Author Topic: Pets Welcomed  (Read 502381 times)

Offline happyg

Re: Pets Welcomed
« Reply #375 on: December 07, 2013, 10:01:31 pm »
 :silly:  Loved the video.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #376 on: December 09, 2013, 08:08:52 pm »
Niall, the male cat, lasted about 10 minutes outside. He didn't like the icy rain, and when I rubbed him down with a warm towel, he didn't fight like he usually does.

It is cold! I like you kitty pic. That's the purrfect place for a cat!

I remember a few years ago when my husband was still alive, he took Noah outside during a blizzard.  He wanted to show indoor cat Noah that "outside" wasn't all it was cracked up to be, because he was always trying to get out.  I took a hilarious pic of my smiling husband holding a thoroughly pissed-off Noah with his ears all down flat, glaring at all the snow coming down.  ^-^

888catbed

Offline happyg

« Reply #377 on: December 09, 2013, 08:52:45 pm »
I remember a few years ago when my husband was still alive, he took Noah outside during a blizzard.  He wanted to show indoor cat Noah that "outside" wasn't all it was cracked up to be, because he was always trying to get out.  I took a hilarious pic of my smiling husband holding a thoroughly pissed-off Noah with his ears all down flat, glaring at all the snow coming down.  ^-^

888catbed

LOL! Lizzie has never been outside, but lately, she rushes for the door at every opportunity. Then, she stands there watching Niall. She hasn't been spayed, yet, and I'm not going to take a chance of having a dozen kittens to try to get rid of. Besides, I want to keep her indoors. I'm going to try your husband's trick.   :silly:

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #378 on: December 09, 2013, 09:03:42 pm »
Lizzie has never been outside

Gypsy's daughter, Esmeralda, has also never really been outside. On a few occasions she has gone out a few feet but something always spooks her and she darts right back in. One time it was a gust of wind which blew a leaf toward her. Lol.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline happyg

« Reply #379 on: December 09, 2013, 09:07:19 pm »
Lizzie has never been outside

Gypsy's daughter, Esmeralda, has also never really been outside. On a few occasions she has gone out a few feet but something always spooks her and she darts right back in. One time it was a gust of wind which blew a leaf toward her. Lol.

I hope Lizzie gets spooked. I worry when Niall is outside, but he was a little older when we got him, and was used to being out.

Offline happyg

« Reply #380 on: December 11, 2013, 03:48:37 pm »
I took Lizzie to the vet for a checkup, and the abscess is a lot smaller, and doesn't look so gross. The vet said it wasn't cancer, that she probably got it while living on the streets. She wasn't ready to be weaned when the kids found her, so I reckon she ate something that cut her. They are going to spay her next week.

On the bright side, Lizzie meowed for the first time. I was driving and listening to the radio, and kept hearing a squeak. I thought it was my car, so turned the radio off, and saw it was coming from her. By the time we got home, her squeak got louder, but still feeble. It's funny to hear her weak, small voice.

Offline flowers

« Reply #381 on: December 11, 2013, 05:03:34 pm »
I took Lizzie to the vet for a checkup, and the abscess is a lot smaller, and doesn't look so gross. The vet said it wasn't cancer, that she probably got it while living on the streets. She wasn't ready to be weaned when the kids found her, so I reckon she ate something that cut her. They are going to spay her next week.

On the bright side, Lizzie meowed for the first time. I was driving and listening to the radio, and kept hearing a squeak. I thought it was my car, so turned the radio off, and saw it was coming from her. By the time we got home, her squeak got louder, but still feeble. It's funny to hear her weak, small voice.

I am so happy for the great news. Watch it....now that she knows she has a voice, she will talk your ear off!!!  LOL!!! What color is she? Long hair? Short?

Offline happyg

« Reply #382 on: December 11, 2013, 05:13:47 pm »
I am so happy for the great news. Watch it....now that she knows she has a voice, she will talk your ear off!!!  LOL!!! What color is she? Long hair? Short?

Here's a bad picture of them. Niall is sitting and Lizzie is the smaller one.

Offline flowers

« Reply #383 on: December 11, 2013, 05:28:42 pm »
Here's a bad picture of them. Niall is sitting and Lizzie is the smaller one.

:th_10444:

Offline TheMom

« Reply #384 on: December 12, 2013, 12:32:23 pm »
Stop by here http://memorialbuzz.com/2013/12/2013-memorial-buzz-pet-of-the-year-contest/ and vote for Hairy.

The following is the write-up in the February issue of the magazine holding the contest:

Hairy, age 8
Jack Russell/Australian Terrier
Chimney Rock

My mom was on an adventure to Florida when she found me. I was only 3 weeks old. She picked up one of my brothers first, but then I winked at her, and that was all it took. I was too young to go with her right then, so I got to fly to Texas on an airplane. I have a very exciting life. We have a big yard and there are lots of critters to chase. I am a hunter, not a ball player, so I chase rabbits, squirrels and the occasional rat. I even catch something once in awhile. Mom decided that we should join Faithful Paws Pet Therapy group. Mom and I go to the Forum to visit folks who don’t get to visit with dogs every day. They sure do enjoy our visits! We have been to hospitals, where folks are really sick, and we make them feel better. I love it because I get lots of petting, not to mention treats.

Hairy's human is a friend (Ditter on FR).  I know Hairy, he really is a sweet heart.
I'm fluent in three languages: English, Sarcasm, and Profanity.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #385 on: December 13, 2013, 01:32:00 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline happyg

« Reply #386 on: December 13, 2013, 02:28:02 pm »
Yep, DC. I was never a cat lover, until I had two tiny strays foisted on me against my will. They are fascinating creatures with personalities, who even show affection. I learned a lot. It makes me sick to see how cats are treated. Both animals came to me with ear mites and fleas. Lizzie had worms. It cost me $300 to get them back to health.

A man, who is a cat rescuer, was in the vet's office getting a cat neutered. He said his organization had neutered/spayed over 175 cats and had to put them back where they got them because there was no place in the shelters for them. And, that was only the tip of the cat population!

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #387 on: December 13, 2013, 02:50:11 pm »
Yep, DC. I was never a cat lover, until I had two tiny strays foisted on me against my will. They are fascinating creatures with personalities, who even show affection. I learned a lot. It makes me sick to see how cats are treated. Both animals came to me with ear mites and fleas. Lizzie had worms. It cost me $300 to get them back to health.

A man, who is a cat rescuer, was in the vet's office getting a cat neutered. He said his organization had neutered/spayed over 175 cats and had to put them back where they got them because there was no place in the shelters for them. And, that was only the tip of the cat population!

I never had a pet growing up....lived in the city in an upper flat duplex owned by my Sicilian grandmother.

A few years ago, I found myself putting Fancy Feast in a dish on my front stoop for a neighborhood orange tabby we nicknamed "Streets" who over the course of a year, fathered about a half dozen or so. 

I trapped "Streets" and had him vetted and neutered, then released him back.  He almost allowed me to pick him up...."almost" being a key word.  LOL

Now that I've had to put Rubis down....I'm thinking of another rescue.   For "it" and me!   

House just seems so empty without a pet.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #388 on: December 13, 2013, 03:06:36 pm »
I never had a pet growing up....lived in the city in an upper flat duplex owned by my Sicilian grandmother.

A few years ago, I found myself putting Fancy Feast in a dish on my front stoop for a neighborhood orange tabby we nicknamed "Streets" who over the course of a year, fathered about a half dozen or so. 

I trapped "Streets" and had him vetted and neutered, then released him back.  He almost allowed me to pick him up...."almost" being a key word.  LOL

Now that I've had to put Rubis down....I'm thinking of another rescue.   For "it" and me!   

House just seems so empty without a pet.

May I suggest one thing, my friend? Wait a couple of months.

It lets the pain fade. You don't want Rubis Mk.2. You want a cat with it's own character to both enjoy and explore and get to know.

In February, the shelters get full. Christmas kitties who's "owners" suddenly realize that a cat is a living being with it's own needs, not just a toy.

You are a good cat person. I'd trust you to take care of and love Shadow (AKA Fleabag) and Nameless in a second.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #389 on: December 13, 2013, 04:41:19 pm »
May I suggest one thing, my friend? Wait a couple of months.

It lets the pain fade. You don't want Rubis Mk.2. You want a cat with it's own character to both enjoy and explore and get to know.

In February, the shelters get full. Christmas kitties who's "owners" suddenly realize that a cat is a living being with it's own needs, not just a toy.

You are a good cat person. I'd trust you to take care of and love Shadow (AKA Fleabag) and Nameless in a second.

I'll wait, EC.....think that's a good idea.

And thank you for your kind words.   :beer:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #390 on: December 13, 2013, 06:30:45 pm »
I'll wait, EC.....think that's a good idea.

And thank you for your kind words.   :beer:

Actually, I disagree with EC.  Having lost a lot of dogs over the years, one never replaced the one before, just like people, our pet's all have their own unique personality and they all give us love and companionship.  ...when we lost Sandy George was devastated by her death, within week's we rescued Mellie and she took one look at him and said.. you're mine... and he was.  We had her too short a time, but she was such a special girl and came into our lives when she was needed and needing...She didn't replace Sandy, but she found her own place in our hearts.  BTW when we let George's ashes go we let Sandys go at the same time. 

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #391 on: December 13, 2013, 07:36:24 pm »
Wow, what a nice story, Rapunzel.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #392 on: December 13, 2013, 07:57:37 pm »
Wow, what a nice story, Rapunzel.

Our first Brandy was a special boy and we had him for 15 years. I can still see him sitting up in the front seat of our van as we drove out here in 1994 - he was our first "baby" and the greatest traveler ever, we could stop and tell him go pee and he would and then jump back in his seat and off we'd go.. snuck that dog into more hotel rooms than you can imagine, he would be so impatient in the morning waiting for me to get dressed so we could go and take him somewhere to relieve himself....   

Then one day we were at the mall to go to the movie on my birthday - killing time we wandered into a pet store (I know!!!) and in a cage was this little blond puppy with a freckle nose, she looked so sweet and innocent...... George said NO!!! we already have a dog.  I could usually get anything I really wanted from him, but also knew when no meant no so all weekend I thought about this puppy, but didn't say anything.  Monday I stayed home from work and it was raining and George was really late getting home (very unusual for him)...... finally the phone rang and he asked how I was feeling and if I was dressed?  better and no -- well get dressed, I'll be home in a couple of minutes...     when he got home we headed back out and he didn't tell me where we were going (very mysterious) when we pulled into the mall parking lot I started to figure it out...

He had stopped on the way home from work to see this puppy in one of their little play rooms and she just stole his heart - seems he thought about her all weekend as well - ....... from the day she came home she drug Brandy around by the ears and she was a character... we nick-named her Houdini dog because she was always in trouble.. one day we came home from work and she had shredded everything she could find (paper sacks, toilet paper, newspapers, photographs, etc....)  we had to use a rake and trash can to clean up the family room.   One day the neighbor asked if we knew she was escaping and walking our wall out to the street and back (she was actually propelling herself onto the top of a 6 foot wall to do this) so George put bird netting over the RV section to keep her in and we would find teeth marks where she jumped up and twirled by her teeth...... one day came home and no sign of her - she had tried to go through the wrought iron gate and was stuck in the gate.....   one day we were in the garage potting a fern and had the van backed part way out of the garage ... we heard horns honking in the street and looked out - it was the day after Halloween and someone had smashed a pumpkin in the street - she had snuck past us and was laying in the middle of the street eating pumpkin... this is the only time she ever received a swat with a newspaper..   

She LOVED swiming and boating and the lake, she actually mildewed when we went to Lake Powell for a week because she was wet the whole week. We used to have to wash her with Woolite before heading home.   Even after she was totally blind and deaf she swam.. she would touch the side of the boat with her nose to get her bearings and then swim in circles.. but she loved to fish - she would hang on the back of the boat watching for Blue Gill (attracted to her ears) and the dive in after them, swim to the front of the boat and run back to the step in the back to repeat it all over again.... so George made her a step where she could swim back onto the back of the boat and not have to run through the entire boat getting everything wet in her path.    She wasn't the prettiest cocker we've ever had, but she was certainly the biggest personality of any dog we were blessed to share our lives with.... 
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #393 on: December 13, 2013, 07:58:06 pm »
Actually, I disagree with EC.  Having lost a lot of dogs over the years, one never replaced the one before, just like people, our pet's all have their own unique personality and they all give us love and companionship.  ...when we lost Sandy George was devastated by her death, within week's we rescued Mellie and she took one look at him and said.. you're mine... and he was.  We had her too short a time, but she was such a special girl and came into our lives when she was needed and needing...She didn't replace Sandy, but she found her own place in our hearts.  BTW when we let George's ashes go we let Sandys go at the same time.

That is a lovely story.

It is a hard call. Wait, or rescue again within weeks.

We've always preferred to wait a couple of months (of course, that didn't always work out! Coming downstairs in the morning and seeing a stray neatly sitting in the kitchen is not exactly a rare occurrence!). Mourn, let the kids mourn. It's a personal choice. However - the bolded bit? You guys did right in this case.  :beer:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #394 on: December 14, 2013, 10:14:01 pm »
Remember that video about the dogs being intimidated by the cats? Check this out.

http://www.caintv.com/usa-today-video-cat-vs.alligat

Offline happyg

« Reply #395 on: December 14, 2013, 10:31:25 pm »
Remember that video about the dogs being intimidated by the cats? Check this out.

http://www.caintv.com/usa-today-video-cat-vs.alligat

I loved that video. I thought that cat was a goner!

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #396 on: December 15, 2013, 01:47:38 pm »

Offline happyg

« Reply #397 on: December 15, 2013, 03:06:30 pm »
Our first Brandy was a special boy and we had him for 15 years. I can still see him sitting up in the front seat of our van as we drove out here in 1994 - he was our first "baby" and the greatest traveler ever, we could stop and tell him go pee and he would and then jump back in his seat and off we'd go.. snuck that dog into more hotel rooms than you can imagine, he would be so impatient in the morning waiting for me to get dressed so we could go and take him somewhere to relieve himself....   

That first paragraph drew me in. It was like reading the opening of a book. Someone should write a book with stories about their pets. Or perhaps gather a bunch of pet stories and put them in one book. I really enjoyed reading your post.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #398 on: December 15, 2013, 05:33:00 pm »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #399 on: December 15, 2013, 06:35:37 pm »
That first paragraph drew me in. It was like reading the opening of a book. Someone should write a book with stories about their pets. Or perhaps gather a bunch of pet stories and put them in one book. I really enjoyed reading your post.

Thanks, happy.  I truly believe people who don't like pets ... be it a dog or a cat miss out on so much in life, and I will never understand people who get a dog and just chain it up in the yard and/or mistreat it.  I look back at our dogs and every one is --- or was -- special in its own way.  My Daisy is 13, blind, deaf, has Cushings, costs me a fortune every Mont for medicine, but she still gets around, eats good, goes out on her own to potty... the other day a neighbor actually asked when I was going  to put her down.. really irritated me.  When she stops eating or starts having accidents on herself I will consider it then, but as long as she's in no pain and happy I will care for her... poor thing has  growth on her leg, don't want yo put her through surgery so I devised a way for her to wear tights..so she can't lick... little girl tights in all colors from Wal-Mart wit a cutout for her tail an potty parts, works perfectly..