Author Topic: Pets Welcomed  (Read 502352 times)

Online Polly Ticks

Re: Pets Welcomed
« Reply #1000 on: August 16, 2016, 07:47:11 pm »
I'm loving all the pet pictures!  Very stress-relieving.

Here's my two, curled up with my husband who claims to not even like them (yeah, right).

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online ScottinVA

« Reply #1001 on: August 16, 2016, 07:49:49 pm »

Here's my two, curled up with my husband who claims to not even like them (yeah, right).

:thumbsup2:

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #1002 on: August 17, 2016, 03:50:30 am »
OK, trying to post my first pic on TBR.  Here is Buford the coon hound!

Buford has a great smile!
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline austingirl

« Reply #1003 on: August 17, 2016, 03:52:04 am »
When we rescued Wendy, our beloved Cocker Spaniel, from the SPCA in January of 2006 (believed to be 3 years old at the time), she had no energy, couldn't run, and was beset with hair loss and elephantine gray skin.  She also tremored noticeably when drifting off to sleep.  Apparently, none of the vets who'd previously examined her managed to tie all her symptoms together to diagnose the root cause.  When we adopted her on a Saturday, we set about researching those symptoms ourselves and found that everything pointed to an underactive thyroid.  That following Monday, we brought her to the local vet who warned us her symptoms were so varied and advanced, that we may be investing time, money and emotion into a dog that may not be around for long, but we had them run the blood test anyway.  Sure enough, we hit the bullseye.  The vet called me at work and told me we were dead-on with our research, and they'd get her on Soloxine to normalize the hormone output from the thyroid immediately.  Within two weeks, she was running with energy and growing hair again. 

And here she is, still going strong at age 13!

Wonderful story. Rescues are the best.

Offline austingirl

« Reply #1004 on: August 17, 2016, 03:53:16 am »

Darling dogs.

Offline CSM

« Reply #1005 on: August 17, 2016, 11:45:34 am »
A GREAT looking dog!!

Thanks ScottinVA.  He knows it and uses it to charm the ladies and get treats! 

Offline CSM

« Reply #1006 on: August 17, 2016, 11:47:22 am »
When we rescued Wendy, our beloved Cocker Spaniel, from the SPCA in January of 2006 (believed to be 3 years old at the time), she had no energy, couldn't run, and was beset with hair loss and elephantine gray skin.  She also tremored noticeably when drifting off to sleep.  Apparently, none of the vets who'd previously examined her managed to tie all her symptoms together to diagnose the root cause.  When we adopted her on a Saturday, we set about researching those symptoms ourselves and found that everything pointed to an underactive thyroid.  That following Monday, we brought her to the local vet who warned us her symptoms were so varied and advanced, that we may be investing time, money and emotion into a dog that may not be around for long, but we had them run the blood test anyway.  Sure enough, we hit the bullseye.  The vet called me at work and told me we were dead-on with our research, and they'd get her on Soloxine to normalize the hormone output from the thyroid immediately.  Within two weeks, she was running with energy and growing hair again. 

And here she is, still going strong at age 13!

What a wonderful story!  You are a truly a great family for Wendy.  I'm sure she has paid you back in spades!

Offline CSM

« Reply #1007 on: August 17, 2016, 11:48:19 am »

Awww, what a great pic!  I'm sure your DH is absolutely frustrated with all that love!

Online ScottinVA

« Reply #1008 on: August 17, 2016, 12:12:14 pm »

Wonderful story. Rescues are the best.

Thank you!  And yes, they certainly are!

Online ScottinVA

« Reply #1009 on: August 17, 2016, 12:14:38 pm »
What a wonderful story!  You are a truly a great family for Wendy.  I'm sure she has paid you back in spades!

Thanks, she most certainly has.  She's a great family member... just sweet as can be.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #1010 on: August 17, 2016, 12:37:29 pm »
I'm sure your DH is absolutely frustrated with all that love!

I know, right?? 

We very nearly lost Bunny (the white one on top of hubby) a number of years ago when she came down with immune mediated anemia.  We took her to our regular vet and he gave us a 5% chance of her making it thru the weekend -- which was apparently just a bit of optimism because when my husband asked, the vet admitted that they had never had one survive without more intensive treatment than what they could provide.

My husband still claims to this day that he only did it for me, but he didn't even stop to think about it before we took her to the Emergency Vet to start blood transfusions and such.  It was touch and go for awhile and she'll always be on medication to suppress her immune system, but 7 years later she's doing great and lives to snuggle and cuddle.  And my husband is right there, snuggling and cuddling with her like the rest of us!

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 12:37:56 pm by Polly Ticks »
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline CSM

« Reply #1011 on: August 17, 2016, 03:38:32 pm »
Wonderful story (now, not then.) Thank you for sharing.

Offline austingirl

« Reply #1012 on: August 20, 2016, 08:39:21 pm »
Rocky has kidney failure secondary to the heart failure. He is still eating and drinking but is so frail it is frightening. Bought some special foods today. I am so grateful I am working at home so I don't have to leave him. He has been a loyal friend for over fifteen years. I am praying that God is merciful to him.

Rocky left this earth today. He had trouble breathing and I could not let him suffer. The vet came to the house within 45 minutes and helped him pass. I will treasure the fifteen plus years I had with my little ambassador of love.

Offline TheMom

« Reply #1013 on: August 20, 2016, 10:16:13 pm »
Rocky left this earth today. He had trouble breathing and I could not let him suffer. The vet came to the house within 45 minutes and helped him pass. I will treasure the fifteen plus years I had with my little ambassador of love.

Really sorry for your loss.
I'm fluent in three languages: English, Sarcasm, and Profanity.

Offline austingirl

« Reply #1014 on: August 20, 2016, 10:31:39 pm »
Really sorry for your loss.

Thank you. So glad my husband and were home.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1015 on: August 20, 2016, 10:52:39 pm »
So sorry, @austingirl.   

Offline austingirl

« Reply #1016 on: August 21, 2016, 12:00:49 am »
So sorry, @austingirl.

Thank you. Bobbi and Hank seem a little confused but I took them for a walk. Many days of tears ahead....

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #1017 on: August 21, 2016, 12:34:08 am »

So sorry to hear that, @austingirl

Offline austingirl

« Reply #1018 on: August 21, 2016, 12:56:17 am »
I adopted Rocky from Wee Rescue in Austin in June of 2001. He had been on death row at the shelter when he was saved and had his picture put on Petfinders. I had lost my Westie the year before and was looking for a rescue pup.

I emailed the woman who saved him all those years ago to let her know Rocky had passed and she sent me photo she kept of him from two days after his rescue when he was cleaned up. He was so special that his rescuer kept him in her heart all these years. He was a comedian and loved to steal my shoes. I will always love him.

Thank you @Polly Ticks

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #1019 on: August 21, 2016, 01:22:50 am »
@austingirl

I've very sorry for your grief in the loss of your friend and companion.   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline austingirl

« Reply #1020 on: August 21, 2016, 01:49:31 am »
@austingirl

I've very sorry for your grief in the loss of your friend and companion.   

Thank you @DCPatriot

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #1021 on: August 21, 2016, 02:31:41 am »
@austingirl So sorry for your loss.

Offline austingirl

« Reply #1022 on: August 21, 2016, 02:16:00 pm »
@austingirl So sorry for your loss.

Thank you @RoosGirl

There is a huge emptiness in our house today. I am thankful for Bobbi and Hank- I keep a dynasty of dogs running.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #1023 on: August 21, 2016, 02:32:17 pm »
I've had an odd dog week.  I raised one litter of German Shorthaired Pointers.  The "puppies" are 7 years old now.  One owner called me to tell me that while her dog sitter was at the house (she travels to various states during the week for work, flies out Monday and back home on Thursday) and exercising the dogs the dog she got from me had what appeared to be a seizure while in the pool and almost drown.  She thankfully is okay, and I am suspecting what she had was not a seizure but a form a exercise intolerance similar to what her mother developed about the same age.  But, it is still a mystery as to what really happened and not a good feeling not to know why it happened.

Another puppy owner, who bought a bitch with the intention of showing and then eventually breeding, but around 1 1/2 years old developed some weird fear issue that could never be "fixed", asked how I would feel about her being rehomed.  So, I'm not super happy about that, but the owner is busy moving on with her breeding goals and if the bitch will get a lot of wonderful attention in a new home then that is what is best.

You expect things to come up with puppies you've bred, but two in the same week is unwelcome.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #1024 on: August 22, 2016, 01:02:08 am »
Thank you @RoosGirl

There is a huge emptiness in our house today. I am thankful for Bobbi and Hank- I keep a dynasty of dogs running.

I am sorry for your loss as well.  It's not like losing a member of the family....you actually do lose a member of the family. 

Take care...........