Author Topic: Dion Waiters informs NEOMG that he is a Muslim and plans to skip national anthems  (Read 572 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2014/11/dion_waiters_informs_neomg_tha.html

By Chris Haynes, Northeast Ohio Media Group
Follow on Twitter
on November 07, 2014 at 10:11 PM, updated November 09, 2014 at 6:03 AM

Update: Dion Waiters clarifies remarks about his pregame ritual, will be there for anthems

DENVER, Colo. – Prior to the Cavaliers getting set to take on the Utah Jazz on Wednesday, one of their players was missing from the pregame opening events.

Dion Waiters was nowhere to be found when the national anthem was being sung. He was absent when the starting lineups were introduced.

It was the first game of the season that he was coming off the bench. He finally arrived from the locker room to join the Cavaliers' bench a couple seconds before tip off. Folks started to speculate if he was injured, disgruntled or if this was his way of rebelling?

Turns out, Waiters was just acting in accordance with what he feels his religious beliefs are.

Waiters informed Northeast Ohio Media Group that he is a Muslim and that's the reason he excused himself prior to the national anthem.

"It's because of my religion," Waiters told NEOMG. "That's why I stayed in the locker room."

Waiters says he is rededicating himself more to his Muslim faith. He appears to be in a happier state.

The guard, however, did stand with his team during Friday's national anthem before they faced the Denver Nuggets. Maybe he's selective with it.

After the Cavaliers defeated the Nuggets, a game in which Waiters had his best outing of the season with 17 points, he refused to talk any further on the matter.

"I don't really want to talk about that, my religion," he said. "I don't really want to talk about that. I want to talk about basketball."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
I suspect he will start drawing boos in the future.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline mountaineer

On what does he base this apparent belief that his religion forbids him to acknowledge the nation of which he is a citizen? Is it in the Quran?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
On what does he base this apparent belief that his religion forbids him to acknowledge the nation of which he is a citizen? Is it in the Quran?

If true that's good to know that all American Muslims hate the USA..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34