Author Topic: Race row roils NBA  (Read 7245 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Donald Sterling tells NBA he doesn't plan to pay fine
« Reply #150 on: May 17, 2014, 04:59:10 am »
But he is only 50% of the team. We need to consider the wife what was in her contract.
The ownership terms that were initially agreed to by him (or perhaps by her too, if she also signed) remain valid.

But the owners haven't voted yet, and that takes 75% of them. Upon sober reflection, maybe they will fall short of 75.

I predict a negotiated settlement. Or his death, since he is 80 or so. Plus there are threats by players to take actions.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

SPQR

« Reply #151 on: May 17, 2014, 05:01:13 am »
The ownership terms that were initially agreed to by him (or perhaps by her too, if she also signed) remain valid.

But the owners haven't voted yet, and that takes 75% of them. Upon sober reflection, maybe they will fall short of 75.

I predict a negotiated settlement. Or his death, since he is 80 or so. Plus there are threats by players to take actions.

I can agree to that.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #152 on: May 17, 2014, 05:03:39 am »
So this is ending up in court and we will not see resolved for a very long time.

I don't know.

I can tell you that I am close to someone deeply involved in the negotiations between Miami-Dade County and the Heat/Marlins/Dolphins franchises. These negotiations and agreements are not the same as the franchise agreements between the NBA/MBL/NFL, but I can tell you that nearly every adverse circumstance and possible situation that all the lawyers involved can think could possibly come up is considered and an outcome predetermined.

Then, just for those things that they didn't think of, there is a broad clause that covers them.

I think that the NBA fined him because they can legally do it under the terms of their contract with Sterling, and that they have the power to make him sell the franchise because otherwise they wouldn't have told him to.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #153 on: May 17, 2014, 05:05:32 am »
It will be interesting to see what the appeals process judge(s) think.

Is it possible for somebody to waive their own Freedom of Speech just because the NBA charter says so?

This is sanctioned extortion and blackmail, IMHO.

I hope he lives to successfully give the league and all those athletes...er, 'carjackers in shorts' the big finger.

People wave away their freedoms all the time.

Every time anyone waves away their Miranda Rights they are waving away their freedoms.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

SPQR

« Reply #154 on: May 17, 2014, 05:06:29 am »
I don't know.

I can tell you that I am close to someone deeply involved in the negotiations between Miami-Dade County and the Heat/Marlins/Dolphins franchises. These negotiations and agreements are not the same as the franchise agreements between the NBA/MBL/NFL, but I can tell you that nearly every adverse circumstance and possible situation that all the lawyers involved can think could possibly come up is considered and an outcome predetermined.

Then, just for those things that they didn't think of, there is a broad clause that covers them.

I think that the NBA fined him because they can legally do it under the terms of their contract with Sterling, and that they have the power to make him sell the franchise because otherwise they wouldn't have told him to.

I think that Sterling will give it a try and will probably ending up on the losing end of the stick

Online mountaineer

Re: Oprah Winfrey speaks out on Donald Sterling
« Reply #155 on: May 19, 2014, 12:24:35 am »

Just had to post this somewhere!  :laugh:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline flowers

http://www.tmz.com/2014/05/23/donald-sterling-shelly-sterling-clippers-sale-adam-silver-nba

Donald Sterling is no longer the controlling owner of the Los Angeles Clippers ... TMZ Sports has learned he just surrendered control to his estranged wife, Shelly Sterling, and she is now secretly negotiating with the NBA to sell the team ... ON HER TERMS.

Sources close to the Clippers organization tell us ... Donald made the decision because he saw the handwriting on the wall -- as long as he remained in control, the NBA would order an involuntary sale of the team.

Our sources say Shelly and her lawyer, Pierce O'Donnell, have been secretly meeting with NBA Commissioner Adam Silver and NBA lawyers to "resolve the dispute amicably."    We're told Shelly realizes the NBA wants the team sold, but she has significantly more leverage and credibility with the league than Donald.  Her end game is simple -- she won't object to the sale, but SHE wants to call the shots.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

"Mission accomplished! Now, let's place those bids..."
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline SouthTexas

They should file bankruptcy and lay all the players off.

Oceander

They should file bankruptcy and lay all the players off.

why?  do they have debts in excess of their assets?  if not then they cannot file bankruptcy.

Offline SouthTexas

why?  do they have debts in excess of their assets?  if not then they cannot file bankruptcy.

They are being forced to sell, where is the rationalization/justification there?

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Shelly Sterling Accepting Offers for Clippers Sale
« Reply #161 on: May 28, 2014, 12:56:10 am »
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2014/05/27/Shelly-Sterling-Accepting-Offers-for-Clippers-Sale

by Warner Todd Huston 27 May 2014, 4:17 PM PDT

The wife of embattled Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling has officially announced that she is selling the basketball team and is fielding bids for that purpose.

In fact, Shelly Sterling has already scheduled a meeting with former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer to discuss the sale of the NBA team. Others seeking to purchase the team include a group headed by former player Grant Hill, another group fronted by Magic Johnson, and a third featuring Oracle co-founder Larry Ellison and entertainment mogul David Geffen.

Since NBA Commissioner Adam Silver banned Clippers owner Donald Sterling for life from the NBA, the sports world has been waiting for Sterling's decision as to whether or not he was going to sell the team.

Even as he tried apologizing for comments that angered thousands of Americans, it finally came clear that Sterling would have to sell the team. By May 23, Sterling had surrendered control of the team to his estranged wife, Shelly. Three days later, Shelly was reported to have been fielding up to six different offers for the team.

In January of 2014, Forbes magazine estimated the Clippers worth as $575 million, but some are claiming that Sterling may be looking for as much as $1.5 billion.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer to buy Clippers for $2 billion
« Reply #162 on: May 29, 2014, 11:35:58 pm »
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-sn-clippers-sale-ballmer-20140529-story.html

James Rainey

National Basketball AssociationProfessional BasketballBasketballLos Angeles ClippersDonald SterlingMutual Funds
Sterlings to sell Clippers to former Microsoft chief Steve Ballmer for $2 billion

Former Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer won a frenetic bidding war for ownership of the Los Angeles Clippers, with his $2-billion offer setting a record price for an NBA team, The Times has learned.

Ballmer, who was chief executive of Microsoft for 14 years, was chosen over competitors that included Los Angeles-based investors Tony Ressler and Steve Karsh and a group that included David Geffen and executives from the Guggenheim Group, the Chicago-based owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers.

A person with knowledge of the negotiations said the Geffen group bid $1.6 billion and Ressler at $1.2 billion.

The sale price is almost four times the highest previous NBA franchise sale price -- the $550 million paid earlier this month for the Milwaukee Bucks. It is second only to the Dodgers' 2012 sale for $2.1 billion as the highest price for any sports team in North America.

The prospective sale by Clippers co-owner Shelly Sterling comes five days ahead of an NBA hearing to oust her family from ownership following a controversy in which Donald Sterling insulted African-Americans in a secret audio recording.

The tentative deal still must receive the blessing of her husband, Donald Sterling, who has waxed and waned on the question of whether he would allow his wife to sell the team he has controlled for more than three decades.

The deal also needs the eventual approval of 29 other NBA owners, but is expected to clear that hurdle as long as Ballmer reaffirms his pledge to keep the team in Los Angeles and not move it to Seattle, where he lives.

Ballmer, 58, left the software giant in February and has an estimated net worth of $20 billion. Unlike other bidders, he did not immediately seek out partners for the purchase of the Clippers.

Ballmer last year joined a group, led by hedge fund manager Chris Hansen, to bid on the Sacramento Kings, intending to move the team to Seattle. NBA owners voted to reject the proposed move.

The businessman said in a recent interview that he had no intention of moving the Clippers. He said that the high valuations for the team only made sense in Los Angeles -- the second biggest media market in the country.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 11:38:52 pm by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #163 on: May 30, 2014, 12:09:30 am »
UPDATE: We have a winner…an astounding US$2,000,000,000 (that two BILLION, or two to three times the value of an NFL franchise) from Steve Ballmer.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-sn-clippers-sale-ballmer-20140529-story.html

by James Rainey
May 29, 2014

Former Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer won a frenetic bidding war for ownership of the Los Angeles Clippers, with his $2-billion offer setting a record price for an NBA team, The Times has learned.

Ballmer, who was chief executive of Microsoft for 14 years, was chosen over competitors that included Los Angeles-based investors Tony Ressler and Bruce Karsh and a group that included David Geffen and executives from the Guggenheim Group, the Chicago-based owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers, according to three individuals familiar with the negotiations.

One of the individuals with knowledge of the negotiations said the Geffen group bid $1.6 billion and Ressler at $1.2 billion.

(excerpt)

Side note: Guggenheim is the group that Magic Johnson is a part of... and the Geffen group was the one that involved Oprah.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 12:09:57 am by jmyrlefuller »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer to buy Clippers for $2 billion
« Reply #164 on: May 30, 2014, 12:11:18 am »
UPDATE: We have a winner…an astounding US$2,000,000,000 (that two BILLION, or two to three times the value of an NFL franchise) from Steve Ballmer.

by James Rainey
May 29, 2014

Ballmer, who was chief executive of Microsoft for 14 years, was chosen over competitors that included Los Angeles-based investors Tony Ressler and Bruce Karsh and a group that included David Geffen and executives from the Guggenheim Group, the Chicago-based owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers, according to three individuals familiar with the negotiations.

One of the individuals with knowledge of the negotiations said the Geffen group bid $1.6 billion and Ressler at $1.2 billion.

(excerpt)

Side note: Guggenheim is the group that Magic Johnson is a part of... and the Geffen group was the one that involved Oprah.

And they are ALL crazy if you ask me! No way is that franchise worth that amount of money!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #165 on: May 30, 2014, 12:23:18 am »
And they are ALL crazy if you ask me! No way is that franchise worth that amount of money!

Just a toy to Ballmer. I doubt he has any intention to turn a profit.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #166 on: May 30, 2014, 12:26:49 am »
Just a toy to Ballmer. I doubt he has any intention to turn a profit.

Or build a winning team.  I hope they go straight to the bottom of the standings (maybe even displace the Portland Jail-Blazers) and stay there....

Oceander

Re: Shelly Sterling Accepting Offers for Clippers Sale
« Reply #167 on: May 30, 2014, 12:55:17 am »
Holey Moses!  That's almost four times the low-end valuation made by Forbes this January.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #168 on: May 30, 2014, 12:57:29 am »
Or build a winning team.  I hope they go straight to the bottom of the standings (maybe even displace the Portland Jail-Blazers) and stay there....
It wouldn't be unfamiliar for the Clippers. After all, the only reason the team is successful now is because David Stern wouldn't let Chris Paul sign with the Lakers. The NBA is not a particularly transparent league.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #169 on: May 30, 2014, 02:55:32 am »
I was hoping the new owner would move the Clippers to Anaheim. Now it looks like they're going to Seattle.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #170 on: May 30, 2014, 10:27:54 am »
The plot thickens...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/clippers/2014/05/30/donald-sterling-mental-health-shelly-los-angeles-sale-steve-ballmer/9754549/

Donald Sterling ruled mentally unfit, can't prevent Clippers sale
by Brent Schrotenberger
May 30, 2014

Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling does not have the authority to stop a $2 billion sale of his team because he has been determined to be mentally unfit to make decisions related to the family trust, a person familiar with the situation told USA TODAY Sports.

The Sterling Family Trust owns the team, with Donald and his wife Shelly each owning a 50% share. The trust spells out provisions and procedures related to the mental capacity of the trustees, and Donald Sterling did not meet the standard in a determination by experts, giving his wife sole decision-making power for the trust, the person said.

(excerpt)

Oceander

« Reply #171 on: May 30, 2014, 02:00:13 pm »
The plot thickens...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/clippers/2014/05/30/donald-sterling-mental-health-shelly-los-angeles-sale-steve-ballmer/9754549/

Donald Sterling ruled mentally unfit, can't prevent Clippers sale
by Brent Schrotenberger
May 30, 2014

Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling does not have the authority to stop a $2 billion sale of his team because he has been determined to be mentally unfit to make decisions related to the family trust, a person familiar with the situation told USA TODAY Sports.

The Sterling Family Trust owns the team, with Donald and his wife Shelly each owning a 50% share. The trust spells out provisions and procedures related to the mental capacity of the trustees, and Donald Sterling did not meet the standard in a determination by experts, giving his wife sole decision-making power for the trust, the person said.

(excerpt)

As a trustee though, his wife still has to act in the best interests of the trust's beneficiaries and presumably that includes Mr. Sterling.  In particular, she cannot aggrandize herself at the expense of the trust or any of its beneficiaries.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 02:00:46 pm by Oceander »

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #172 on: May 30, 2014, 06:04:07 pm »
Still no closer to getting Seattle our Sonics team back.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Report: Donald Sterling 'mentally incapacitated'
« Reply #173 on: May 30, 2014, 10:01:53 pm »
http://www.hlntv.com/article/2014/05/30/donald-sterling-clippers-mentally-incapacitated?sr=fb053014sterlingmentallyincapacitated6pstorylink

Report: Donald Sterling 'mentally incapacitated'
By Jonathan Anker
updated5:29 PM EDT, Fri May 30, 2014

Determination made after two doctor visits, say sources
Sterling's attorney: He's 'far from being incapacitated'
Team sale negotiated by wife Shelly as a result of diagnosis

Two neurologists have determined that Los Angeles Clippers' co-owner Donald Sterling is mentally incapacitated, following separate observations made by each of the physicians in the last several weeks, according to two sources that have spoken to CNN.

It is for this reason that the sale of the Clippers is currently being negotiated by Sterling's wife, co-owner Shelly Sterling. One of the sources with detailed knowledge of the situation tells CNN that the terms of the Sterling Family Trust dictate that if either co-owner becomes mentally incapacitated, the other co-owner becomes the team's sole trustee.

Friday, Shelly Sterling confirmed that she reached an agreement to sell the team to ex-Microsoft chief Steve Ballmer for $2 billion. The sale still needs to be approved by the NBA's Board of Governors.

Donald Sterling's attorney disputes the description of his client's health. Maxwell Belcher tells CNN Sterling has a "modest mental impairment" and that while he is "slowing down," Belcher says the 80-year-old is "far from being incapacitated."

Asked about the sale of team, Belcher said Sterling "is looking at the whole situation and evaluating where to go from here."
Support the USO

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Report: Donald Sterling 'mentally incapacitated'
« Reply #174 on: May 30, 2014, 10:09:23 pm »
"Your honor, if you are going to call me crazy for paying $12.5 million for the team and selling for $2 billion, so be it. Call me crazy. I've instructed my legal representatives to put up a brief, weak token objection, but then drop it almost immediately."

Signed, Donald Sterling, Esq.
Attorney at Law

* Many people are "slowing down" at age 80

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln