Author Topic: Pets Welcomed  (Read 504162 times)

Offline happyg

Re: Pets Welcomed
« Reply #500 on: January 17, 2014, 06:39:33 pm »
Touching story, flowers.  8888crybaby

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #501 on: January 17, 2014, 08:07:18 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnZSTkycovg

BEST WATCHED WITH THE SOUND OFF

That's adorable,  Gazoo!   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline happyg

« Reply #502 on: January 17, 2014, 10:52:58 pm »
Did you notice the two cats watching from the porch? I thought that was cute, too, Gazoo.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #503 on: January 18, 2014, 06:34:22 am »

Shadow - AKA Fleabag - in his usual sitting place.

When we found him in the shed he was about 4 days old. Mewing frantically, ice cold and nearly starved to death, his mother the victim of a random fox, and his brothers and sisters cold and dead. He spent his first month of life in my sweatshirt pocket. He'll still try to get in there from time to time, though he can barely get his head in now.
Hates foxes with a passion and will jump on them and ride them up the garden like a furry jockey. He's been trained to say hello when he comes in - the missus insists he does so she knows he doesn't have a mouse in his jaws.
Eats constantly, comes and goes as he pleases, and spends most nights asleep, curled up behind my knees. Has a little habit of walking up the staircase wall if I am carrying him upstairs and - disconcerting to others - will sit at the end of the bath and just look at you if you are on the loo.  :laugh:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline aligncare

« Reply #504 on: January 18, 2014, 03:24:26 pm »

Offline happyg

« Reply #505 on: January 18, 2014, 05:42:12 pm »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #506 on: January 18, 2014, 06:53:05 pm »
Love that , happy.  We came REALLY close to getting a Blue Heeler once, they're incredibly smart dogs.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline happyg

« Reply #507 on: January 18, 2014, 09:55:46 pm »

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #508 on: January 19, 2014, 03:41:12 am »

« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 03:42:40 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #509 on: January 19, 2014, 04:17:21 am »
Heads up. Sunday, February 2nd Hallmark Channel -- The Kitten Bowl........

The previews are very funny...... all kittens........

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/kittenbowl

video previews at the link..........
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #510 on: January 19, 2014, 01:12:14 pm »

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #511 on: January 19, 2014, 01:30:24 pm »
Heads up. Sunday, February 2nd Hallmark Channel -- The Kitten Bowl........

The previews are very funny...... all kittens........

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/kittenbowl

video previews at the link..........

I thought that was on Animal Planet.  Thanks for the heads-up!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #512 on: January 19, 2014, 11:19:55 pm »
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/01/19/the-incredible-bond-a-paralyzed-cat-her-guard-dog-share-is-almost-certain-to-melt-your-heart/

The Incredible Bond a Paralyzed Cat & Her ‘Guard Dog’ Share Is Almost Certain to Melt Your Heart
Jan. 19, 2014 2:46pm Oliver Darcy

The unbreakable love a dog and paralyzed cat share is garnering a lot of attention.

7-month-old paraplegic Ruth and her 2-year-old “guard dog” Idgie — named after the main characters from the movie “Fried Green Tomatoes” because of their incredible bond — were found abandoned at the edge of a Florida driveway three months ago, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

Now, their story is going viral.

Ruth’s “guard dog” is so protective of her that he even “growled and barked” at anyone who approached when rescuers found them.

According to the Orlando Sentinel, the back legs of the cat were found limp and useless with her paws twisted. Animal experts, however, don’t know how they got that way.

“We actually don’t know what’s wrong with her,” Diane Gagliano, program coordinator for Seminole County Animal Services, said. “We think it may have been something she was born with.”

When taken away for treatment, Gagliano says Idgie became very unhappy.

“It was like she was constantly looking for her,” she said.

“I mean, we’ve seen friendships between dogs and cats before, but never anything like this.”

Share:

The duo was given to Jacqueline Borum who has fostered over 1,000 dogs and cats and she says she’s never seen anything like the bond Ruth and Idgie share.

“I mean, we’ve seen friendships between dogs and cats before, but never anything like this,” Borum said.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2014-01-03/news/os-dog-adopts-cat-20140103_1_cat-diane-gagliano-dachshund

Protective Dachshund adopts paralyzed cat

(Red Huber, Orlando Sentinel )
January 3, 2014|By Kate Santich, Orlando Sentinel

In this dog-eat-dog world, we should all be so lucky as to have a friend like Idgie — a friend who refuses to leave our side, even if we're lame and lying in the dirt by a busy road.

That's how Seminole County Animal Services found Idgie — a pudgy 2-year-old Dachshund — standing guard over a 7-month-old paraplegic cat. It was early October and still hot, and someone apparently had dumped the animals by a gated driveway outside Geneva, perhaps hoping the homeowner would take pity on them.

Idgie growled and barked protectively whenever anyone approached. The kitty, it turned out, could only move by dragging herself along by her front legs. The back ones were limp and useless, the paws twisted.

"We actually don't know what's wrong with her," said Diane Gagliano, program coordinator for Seminole County Animal Services. "We think it may have been something she was born with. It was really a strange situation — both of them were found in fairly good shape, not filthy or malnourished, so it seems as though they probably had a home at some point. But on the flip side, no one came and claimed them, and how could the cat get very far without the owner knowing?"

The shelter tried steroid shots to see if that would help the cat, named Ruth, but to no avail. A nonprofit called TEARS, for Together Every Animal Receives Support, paid for a series of experimental therapy and acupuncture — about $150 a session — but that had no effect, either. And every time Ruth was away from Idgie, Idgie was profoundly unhappy.

"It was like she was constantly looking for her," said Gagliano, who had to set up a special pen for the two of them. Usually dogs and cats are segregated at the shelter.

Then her staff contacted Jacqueline Borum, who — in addition to running the Hollywood Houndz Boutique & Spa in Lake Mary — has fostered and found adoptive homes for 1,300 dogs and cats in the past six years. She also has a nonprofit called Project Paws to help fund pet-rescue groups in emergencies.

So now, Idgie and Ruth have a new home at Hollywood Houndz. They nap in a large pen by the front window, the dog curling her body around the cat, who is moved and fed and bathed daily. Idgie gets regular walks and treats and attention from the entire staff, not to mention a parade of customers. But should another pooch approach, Idgie barks and growls as fiercely as a wiener dog can muster.

"Otherwise, she's a total sweetheart," Borum said. "I mean, we've seen friendships between dogs and cats before, but never anything like this."

She named them after the two main characters in "Fried Green Tomatoes," Idgie Threadgoode and Ruth Jamison.

"They stuck together through everything," Borum said. "Of course, Ruth doesn't make it in the end."

It's not certain how long Ruth the cat has, either, especially if her condition is degenerative. But however long it is, Idgie will be by her side.

"Idgie would take a bullet for that cat," Borum said.

ksantich@tribune.com or 407-420-5503

Offline happyg

« Reply #513 on: January 19, 2014, 11:24:14 pm »
What a remarkable story! I wish my son's Boston Terrier and my cats would get along like that.

Offline flowers

« Reply #514 on: January 21, 2014, 09:21:08 pm »

Offline flowers

« Reply #515 on: January 21, 2014, 09:28:42 pm »

LOL.......they say that dogs don't see in color....................YET when our lab used to ride in the bed of my truck, she woud only bark at Forest Service trucks when they passed on the other side of the road. Back then they were painted mint green. I always wondered about that.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #516 on: January 21, 2014, 09:31:47 pm »

LOL.......they say that dogs don't see in color....................YET when our lab used to ride in the bed of my truck, she woud only bark at Forest Service trucks when they passed on the other side of the road. Back then they were painted mint green. I always wondered about that.

Our first Cocker did not like black people.. if we were traveling and stopped for gas.. he ignored all but black-skinned people and then if he was one he would go nuts barking at them.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #517 on: January 23, 2014, 04:46:22 am »

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #518 on: January 23, 2014, 08:39:46 pm »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #519 on: January 23, 2014, 11:40:11 pm »
95.7 KJR
Like This Page · June 10, 2013

Five years ago, a pregnant female deer was hit outside of a Michigan family's home. The doe went into labor and gave birth before she died. Not knowing what to do with the newborn fawn, the couple asked a police officer if they could try and save it and nurse it back to health. He told them sure.

She survived and became a pet and another member of the family. Lilly sleeps on a futon, watches TV with the kids, and even plays with the dogs in the backyard.

After receiving a complaint though, the Michigan Department of Natural Resources is threatening to take Lilly away from the only family she's ever had. They say its against the law to keep a wild animal as a pet. The deer has never lived in the wild though.
If Lilly fails to adjust to a natural habitat, they will put her down.

Do you think the family should be able to keep Lily?

Offline aligncare

« Reply #520 on: January 25, 2014, 02:56:03 am »

How many see the face of their own cat among these kitties?

Offline happyg

« Reply #521 on: January 25, 2014, 03:20:08 am »
The third cat down on the left look like Lizzie and Niall. I got my cats a year apart, and they look exactly alike. They were found in different areas of town. Niall was found on the engine of a car. She was going to be put to 'sleep', but found her way to me. Lizzie was so tiny when she was found. She had worms, fleas, and mites in her ears, and a growth in her mouth. When I had her spayed, they fixed her up. She meowed for the first time a few minutes ago. I thought she didn't have a voice. She's around 6 months old.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #522 on: January 25, 2014, 03:24:12 am »
Our cat was black..... great cat....

How often have you seen a scene like this??? 

Offline happyg

« Reply #523 on: January 25, 2014, 03:34:43 am »
I had to look a couple times to see it. Now, that is a black cat!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #524 on: January 25, 2014, 03:37:13 am »
I had to look a couple times to see it. Now, that is a black cat!

Did you see the bird?  We always let the bird run free when we were home. One day George was laying on the floor scratching the cats back - Charlie (the bird) walked past and George picked him up and set him on Misties back.. he was walking up and down here back and she was purring and really getting into it, then looked over her shoulder and saw it was the bird - she took off like a shot..  I think the bird intimidated her.