Author Topic: Pets Welcomed  (Read 502227 times)

Offline Kamaji

Re: Pets Welcomed
« Reply #6600 on: April 28, 2023, 12:56:07 pm »

Offline verga

« Reply #6601 on: April 28, 2023, 12:58:45 pm »
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6602 on: April 28, 2023, 01:51:20 pm »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6603 on: April 28, 2023, 02:34:10 pm »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6604 on: April 28, 2023, 02:41:08 pm »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6605 on: April 28, 2023, 02:43:36 pm »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6606 on: April 28, 2023, 03:25:31 pm »

This is the color pattern of my son's Frenchie (girl) "Bama", now 6.   (Fawn with black mask/ear rims)

It's been 2 weeks since I babysat and I still miss the hell out of her.   8888crybaby

Too old now to get one for myself...

@DCPatriot

No,you are not. Call your local vets and animal shelters and tell them you  are looking for an elderly "Frenchie" that needs a good home.

Almost nobody wants to adopt elderly animals because  they all want  puppies. As a result,a lot of adult dogs and cats get put  down  after their owners die,go off to  a nursing home,etc,etc,etc,because nobody wants them.

Do both yourself and an animal a favor and adopt an elderly pooch that needs a home. You will both benefit from it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6607 on: April 28, 2023, 03:27:12 pm »

@Kamaji

I bet the dogs there went freaking nuts!

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #6608 on: April 28, 2023, 03:30:23 pm »
@DCPatriot

No,you are not. Call your local vets and animal shelters and tell them you  are looking for an elderly "Frenchie" that needs a good home.

Almost nobody wants to adopt elderly animals because  they all want  puppies. As a result,a lot of adult dogs and cats get put  down  after their owners die,go off to  a nursing home,etc,etc,etc,because nobody wants them.

Do both yourself and an animal a favor and adopt an elderly pooch that needs a home. You will both benefit from it.

I agree about getting an older dog. The two best dogs we ever owned were “elderly” adoptions.

Edit: by “elderly”, I mean 7+ years old. They were not puppies, but we did have them each for 5 or more years.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 03:39:30 pm by debrawiest »
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #6609 on: April 28, 2023, 03:31:51 pm »
@DCPatriot

Sorry Pete, but the problem is that if you adopt elderly dogs, you have to go through the constant pain of their loss.  We are still feeling the loss of ours from last October.  I understand your sentiment, but I don't think I would want to go through this every 2-3 years.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6610 on: April 28, 2023, 04:11:30 pm »
Sorry Pete, but the problem is that if you adopt elderly dogs, you have to go through the constant pain of their loss.  We are still feeling the loss of ours from last October.  I understand your sentiment, but I don't think I would want to go through this every 2-3 years.

@catfish1957

I understand. Trust me on this. I still miss my  dobie to this very day,and she died in 1980.

Still,if you can,adopt an adult dog or cat and take heart in the fact that you gave them a few more years of enjoyable life instead of a sudden death in the "pet gas chamber". Both  you and they will greatly benefit from it.

I,personally,focus  on rescuing stray cats  and finding homes  for them because there are already so many  people and organizations doing this for dogs,but very few doing it for cats.

Besides,it's easier for me to give a cat I have caught and tamed to someone that wants it than it would be to give a dog  away.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6611 on: April 28, 2023, 04:45:55 pm »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6612 on: April 28, 2023, 06:00:51 pm »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6613 on: April 28, 2023, 06:14:45 pm »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6614 on: April 28, 2023, 06:20:58 pm »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6615 on: April 28, 2023, 06:33:27 pm »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6616 on: April 28, 2023, 06:33:55 pm »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6617 on: April 28, 2023, 06:34:50 pm »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6618 on: April 28, 2023, 06:35:16 pm »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6619 on: April 28, 2023, 06:41:59 pm »

@Kamaji

I remember when I moved from Colorado to the coastal east,and let my dobie free to run across the dunes and to the beach. She was excited beyone belief to find that much open space.

And then she crested the dune line at full throttle,and damn near ran into the Atlantic Ocean at high tide before she could stop.

I don't think "shocked" is a strong enough word to describe her reaction. Once she got her wits  about her,she hauled ass over the dune line again,and there just wasn't any way to talk her into going back again.

Nor was I going to try to get her to do something she didn't want to do. She was my friend,not my slave.

Offline verga

« Reply #6620 on: April 28, 2023, 07:12:29 pm »
@DCPatriot

@sneakypete Over the years you have said some things that I disagree with and many things I heartily agree with. I think I agree with this the most. An older rescue will be the most loyal loving animal you can have. They just "know" when they have been pulled from the mouth of death, and will reward you with love an affection you can't imagine.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline verga

« Reply #6621 on: April 28, 2023, 07:17:02 pm »
@catfish1957

I understand. Trust me on this. I still miss my  dobie to this very day,and she died in 1980.

Still,if you can,adopt an adult dog or cat and take heart in the fact that you gave them a few more years of enjoyable life instead of a sudden death in the "pet gas chamber". Both  you and they will greatly benefit from it.

I,personally,focus  on rescuing stray cats  and finding homes  for them because there are already so many  people and organizations doing this for dogs,but very few doing it for cats.

Besides,it's easier for me to give a cat I have caught and tamed to someone that wants it than it would be to give a dog  away.
@catfish1957 @sneakypete Pete is dead on correct. Over the years I have only known 2 dogs that "Earned Euthanasia". I miss my Raimo every day. But if we had not taken in this latest one he would have had to be put down through no fault of his own.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6622 on: April 28, 2023, 08:01:53 pm »
@sneakypete Over the years you have said some things that I disagree with and many things I heartily agree with. I think I agree with this the most. An older rescue will be the most loyal loving animal you can have. They just "know" when they have been pulled from the mouth of death, and will reward you with love an affection you can't imagine.

@verga

And THAT,is the absolute truth. My dobie was a rescue. Believe it or not,but she followed my cat home one day. The cat ran free all day,and would come and scratch  at the door when she wanted to come in. She did this late one afternoon,and when I opened the door to let her in,a fully-grown Doberman followed her into the house,jumped up in a chair,turned a circle,and laid down  to take a nap.

To this very day I have NO freaking  idea how that cat,who had the temperment of Satan,and that fully-grown doberman hooked up. I was living on a horse ranch outside of Denver,so I didn't really have any neighbors,and I had never seen the dog before.

The cat was a rescue too,and had lived with me for a few months before the dobie followed her home,and at that time I couldn't even touch her without getting scratched or bitten. Yet,when I came home from work and let the cat in the house,the dobie  would lick her until she was dripping with slober,and the cat would be purring and doing figure 8's between her front legs.

People would come over that I didn't know very well and be afraid of the dobie but want to pet the cat,and I would warn them to leave the cat alone,but the dobie was safe to pet. Most didn't seem to believe me,and a few learned I was telling the truth the hard way.

BTW,the cat came from the only other house on the ranch. The people living there moved away,and left the cat locked inside the house with no food or water,so I broke a basement window so she could get out. And,of course,she followed me in the house and pretty much demanded I feed her,so I gave her some water and drove off to buy catfood.

Then,when she brought her "new friend" home,I had to drive off and buy some dog food.

I have never loved anything or anybody the way I loved that dobie. Best damn dog that ever lived.  Her loss is why I can't own dogs  anymore,so I rescue cats  and find homes for them.  For some odd reason,the dobie loved that nasty-tempered female cat as much as the cat loved her,and to this day that still remains a mystery to me.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #6623 on: April 28, 2023, 09:16:45 pm »
@DCPatriot

@sneakypete @verga

As far as an older Frenchie 'rescue'...of course I would consider one.

But let's be honest.  They're $3,500 and up!  My son paid $4K before the litter even arrived.

So the chances of finding one in a shelter are slim to none.

But that's not the point.  I've already played the back-nine and I'm in the clubhouse with my shoes off...front of the fireplace...wrapped in a blanket.

Luckily, I have my cat already claimed.  I will NOT leave my pets to a shelter! 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6624 on: April 28, 2023, 09:48:58 pm »
@sneakypete @verga

As far as an older Frenchie 'rescue'...of course I would consider one.

But let's be honest.  They're $3,500 and up!  My son paid $4K before the litter even arrived.So the chances of finding one in a shelter are slim to none.

@DCPatriot

YIKES! I had no idea they were that expensive,and that also means there will be none open for adoption.

You will have to settle for a "lower-priced mutt". The good news is they are every bit as lovable as the "Frenchie",even if they look different. From MY experience with  dogs,every breed I have ever seen is loyal and loving as long as they aren't abused.

You just can't go wrong adopting any dog you see at a shelter who wags his or her tail when you approach their cage,and there is no shortage of these animals.

You might even consider adopting one that is scared and trying to hide from you while you are at it. These dogs have been mistreated,but it really doesn't take long for them to realize they are now living in a "new world" and nobody is going to beat or starve them. When they do,the level of their affection will amaze you. It will also make it easier for you to find a new and good home for them if you don't want to keep the animal for yourself. Which,of course,will make you feel good about yourself in return. Win/win for everyone.

Luckily, I have my cat already claimed.  I will NOT leave my pets to a shelter!

I like cats too,and rescue and try to  find homes for the ones who have been abandoned.

BUT.......,they ain't  dogs. Dogs are special in this world.