Author Topic: Pets Welcomed  (Read 502095 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: Pets Welcomed
« Reply #1900 on: September 08, 2021, 04:20:37 pm »
I hear you! Who's gonna tell him that he's not? :silly:

:beer:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1901 on: September 08, 2021, 04:51:23 pm »
I tend to agree. They're surely someone I'm not interested in spending time with.

I'm sorry you got off to a rough start with dogs. Perfectly understandable to develop a fear after those experiences. But at least you got there!

I was like a magnet to dogs from day one. I've loved them all my life -- a love that has deepened as I've gotten older. I love all dogs. Big, little and all those in between. I prefer to own little dogs because I'm little (under 5'), I can get more of them on the couch/bed/my lap at one time. I can carry 2 at a time even with the limitations my doctor put on me, and they cost MUCH LESS to feed. Waaaaay less! I've talked to people in the pet store who were buying a month's supply of food for their big dogs in amounts that would have lasted both my dogs for an entire year! That's when I realized I'd never have enough money to feed a big dog. But I do love them all. The company of humans is tolerable (for the most part); the company of dogs is heavenly. 

How fun! I'd love to spend time with a puppy. They're so irresistible and energetic. At my advanced age, I'd never be able to keep up with one. Why is it that once you're old enough to retire and have time to devote to a new puppy, you don't have the energy? That's just wrong!

@AllThatJazzZ

Can you say "house cat"? Don't eat much,and once they figure out you are not going to hurt them,they can be VERY affectionate. I have a black house cat that was probably 5 years old and born in the wild. I fed her and the other cats behind the dumpsters at a shopping center every night for maybe 3 years without being able to get closer to her than 5 feet,and then one day she started doing figure 8's around my ankles and purring,so I figured she wanted inside,and just picked her up in my hands and put her in carry cage I had in my truck.

I stopped at the vets on the way home to drop her off for checkups to make sure she didn't have anything contageous that would infect my other cats,and the vet called me the next morning and told me she had been trying to give birth to 9 kittens,and they were positioned wrong to be born. He had to do an operation to remove the kittens,and only 1 survived. I bottle fed him for a few days,and then he died.

Anyhow,that is what was behind the sudden display of affection for the first time. She was in pain and in trouble,and knew she needed help,so she took a chance.

Here is is 5 or 6 years later,and she is one of the most affectional cats you you have ever seen.  Sleeps with me every night. 
And if you want to see her run and hide,all you have to do is open an entrance door and call her. She wants no part of the outside.

Still,she is death on snakes and mice that get in the house. Pretty much anything else that slips into the house,too.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 04:52:39 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1902 on: September 08, 2021, 04:55:56 pm »
Oh I dunno... you'd be surprised how much of a 125 lb Malamute/Wolf will fit in your lap when he figgers he's a lap dog....

@roamer_1

Or a full-grown doberman,AFATG. Those long legs are awkward as hell unless they are running. Suddenly,the coordinatino is there,and they make sense. If a dobie is chasing you,you had better be the fastest man within a mile,or you are in a HEEP of trouble.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1903 on: September 08, 2021, 05:03:53 pm »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1904 on: September 08, 2021, 05:09:20 pm »
@roamer_1

Or a full-grown doberman,AFATG. Those long legs are awkward as hell unless they are running. Suddenly,the coordinatino is there,and they make sense. If a dobie is chasing you,you had better be the fastest man within a mile,or you are in a HEEP of trouble.

@sneakypete
I never run from a dog. Always turn and face it. if it's a pack, find a place to guard your back, turn and face it again.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1905 on: September 08, 2021, 05:20:32 pm »
@sneakypete
I never run from a dog. Always turn and face it. if it's a pack, find a place to guard your back, turn and face it again.

@roamer_1

Running from them only encourages them. Running AT themand growling can really freak them out,though. They just don't seem to be able to deal with it.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1906 on: September 08, 2021, 05:36:27 pm »
@roamer_1

Running from them only encourages them. Running AT themand growling can really freak them out,though. They just don't seem to be able to deal with it.

@sneakypete
Well, yeah - You're talking their language. If you turn and run you're prey. If you roll over you're likely dead. The only real option, especially against multiples, is direct challenge. Cannines are opportunity predators. Risk/Reward, and they will break off the attack if the risk becomes greater than the reward.

It sounds cruel, but a feller learns a whole bunch wading into a sled dog melee, wailing on em with a club... But if you don't half your team will be dead or grievously disabled... You can't just run from it. And you can't be kind.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #1907 on: September 08, 2021, 08:33:54 pm »
The best thing about dogs is that they're not people!
Dogs are better than people and rarely lie while smiling.

Offline berdie

« Reply #1908 on: September 08, 2021, 10:35:53 pm »
@AllThatJazzZ

Can you say "house cat"? Don't eat much,and once they figure out you are not going to hurt them,they can be VERY affectionate. I have a black house cat that was probably 5 years old and born in the wild. I fed her and the other cats behind the dumpsters at a shopping center every night for maybe 3 years without being able to get closer to her than 5 feet,and then one day she started doing figure 8's around my ankles and purring,so I figured she wanted inside,and just picked her up in my hands and put her in carry cage I had in my truck.

I stopped at the vets on the way home to drop her off for checkups to make sure she didn't have anything contageous that would infect my other cats,and the vet called me the next morning and told me she had been trying to give birth to 9 kittens,and they were positioned wrong to be born. He had to do an operation to remove the kittens,and only 1 survived. I bottle fed him for a few days,and then he died.

Anyhow,that is what was behind the sudden display of affection for the first time. She was in pain and in trouble,and knew she needed help,so she took a chance.

Here is is 5 or 6 years later,and she is one of the most affectional cats you you have ever seen.  Sleeps with me every night. 
And if you want to see her run and hide,all you have to do is open an entrance door and call her. She wants no part of the outside.

Still,she is death on snakes and mice that get in the house. Pretty much anything else that slips into the house,too.

Same type situation here @sneakypete . My MaMa cat lived outside and raised her babies (I trapped her and the babies and got them fixed). I made sure they had food, water and warmth in the winter. The two boy children either wandered off or got killed. Then one day, after 10 years, she decided to come in the house. And she wouldn't go back outside. The most polite cat in the world...especially considering she lived outside for 10 years in a rural area.

Being a dog person, she made me respect cats more than I had. Pretty canny that she managed to survive outside all that time.

I miss her.  But I don't want to get started on all the stray dogs who have wormed their ways into my life....you know all the dogs I've loved and known.

Online AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #1909 on: September 09, 2021, 06:17:59 am »
@AllThatJazzZ

@sneakypete

I love that story and the fact that you were able to save that cat. Thanks for rescuing her and attempting to save her offspring. I love a story with a happy ending.

Unfortunately, cats aren't a good match for me. I'm actually afraid of them. Over the years, I have rescued and found homes for several cats, had them neutered and given inoculations if I couldn't find a home for them. There were 2 that were born on my patio, and I was able to bond with them before they were too skittish. I kept them fed and watered, and they got all kinds of affection when I took my dogs out back. One of my dogs was totally nuts for one of the kittens. But as is often the case with feral cats, they go missing. I don't know the reason. Maybe someone took them in and made them house cats. Maybe something terrible happened to them. But they eventually stopped coming around.

So the next cat I tried to rescue, I let it come in the house. Unfortunately, she became aggressive toward my dogs after a few days, so she had to stay outside. One day as one of my dogs was on her way back into the house after tending to business, I was holding the cat to give my dog a safe pathway to go inside the house. That &$%# cat jumped out of my arms and attacked my dog, and when I got in the mix to extract my dog from her claws, she shredded me something fierce. My patio looked like a crime scene, and I lost a lot of blood. My friend took me to get medical attention and a tetanus booster. The worst part for me was that I had put my dogs in danger. From that point on, I determined I'd NEVER AGAIN put my dogs -- or me -- in harm's way by rescuing a cat. They're not like dogs who have only one weapon, their mouths. Cats have 5 weapons (mouth and 4 paws with claws). That's too much for me.

I know there are cats with sweet dispositions, but I'm not willing to take a risk ever again. That was a traumatic experience and I still carry the guilt of endangering my dogs. Besides, I don't do shedding dogs, so there's no way I'd have a cat since they all shed. And even if they didn't shed, there's still those claws. {shudder}

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1910 on: September 09, 2021, 10:30:32 am »
The best thing about dogs is that they're not people!

Amen!
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1911 on: September 09, 2021, 10:36:38 am »
I tend to agree. They're surely someone I'm not interested in spending time with.

I'm sorry you got off to a rough start with dogs. Perfectly understandable to develop a fear after those experiences. But at least you got there!

I was like a magnet to dogs from day one. I've loved them all my life -- a love that has deepened as I've gotten older. I love all dogs. Big, little and all those in between. I prefer to own little dogs because I'm little (under 5'), I can get more of them on the couch/bed/my lap at one time. I can carry 2 at a time even with the limitations my doctor put on me, and they cost MUCH LESS to feed. Waaaaay less! I've talked to people in the pet store who were buying a month's supply of food for their big dogs in amounts that would have lasted both my dogs for an entire year! That's when I realized I'd never have enough money to feed a big dog. But I do love them all. The company of humans is tolerable (for the most part); the company of dogs is heavenly. 

How fun! I'd love to spend time with a puppy. They're so irresistible and energetic. At my advanced age, I'd never be able to keep up with one. Why is it that once you're old enough to retire and have time to devote to a new puppy, you don't have the energy? That's just wrong!

@AllThatJazzZ

The husband is retired but the wife still works. He was adamant about not having another dog when their dog passed earlier this year. The wife wanted another puppy, and when a co worker’s dog had a litter, they went and saw the puppies about the time they were being weaned. He fell in love with the pup they adopted, the runt.

What I don’t understand is how little dogs have a bark that’s bigger than they are. Maybe an evolutionary thing so they don’t get stepped on?

P.S. I’m five feet tall too. :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 10:38:07 am by Gefn »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1912 on: September 09, 2021, 03:37:29 pm »
@sneakypete

I love that story and the fact that you were able to save that cat. Thanks for rescuing her and attempting to save her offspring. I love a story with a happy ending.

Unfortunately, cats aren't a good match for me. I'm actually afraid of them. Over the years, I have rescued and found homes for several cats, had them neutered and given inoculations if I couldn't find a home for them. There were 2 that were born on my patio, and I was able to bond with them before they were too skittish. I kept them fed and watered, and they got all kinds of affection when I took my dogs out back. One of my dogs was totally nuts for one of the kittens. But as is often the case with feral cats, they go missing. I don't know the reason. Maybe someone took them in and made them house cats. Maybe something terrible happened to them. But they eventually stopped coming around.

So the next cat I tried to rescue, I let it come in the house. Unfortunately, she became aggressive toward my dogs after a few days, so she had to stay outside. One day as one of my dogs was on her way back into the house after tending to business, I was holding the cat to give my dog a safe pathway to go inside the house. That &$%# cat jumped out of my arms and attacked my dog, and when I got in the mix to extract my dog from her claws, she shredded me something fierce. My patio looked like a crime scene, and I lost a lot of blood. My friend took me to get medical attention and a tetanus booster. The worst part for me was that I had put my dogs in danger. From that point on, I determined I'd NEVER AGAIN put my dogs -- or me -- in harm's way by rescuing a cat. They're not like dogs who have only one weapon, their mouths. Cats have 5 weapons (mouth and 4 paws with claws). That's too much for me.

I know there are cats with sweet dispositions, but I'm not willing to take a risk ever again. That was a traumatic experience and I still carry the guilt of endangering my dogs. Besides, I don't do shedding dogs, so there's no way I'd have a cat since they all shed. And even if they didn't shed, there's still those claws. {shudder}

@AllThatJazzZ

There is a simple and easy solution to that problem. Go to the local animal shelter and tell them you want a cat (better yet,two cats so they can play together) that has lived with dogs and likes them.

Hell,you might even get lucky enough to get the companion dog to that cat at the same time. LOTS of pets at local shelters that are there because their owners died and left them  homeless.

My dobie and my mean-ass female calico were strangers,but the the family that abandoned the cat had a bunch of dogs,and she got along good with all of them. I am guessing the dobie came from a family with cats too,because she flat loved that cat,and anybody she didn't know that got to close to the cat got a warning snarl. 

BTW,try to stay away from Calico cats. They are not very friendly by nature,and it usually takes them a few years to warm up to you. Mine graciously agreed to live in my house and allow me to provide food and water,and to let  her in and out of the house when it pleased her,but it took over 2 years for her to allow me to reach out to touch her without getting snarled at.

She eventually became very affectionate. I just left her alone and let her become socialized at her own pace. One day,out of the blue,she just jumped up on the couch and started rubbing up against me and purring,so I started petting her.

BTW,she was ALWAYS willing to allow me to pick her up and put her in a carry cage when she came home beaten,battered,and bleeding,and I had to take her to the vet. The last fight she got into she took on something big enough it crushed her shoulder when it bit her and left tooth marks all the way through it,yet she managed to make it home on 3 legs after being missing for 3 days. Had to have her leg and shoulder amputated,and she became a house cat against her will after that. It was cancer that finally took her down for the count,and that was a couple of years later. STILL miss that contrary bitch.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 03:46:46 pm by sneakypete »

Online AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #1913 on: September 09, 2021, 09:20:51 pm »
@AllThatJazzZ

The husband is retired but the wife still works. He was adamant about not having another dog when their dog passed earlier this year. The wife wanted another puppy, and when a co worker’s dog had a litter, they went and saw the puppies about the time they were being weaned. He fell in love with the pup they adopted, the runt.

What I don’t understand is how little dogs have a bark that’s bigger than they are. Maybe an evolutionary thing so they don’t get stepped on?

P.S. I’m five feet tall too. :)

@Gefn

Greetings fellow dinky person! :seeya: I didn't quite make it to 5 feet, but now the shrinkage era of my life has set in and I'm considerably under that mark. I have always hated being short, and now nature has added insult to injury.  9999hair out0000

I'm happy for the people in your scenario who got the puppy. The best scenario for me is to know someone who's got one. OMG, they're so irresistible, especially when they're young enough to still have puppy breath. But I have some limitations that come with age, so I don't see another puppy in my life. It makes me sad because I love to be able to imprint my dogs from a young age. On the other hand, now I'm able to take in the older ones who truly need a loving home. Next month when we celebrate our 2nd anniversary together, my little guy will turn 14, and while he's a mover and a shaker when we go to the park, he's nice and lazy around the house. It's a great match.

I guess I'm confused by the question about small dogs/big barks. I got my first small dog in the early 70s, and it's never been my experience to deal with a barking dog, especially a loud one. I've never let my dogs bark incessantly, only allowing them to bark at appropriate times; e.g., someone's at the door, a noise outside the house. When I visit my friends who own small dogs, the barking ends once I get inside the door. I'm on my 5th small dog and have never had to deal with a loud or incessant barking problem. I didn't even get to hear my little senior guy bark until someone rang the doorbell after I'd had him for a few months. I just looked at him and said, "So that's what you sound like!"  :pondering:

Online AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #1914 on: September 09, 2021, 09:38:50 pm »
@AllThatJazzZ

There is a simple and easy solution to that problem. Go to the local animal shelter and tell them you want a cat (better yet,two cats so they can play together) that has lived with dogs and likes them.

Hell,you might even get lucky enough to get the companion dog to that cat at the same time. LOTS of pets at local shelters that are there because their owners died and left them  homeless.

My dobie and my mean-ass female calico were strangers,but the the family that abandoned the cat had a bunch of dogs,and she got along good with all of them. I am guessing the dobie came from a family with cats too,because she flat loved that cat,and anybody she didn't know that got to close to the cat got a warning snarl. 

BTW,try to stay away from Calico cats. They are not very friendly by nature,and it usually takes them a few years to warm up to you. Mine graciously agreed to live in my house and allow me to provide food and water,and to let  her in and out of the house when it pleased her,but it took over 2 years for her to allow me to reach out to touch her without getting snarled at.

She eventually became very affectionate. I just left her alone and let her become socialized at her own pace. One day,out of the blue,she just jumped up on the couch and started rubbing up against me and purring,so I started petting her.

BTW,she was ALWAYS willing to allow me to pick her up and put her in a carry cage when she came home beaten,battered,and bleeding,and I had to take her to the vet. The last fight she got into she took on something big enough it crushed her shoulder when it bit her and left tooth marks all the way through it,yet she managed to make it home on 3 legs after being missing for 3 days. Had to have her leg and shoulder amputated,and she became a house cat against her will after that. It was cancer that finally took her down for the count,and that was a couple of years later. STILL miss that contrary bitch.

@sneakypete

The truth is that I don't want a solution because I don't consider it a problem. I've never really wanted a cat, but I want every cat to have a loving home. There are people who are better suited for dogs, people who are better suited for cats, and people who are equally suited for both. I'm the dog-type person. I don't hate cats (except for the one that attacked my dog). I'm just not cut out for them. One of the things I never have to concern myself with is my dog jumping up on high shelves or my kitchen counters. Nor have my dogs ever scratched or clawed my furniture (although as puppies, they did their share of damage in their first few months). I never have to clean a litterbox. I had to do that for my friend's cat when she was in the hospital and I HATED it.

I'm very glad there are people like you to love and look after kitties. They all deserve the best life they can have.

It's interesting what you said about calico cats. It was certainly true of a friend's cat, but one thing that truly impressed me about that cat was her behavior at the vet. She was a perfect patient. I was so amazed, I sincerely wished she could teach my dogs how to be more cooperative patients!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #1915 on: September 12, 2021, 10:50:35 pm »
WATCH: Falling Cat Saved by American Flag at Miami Game

Breitbart by Dylan Gwinn 12 Sep 2021

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/09/12/watch-falling-cat-saved-by-american-flag-at-miami-game/

A falling stray cat can thank his lucky stars and stripes after his almost assuredly fatal plunge was broken by a fortunately placed American flag.

The incident went down at the Miami-Appalachian State game on Saturday after fans noticed a cat dangling from the upper deck and maneuvered “Old Glory” to make the save.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1436835559264202759

https://twitter.com/i/status/1436847069805760512

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #1916 on: September 17, 2021, 12:18:09 am »

Online corbe

« Reply #1917 on: September 19, 2021, 01:59:19 pm »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #1918 on: September 19, 2021, 07:43:29 pm »

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1919 on: September 20, 2021, 10:04:19 am »
Here’s an irresistible dod, for all who love dogs.

I don’t know what kind of dog this is, other than adorable! Look at the eyes
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 10:05:29 am by Gefn »

Online AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #1920 on: September 20, 2021, 01:37:21 pm »
Here’s an irresistible dod, for all who love dogs.

I don’t know what kind of dog this is, other than adorable! Look at the eyes

@Gefn

I know what kind of dog it is. It's a dog that has exceeded the legal limit of cuteness. So not fair, but I don't complain. I have a particular weakness for dogs with liver-colored noses. 3333hugs Thanks for posting.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #1921 on: September 21, 2021, 02:49:23 pm »
Oh I dunno... you'd be surprised how much of a 125 lb Malamute/Wolf will fit in your lap when he figgers he's a lap dog....

LIke my last two 100lb lap dogs my current 80lb lap pup......

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1922 on: September 21, 2021, 05:52:19 pm »
LIke my last two 100lb lap dogs my current 80lb lap pup......

Sadly, my current mutt is 50 pounds and too old to get up on the couch anymore. I keep thinking that once he passes I will go back to a Malamute/Wolf cross, but who am I kidding? Them dogs need a 5 mile run up a mountain every day just to shake their giggles out. Yeah... If I were a betting man, I guess I'd be betting on another Ozzie.  :shrug:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #1923 on: September 22, 2021, 08:11:45 pm »
Not quite a "pet"  but it looks like someone may have forgotten to put away the adult beverages.  ***wine     

Warning:  may not be suitable for children.- 

https://mobile.twitter.com/YouglePost/status/1440537057500155916

« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 08:14:34 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Online corbe

« Reply #1924 on: September 23, 2021, 01:37:27 am »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.