Author Topic: Pets Welcomed  (Read 502351 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Pets Welcomed
« Reply #400 on: December 16, 2013, 12:35:31 am »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #401 on: December 17, 2013, 01:31:30 am »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #402 on: December 17, 2013, 03:46:07 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #403 on: December 17, 2013, 04:57:43 pm »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #404 on: December 17, 2013, 08:17:04 pm »
http://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/2013/12/homeless-dog-living-in-a-trash-pile-gets-rescued-and-then-does-something-amazing.html

Homeless dog living in a trash pile gets rescued, and then does something amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xg2G_oINqc

Miley has been surviving for months living on this pile of trash but luckily for her there are organisations such as this, rescuing these poor animals
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #405 on: December 17, 2013, 08:20:40 pm »
Introducing Ping An A Fu stray animal rescue
Sunday, February 24, 2013

In December 2011 in Central China's Jiangsu Province, a picture posted on Facebook of a group of animal activists surrounding a truck that was taking dogs to slaughter. The activists ultimately paid about $8,000 to rescue the dogs that were taken to Ping An A fu stray animal rescue.

What is this Ping An A Fu stray animal rescue? It was started in 2002 by founder Ms. Ha who started taking in strays off the street. Although she's was not a certified vet, she used to run a clinic at 32 Shanghai Lu that took care of basic dog needs. By 2006, she had taken in more than 300 dogs.

In 2007, a government initiative to address Nanjing's growing stray dog population compelled Ms. Ha to step up. The government proposed a culling; she proposed instead to take in more dogs. Recently Ms. Ha's organization made international headlines when she was forced to move all 1,500 dogs and 200 cats to a new shelter in Pukou, because of a government redevelopment project where the previous shelter was located. Now her movement to stop the dog meat trade is spreading quickly. The old, young and college students are joining her movement. The activists have begun stopping trucks along the highway carrying dogs to slaughter and then negotiating their release.

Over the past year, animal lovers have stopped eight other dog-meat sellers along China's roadways and rescued an estimated 2,000 dogs. Where do these dogs go? To Ping An A Fu stray animal rescue of course, where Ms. Ha gladly takes them in. With so many dogs being saved from slaughter, the rescue has run out of room. It cost $200,000.00 a year to feed all the dogs.

Dog meat is legal there, but a growing number of Chinese want it banned. It is part of a shift in attitudes toward animals in China driven by rising incomes, urbanization and increased pet ownership and Ms. Ha. Email: pinganafu@126.com

Offline happyg

« Reply #406 on: December 17, 2013, 08:28:28 pm »
Though Americans don't eat dogs, except maybe a few Muslims, many mistreat them, and the shelters are full. I tried to take Lizzie to a no-kill rescue place, but when I walked in, there were dozens of cats, and even more kittens. I left after giving them a donation, and taking Lizzie with me. At that time, she was just a stray kitty with fleas and worms. Now, she helps run the household. She gets spayed tomorrow, so hope all goes well for her.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #407 on: December 17, 2013, 08:48:15 pm »
Though Americans don't eat dogs, except maybe a few Muslims, many mistreat them, and the shelters are full. I tried to take Lizzie to a no-kill rescue place, but when I walked in, there were dozens of cats, and even more kittens. I left after giving them a donation, and taking Lizzie with me. At that time, she was just a stray kitty with fleas and worms. Now, she helps run the household. She gets spayed tomorrow, so hope all goes well for her.

The healthy pet food store I frequent weekly for my dogs food has two resident black long hair cats - reminds me so much of my former black long-hair - anyway, Dorita brought them in right after she opened the store to help the local shelter find homes for them....... in other words :foster: - they have lived the life of Riley in the store since and she would never let them go. They are brother and sister - the male hides out up and away from customers and the dogs they bring in the store - Mary makes herself at home on the checkout counter where she demands treats all day long.. they finally had to put her on a diet and she pouted for a while, but she is back hanging around the customers now.    I was looking at a rescue place in Orange County, CA the other day and was astonished at the sheer number of Chihuahuas they have looking for homes.  For some reason shelters are over-run with this particular breed right now. 

Offline happyg

« Reply #408 on: December 17, 2013, 09:33:28 pm »
The healthy pet food store I frequent weekly for my dogs food has two resident black long hair cats - reminds me so much of my former black long-hair - anyway, Dorita brought them in right after she opened the store to help the local shelter find homes for them....... in other words :foster: - they have lived the life of Riley in the store since and she would never let them go. They are brother and sister - the male hides out up and away from customers and the dogs they bring in the store - Mary makes herself at home on the checkout counter where she demands treats all day long.. they finally had to put her on a diet and she pouted for a while, but she is back hanging around the customers now.    I was looking at a rescue place in Orange County, CA the other day and was astonished at the sheer number of Chihuahuas they have looking for homes.  For some reason shelters are over-run with this particular breed right now.
Chihuahuas were the rage in Hollywood, but went out of style fast. They are not easy pets to take care of. A friend had one, and it barked at everything, but mostly people. She had a hard time training him to go outside, if it ever did. People get them because they are cute and you can carry them in your purse or whatever, but beyond that, if you don't have genuine love for them, they are more of a nuisance. I wouldn't want one, but I know people who loves their Chihuahuas. I wonder if Paris Hilton's  dog is in the sanctuary?  :shrug:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #409 on: December 17, 2013, 09:44:49 pm »
One of my cousins has one. I hate that thing and it returns the feeling tenfold.

Yet ....

They are intensely loyal, hugely protective of their people, and a lot smarter than the tiny brain and bug eyes would suggest. Hers is totally obedient to her. She can put a plate of food down and Chou (don't blame me for the name) will sit and look at the plate until he is told he can eat.

Their teeth are also incredibly sharp. Don't ask how I found that out!!  :laugh:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline flowers

« Reply #410 on: December 17, 2013, 10:04:46 pm »
http://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/2013/12/homeless-dog-living-in-a-trash-pile-gets-rescued-and-then-does-something-amazing.html

Homeless dog living in a trash pile gets rescued, and then does something amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xg2G_oINqc

Miley has been surviving for months living on this pile of trash but luckily for her there are organisations such as this, rescuing these poor animals

Oh my.....I have alergies my eyes are leaking. If I could I would recue that dog.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #411 on: December 17, 2013, 11:08:31 pm »
Oh my.....I have alergies my eyes are leaking. If I could I would recue that dog.

Same here.  Both this dog and the little black dog - sounds like they are in separate foster homes now.  I hate people who get animals and do this to them. A friend of mine in NM just adopted her second foster - said she is a terrible foster mom - she ends up adopting them ~LOL~..... anyway I guess in NM it is a huge problem with people chaining dogs up and basically ignoring them - the foster group has pics of a dog only 18 months old they rescued.  She was chained to a fence and had puppies - most of the puppies died from getting tangled in the chain and someone came along and took the remaining pups - no one knows who took them or where they ended up, but by the time they rescued this girl she was 40 pounds underweight and had pyrometria , she is doing better now in rescue... I will never understand people who get dogs or cats and mistreat them.

Offline flowers

« Reply #412 on: December 17, 2013, 11:35:38 pm »
I will never understand people who get dogs or cats and mistreat them.
so true. It breaks my heart to hear when that happens.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #413 on: December 19, 2013, 11:06:43 pm »

Great pic of an owl.....

Offline happyg

« Reply #414 on: December 20, 2013, 02:48:32 am »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #415 on: December 20, 2013, 07:50:52 pm »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #416 on: December 20, 2013, 07:54:55 pm »

Offline flowers

« Reply #417 on: December 20, 2013, 09:30:40 pm »

Great pic of an owl.....
Wonderful pic of owl!!!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #418 on: December 23, 2013, 04:36:19 am »
I work adoption events every weekend at Petco here in Staten Island. There's not a weekend that goes by when I don't talk to folks who are looking for a cat to replace the one they've just lost to disease or old age. Emotions and sobbing come pouring from them. They invariably pull out photos and videos of their beloved pets. We usually end up sobbing together and hugging. Half the time I feel like a grief counselor and not just someone facilitating a pet adoption.

I love my volunteer work rescuing cats. But I tell you, it's hard sometimes because we lose so many to euthanasia in city shelters. It's hard knowing these beautiful animals will be killed for the lack of a foster or a forever home.   8888crybaby

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #419 on: December 23, 2013, 04:54:24 am »
I was outside Thursday when a large bald eagle overflew the house and disappeared into the next neighborhood.  It is unusual to see them in this close to civilization; you normally see them out fishing and hanging out in the tops of trees near the river.  We have a good squirrel, rabbit and house cat population around here so when the fish aren't running, the eagles come prowling....

He was an impressive bird with a good six foot wingspan....big bird.

Offline flowers

« Reply #420 on: December 23, 2013, 04:17:14 pm »
I was outside Thursday when a large bald eagle overflew the house and disappeared into the next neighborhood.  It is unusual to see them in this close to civilization; you normally see them out fishing and hanging out in the tops of trees near the river.  We have a good squirrel, rabbit and house cat population around here so when the fish aren't running, the eagles come prowling....

He was an impressive bird with a good six foot wingspan....big bird.

We have a huge owl here. I haven't seen it but 2 others have. We are sure that is what happened to the neighbors cat.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #421 on: December 23, 2013, 06:48:06 pm »
We have a huge owl here. I haven't seen it but 2 others have. We are sure that is what happened to the neighbors cat.

We used to have one.. it had babies and everytime it saw my dogs in the yard after dark it would swoop down right over their heads squawking.. had a HUGE wingspan.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #422 on: December 24, 2013, 01:29:50 am »

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #423 on: December 26, 2013, 06:07:32 am »
Ok, not exactly pets, but still...

YOUTUBE Commentary: Where, oh where, are my baby bears? Some baby bears got stuck in a dumpster over night. Mama bear sat by the dumpster all night listening to her cubs cry. This kept my aunt’s friends awake as well. Watch their rescue!

http://joeforamerica.com/2013/12/votd-12-25-13/

« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 06:08:28 am by Cincinnatus »
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline aligncare

« Reply #424 on: December 26, 2013, 01:37:04 pm »