Author Topic: Pets Welcomed  (Read 502154 times)

Offline sinkspur

Re: Pets Welcomed
« Reply #575 on: February 04, 2014, 04:18:35 am »
What a beautiful creature!!  Never seen an owl like that before.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #576 on: February 04, 2014, 04:21:34 am »

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 04:26:11 am by Lando Lincoln »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #577 on: February 04, 2014, 04:29:35 am »
We're All Rooting For The Snowy Owl Hit By A Bus In Downtown D.C. (PHOTOS) (UPDATED)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/31/dc-snowy-owl-_n_4704384.html

There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #578 on: February 04, 2014, 07:49:29 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline happyg

« Reply #579 on: February 04, 2014, 07:57:49 pm »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #580 on: February 05, 2014, 11:34:41 pm »
http://www.today.com/pets/elderly-nuns-adopt-9-year-old-pit-bull-no-one-2D12062402

'Match made in heaven': Elderly nuns adopt aging pit bull
Laura T. Coffey

Sisters Alice Goldsmith, Virginia Johnson and Veronica Mendez (left to right) get acquainted with Remy the dog.

It’s not every day that three women in their 70s and 80s walk into an animal shelter and say they’d like to see a dog that nobody wants.

But to Sisters Veronica Mendez, Virginia Johnson and Alice Goldsmith, nuns who live together in Nyack, N.Y., the request made perfect sense. Why not adopt an animal most in need?

That mindset led them to Remy, a 9-year-old pit bull that had been overlooked by shelter visitors for more than three months.

“As soon as I saw the sign that said ‘9 years,’ I said, ‘This is the one,’” recalled Sister Veronica, 71. “‘No one is going to want this one.’”

In thousands of shelters across the United States, it’s common for senior dogs and pit bulls to languish, unwanted, before being euthanized. Justin Scally, national director of emergency services for the American Humane Association, said both populations of dogs face stigmas for different reasons.

For older dogs, it’s often a perception problem: Many people think it will be too sad to open their homes to dogs over the age of 6 or 7, even though they tend to make the calmest, easiest pets and they’re already house-trained.

It's even worse for pit-bull breeds, whose numbers can skyrocket in shelters when landlords, homeowners’ insurance policies and local communities ban them. (The American Humane Association opposes breed-specific legislation on the grounds that it isn’t effective; the White House agreed with that position last year.)

The nuns’ connection with the dog was immediate. Remy was docile; Remy was sweet. And when given a moment to mingle with the sisters at the shelter, Remy leaned her head into Sister Virginia’s chest and sighed.

“She just got right up there,” said Sister Virginia, 79. “She said, ‘This must be my new family.’”
Sister Virginia Johnson and Remy the dog

Looking for love: Remy instantly felt at ease with Sister Virginia Johnson.

For the nuns, a four-legged addition to their convent could not come fast enough. They were grieving the loss of their dog Kate, a gregarious 7-year-old mutt who had been a boundless source of energy and comedy in their lives.

Kate had left them too quickly. In the course of a weekend, she went from looking healthy to ailing so much from apparent lymphoma that the veterinarian put her down.

“She was healthy one day and then, all of a sudden, lymphoma?” Sister Veronica said. “I was furious. I was so angry. I cried! Oh, how we loved that creature.”

Courtesy of Sister Virginia Johnson
The nuns were bereft when their dog Kate died unexpectedly in January.

The sisters rattled around their house crying for one week before they decisively hopped into their car on Jan. 26. Their mission: Rescue a shelter animal on death row.

Minutes later, they explained their goal to West Artope, executive director of the Hi Tor Animal Care Center in Pomona, N.Y. Artope liked these women. He learned that Sister Alice was 87 and that Sister Virginia, while spunky, often used a walker to get around.

He made a hopeful connection: Remy.

“It just worked out so well,” Artope said. “We did a follow-up with them and went to the house, and the dog is so comfortable in that environment, you wouldn’t believe it. It was like a match made in heaven.”

The nuns said they had no concerns about adopting a pit bull because they could tell how good-natured Remy was. They decided not to dwell on Remy’s age, either.

“Our feelings were that she was in danger of being euthanized, and we wanted to give her the best three of four years she has left,” Sister Veronica said. “Here we are, three senior sisters, so we adopted a senior pet!”

“These women showed compassion and took in this elderly dog that has a negative stereotype simply because of her breed,” said Scally. “It’s just a strong testament that we really need to change our mindset as a society.”
Sister Veronica Mendez and Remy the dog

Sister Veronica plans to take Remy on many long walks.

Between the three of them, Sisters Veronica, Virginia and Alice have spent 179 years serving as nuns. Their main mission has been religious education for children and adults up and down the East Coast.

Remy may not realize it yet, but Veronica has a plan for her: To get her a bit more fattened up and lively after her shelter stint, then take her on long walks and contemplative hikes.

In her new home, Remy can luxuriate on soft dog beds in multiple rooms, romp in the tree-filled backyard and play with toys donated by well-wishers who were thrilled to hear about her rescue. Remy quickly earned herself a nickname — “Thumper” — because of the happy way her heavy tail goes thump-thump-thump whenever any of the nuns approach her or rub her stiff left hip.

Sister Virginia said Remy’s contentment reminds her of foster kids she helped years ago as a social worker. When those children clicked with their adoptive parents, they showed an unmistakable sense of tranquility and relief.

“Remy did that with us — she sensed, ‘These are going to be my people, I can tell,’” Virginia said. “And we knew this was our dog. We could tell.”
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #581 on: February 06, 2014, 12:39:30 am »
Now THAT was a happy story to read....given all the bullsh*t we see everyday.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #582 on: February 06, 2014, 01:07:39 am »
Now THAT was a happy story to read....given all the bullsh*t we see everyday.

Yep.  Pittbulls have a bad rap against them.I don't want one myself, but The Dog Whisperer totally changed my attitude about them.  His Pitt - Daddy was the dog he took everywhere to help him train problem dogs, when Daddy came down with cancer he let Daddy choose Junior his replacement if you will and Junior is a great dog, too... Like Judy Woodhouse said in her book there is no bad dogs, just bad owners.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline happyg

« Reply #583 on: February 06, 2014, 01:17:09 am »
Every once in a while, you will get a pitbull who bites, but that goes with every dog. I think what scares people about them are the huge bites, and non release. When I was a kid, most pets I was around were pitbulls but we thought they were just mutts. I don't recall any of them biting anyone.

I have been around many small dogs that bite, which are mostly irritating. Imagine if they were large dogs with the same temperament? If I were to own a dog again, it would be a Golden Retriever. I love them.

I had two black Dachsunds for years. Pat took them everywhere, and even had them sleeping with him. I moved out when the dogs were around!  I think he  loved them more than me. When he got Alzheimer's it was rough taking care of him and them. He forgot who they were, and one day, I sat them on his lap. He got up and both plopped on the floor. He tripped over them and fell a couple times, so a friend, who takes in stray dogs took them. I still pay "dog support" and pay all their medical bills. I was going to take them back when Pat died, but she was too attached to them. I still miss them, even though they were so ornery.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #584 on: February 06, 2014, 01:20:29 am »
~LOL~ years ago I had Doxies.

BTW I saw on Gabe Dog (Rescue site on Facebook) there is a Portuguese Water Dog (what Obama's have only this one is Chocolate) that was found wandering in Ohio and taken to a shelter and is in danger of being put down - they said it appears to be show quality and has excellent manners -- makes you wonder why a dog like that was turned loose.  He's really pretty.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #585 on: February 06, 2014, 01:55:24 am »
Could have got loose and made it into the next county, perhaps?

Portuguese Water Dogs are highly intelligent, incredibly curious, and very, very fast! One of the four breeds we are considering when the pace of travel dies down and it would be fair for us to have a dog, though the biggest fight at the moment is between a Border Collie (me) and a retired K9 dog (the wife). We need a dog big enough that the cat's won't bully it!
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #586 on: February 06, 2014, 02:28:12 am »
I love dogs.  When they're somebody else's.

My buddy has a white pitbull mix, that was found as the only living puppy among a litter in an old abandoned barn.  The others froze to death.

They tease me...his whole family...that whenever Lola knows it's me at the door, she gets so excited and happy, she pees.

......which is why a cat seems a more logical choice.   LOL!

LOLA!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #587 on: February 06, 2014, 02:36:44 am »
She's pretty, DC.

Have you adopted a new cat yet?

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #588 on: February 06, 2014, 02:39:10 am »
She's pretty, DC.

Have you adopted a new cat yet?

No....that's why this thread was getting to me.   I'm getting itchy...the place seems 'unfinished'.  LOL!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #589 on: February 06, 2014, 02:41:11 am »
No....that's why this thread was getting to me.   I'm getting itchy...the place seems 'unfinished'.  LOL!

Go down to the humane society and check them out, there is so many cats waiting to be rescued and a house isn't a home without a pet.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #590 on: February 06, 2014, 03:31:07 am »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #591 on: February 06, 2014, 05:52:48 am »
Great picture, but I don't like the pronged collars.  One of the best dogs I ever had was a German Shepard.  They are so darned smart it's scary.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #592 on: February 07, 2014, 05:18:45 am »

"How cold IS it, Johnny?"

Offline aligncare

« Reply #593 on: February 07, 2014, 01:19:14 pm »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #594 on: February 07, 2014, 08:02:38 pm »

Offline flowers

« Reply #595 on: February 07, 2014, 08:48:59 pm »

"How cold IS it, Johnny?"
I have those type of birds right now all over the front yard. I haven't seen them on a icicle yet though. It was wild yesterday morning it was minus 30, yet the birds wanted their morning food!!!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 08:50:33 pm by flowers »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #596 on: February 08, 2014, 01:33:50 am »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #597 on: February 08, 2014, 01:35:15 am »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #598 on: February 11, 2014, 09:06:15 pm »

Snowy Egret

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #599 on: February 11, 2014, 10:20:35 pm »
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 10:21:06 pm by DCPatriot »