjohns

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 07:10:10 am »
[TCU] should have been in the playoffs instead of Florida State, who didn't deserve to be there.

IMHO.....

I agree.  But that is a matter of mere hindsight; which, as the old saying goes, is 20/20.

To have excluded the reigning national champion--which was undefeated during the regular season--is something that I would not have done. 

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 01:53:42 pm »

IMHO.....

ABSOLUTELY agree!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 02:02:04 pm »
I agree.  But that is a matter of mere hindsight; which, as the old saying goes, is 20/20.

To have excluded the reigning national champion--which was undefeated during the regular season--is something that I would not have done.

I know that including Florida State had to be done because of their undefeated status, and understand why the committee did it, but they were the only team in the top four that didn't deserve to be there, and both Baylor and TCU would have been better choices. (Again, selecting 8 teams and not 4 would have solved that issue).

And actually, I think there were a number of people who felt that way well ahead of the selection, so it wasn't exactly 'hindsight' to think they really weren't one of the best four teams in the country.

Obviously as a Buckeye fan, I knew they belonged because I've watched them play all season under very difficult circumstances, and knew after the Michigan State and Wisconsin games that they had what it takes to be a Championship team.  Third string quarterback, very, very young team, but firing on all four pistons at the end of the season.

I think they can beat Oregon if they bring the same team that beat Michigan State, Wisconsin and Alabama to the National Championship next Monday.

(And for the record, it's a clean program with a stellar coach and an avid fan base).

Offline Relic

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2015, 05:11:47 pm »
I am a Buckeye fan. I won't apologize for the Buckeyes being included, and I don't feel bad in any way.

However, I think TCU got hosed. They were 3rd, and did nothing to lose that place. I think Oregon, Alabama and FSU were locks. You can't exclude an undefeated reigning champ, you just can't. TCU was third, and got dropped after winning? The committee looked at OSU and their 59-0 pasting of Wisconsin, considered the huge OSU fan base and the money involved and went wobbly.

Like I said, no apologies, OSU has done some amazing things this year, but TCU did get hosed, and is one of the best teams in the country. Just ask Ole Miss.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2015, 05:33:32 pm »
I know that including Florida State had to be done because of their undefeated status, and understand why the committee did it, but they were the only team in the top four that didn't deserve to be there, and both Baylor and TCU would have been better choices. (Again, selecting 8 teams and not 4 would have solved that issue).

And actually, I think there were a number of people who felt that way well ahead of the selection, so it wasn't exactly 'hindsight' to think they really weren't one of the best four teams in the country.

Obviously as a Buckeye fan, I knew they belonged because I've watched them play all season under very difficult circumstances, and knew after the Michigan State and Wisconsin games that they had what it takes to be a Championship team.  Third string quarterback, very, very young team, but firing on all four pistons at the end of the season.

I think they can beat Oregon if they bring the same team that beat Michigan State, Wisconsin and Alabama to the National Championship next Monday.

(And for the record, it's a clean program with a stellar coach and an avid fan base).

I'll say this much for Ohio State! What they have managed to accomplish despite loosing not one but two starting quarterbacks is nothing short  of amazing!

I don't think they will be able to handle Oregon  but maybe it will still be a good game.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2015, 05:34:39 pm »
I am a Buckeye fan. I won't apologize for the Buckeyes being included, and I don't feel bad in any way.

However, I think TCU got hosed. They were 3rd, and did nothing to lose that place. I think Oregon, Alabama and FSU were locks. You can't exclude an undefeated reigning champ, you just can't. TCU was third, and got dropped after winning? The committee looked at OSU and their 59-0 pasting of Wisconsin, considered the huge OSU fan base and the money involved and went wobbly.

Like I said, no apologies, OSU has done some amazing things this year, but TCU did get hosed, and is one of the best teams in the country. Just ask Ole Miss.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2015, 06:12:21 pm »
I'll say this much for Ohio State! What they have managed to accomplish despite loosing not one but two starting quarterbacks is nothing short  of amazing!
This isn't the NFL, where you can't afford to carry three good quarterbacks on your roster. The NCAA recruiting process is rigged so heavily toward the big schools that most of them carry two or even three starting caliber quarterbacks in their systems. So it's not amazing to me at all, just another symptom of what ESPN has turned college football into.

Offline Relic

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2015, 06:22:25 pm »
This isn't the NFL, where you can't afford to carry three good quarterbacks on your roster. The NCAA recruiting process is rigged so heavily toward the big schools that most of them carry two or even three starting caliber quarterbacks in their systems. So it's not amazing to me at all, just another symptom of what ESPN has turned college football into.

I think you're missing something. Back in the old days, before sometime in the 1970s, the deck was really stacked. The big schools had even more scholarships and could collect 3rd string teams that would demolish most smaller schools. A lot has been done to even the playing field. ESPN has done a lot of bad things to college football, with the knowing participation of fans, but rigging the game for big schools isn't one of them.