Author Topic: Pets Welcomed  (Read 502392 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Pets Welcomed
« Reply #275 on: April 19, 2013, 03:42:02 am »
Too funny!  Did she find the pie?

She was just going for it when we caught her in the act...... never left the fridge open with her in the room again... now I count every day I still have her as a blessing, had her to the vet today and she has glaucoma on top of her cataracts now and a heart murmur.. but she has been the best dog and kept us entertained for a lot of years.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

famousdayandyear

« Reply #276 on: April 19, 2013, 03:53:15 am »
Animals are the very best for love/entertainment.  This is NOT my cat -- but looks like him.   :beer:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #277 on: April 19, 2013, 03:55:47 am »
Oh, that's funny!  Whose cat was it?
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #278 on: May 10, 2013, 07:40:32 am »
Pets may help cut heart disease risk: American Heart Association

(Reuters) - Anyone wanting to live longer and cut their risk of suffering from heart disease might want to consider getting a pet.

The American Heart Association (AHA) issued a scientific statement on Thursday saying owning a pet may help to decrease a person's risk of suffering from heart disease and is linked with lower levels of obesity, blood pressure and cholesterol.

"Pet ownership, particularly dog ownership, is probably associated with a decreased risk of heart disease," Glenn N. Levine, a professor at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, said in a statement.

A study of more than 5,200 adults, cited by the AHA, showed dog owners were more physically active than non-owners because they walk their pets. Other research has revealed the calming effects of pets, which are used in animal-assisted therapy programs.

more at:  http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/09/us-heart-pets-idUSBRE94810U20130509

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #279 on: May 10, 2013, 04:54:24 pm »
The lower obesity rate could be from pet owners being more likely to walk their pets....    But it has been proven taking pets into nursing homes changes the heart rates of the residents when they are petting animals - dogs or cats. 

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #280 on: May 15, 2013, 02:22:19 am »

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #281 on: May 15, 2013, 03:00:30 am »
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #282 on: May 20, 2013, 11:44:58 pm »
Cat interrupts man's video in the funniest way!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=508955285837612
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #283 on: May 22, 2013, 06:12:56 pm »
Takara my 13 Year old Shiba Inu

I'm afraid my now 14 year old Shiba Inu is now deaf. I was wondeirng why he stopped running to the door when he heard the garage door open, signaling my return home. Other than his hearing he is still doing great, and I pray God blesses me with him for many more months.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #284 on: May 22, 2013, 06:53:35 pm »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #285 on: May 22, 2013, 07:47:12 pm »
I'm afraid my now 14 year old Shiba Inu is now deaf. I was wondeirng why he stopped running to the door when he heard the garage door open, signaling my return home. Other than his hearing he is still doing great, and I pray God blesses me with him for many more months.

14 is outstanding.  My oldest girl will be 13 in July. She is deaf and totally blind in one eye, the other has cataracts, but she can still see light in that eye.  Recently diagnosed with Cushings I am either running her to the vet for tests or going out to Walmart to pick up a prescription every time I turn around... however she is just the best dog imaginable, and as long as she is happy I'll do whatever I can for her.  I never had a dog housebreak as easy as her, the first time she circled head down, tail up I picked her up and took her outside and then my husband showed her the doggie door and to this day she still makes it outside to do her business... she used to refuse to drink when we traveled so she didn't have to pee...  for the first 18 months of her life she took a nap every day from 11 - 3 (we had a playpen for her in our bedroom)..  we would go in to get her up from her nap and she would be sitting there patiently waiting for us to come and let her out to go potty.... then one day she decided no more naps and we put her down and she jumped out and met us in the kitchen.. put her back in the playpen and she did it again... so we said okay, no more naps and put her playpen away; she has always been the calmest, sweetest dog imaginable.

« Reply #286 on: May 23, 2013, 12:10:48 am »
I used to have a backyard turtle when I lived in North Texas.  He just kind of lived on our land.  I called him Fast Eddie.  He loved canteloupe.  :laugh:

« Reply #287 on: May 23, 2013, 12:11:23 am »

« Reply #288 on: May 23, 2013, 12:20:26 am »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #289 on: May 23, 2013, 12:27:28 am »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #290 on: May 23, 2013, 01:04:41 am »
At 14 Years old Takara is still a fine looking fellow. This photo taken a few weeks ago.  It breaks my heart he will not be able to hear my voice anymore with his deafness, but for whatever time God allows him to remain here with us we will shower him with love each and every day.

[attachment deleted by admin]
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #291 on: May 23, 2013, 01:17:21 am »
At 14 Years old Takara is still a fine looking fellow. This photo taken a few weeks ago.  It breaks my heart he will not be able to hear my voice anymore with his deafness, but for whatever time God allows him to remain here with us we will shower him with love each and every day.

He's beautiful!  (I like your tulips, too)  nice yard.

« Reply #292 on: May 23, 2013, 06:51:28 pm »
Canteloupe, eh?  Thanks, Lipstick, I've been wondering.  I had some fresh strawberries and he loved that mush.  Then, I found an unfinished strawberry daquiri cup that had been overtaken with those damn bugs with the pincers in their butts, but they seemed to have been attracted to the strawberries and drowned by the rum...lol...Terrie munched those diown in no time, then appeared to be a bit tipsy, or perhaps that was just me.. :pondering:.

Fast Eddie seemed to enjoy the slimy wet canteloupe seeds too as I recall.  I bought a bag of shredded carrot to feed to a baby rabbit that has taken up residence under one of my bushes.   He sure enjoys it and it keeps him from munching away on my calla lilly sprouts coming up. 

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #293 on: May 24, 2013, 07:23:25 pm »
Interesting news for you, Mudboy Slim. Sorry to be late with this but did you know yesterday was World Turtle Day?

How do I know this? Because one of my children posted it on FB with a link to Greenpeace International, a group she "likes". (Hey, she's young).

In any case if you go to that FB page they have bunches of pictures of turtles and comments, some humorous, some purely wacko.

If interested: https://www.facebook.com/greenpeace.international

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #294 on: May 30, 2013, 11:14:36 am »

Not mine. Just funny as hell.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #295 on: May 30, 2013, 09:00:54 pm »
That's funny. Reminds me my friends in Florida told me the other day they looked out in the backyard and a baby Armadillo had come under their fence and was playing with one of their Cockers... he said it was the funniest thing he'd seen in a long time...  alas he blocked off where it entered - said there is a whole family on the other side of his fence...

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #296 on: May 31, 2013, 08:29:41 pm »
Baby armadillos, eh?  Don't see many of them on the East Coast...lol. :seeya:

I guess they are common in the St. Augustine, FL area.

« Reply #297 on: May 31, 2013, 09:14:06 pm »
Mud, check out this turtle-I snapped him in Dewey Beach...

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #298 on: June 01, 2013, 05:07:28 am »

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #299 on: August 08, 2013, 08:56:54 pm »

They are ducklings.