Author Topic: Prediction: Romney is going to lose ...  (Read 20461 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Re: Prediction: Romney is going to lose ...
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2012, 12:20:55 am »
From a borderline newbie.  I'm taken back when a mod intervenes when Rap can take the on the issue when necessary.  His comment had NOTHING to do with Rap's post.  How in the h3ll did the Commerce Clause work itself it this thread. 

BTW:  Verbosity does not equal clarity.

P.S. One slight, but rather significant correction to your post:

"I'm taken back when a mod Administrator intervenes..."

I'm guessing that in the pecking order, Admin gets the best grain.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

famousdayandyear

« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2012, 12:24:59 am »
oops.  my bad.  I forgot about the protected minority thing.   8888crybaby

Offline aligncare

« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2012, 12:40:17 am »

I don't mind folks going on tangents (like I'm doing now).  It's just bandwidth.  I use the little wheel thingy on my mouse, it's called scrolling.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2012, 12:48:14 am »
oops.  my bad.  I forgot about the protected minority thing.   8888crybaby

Yeah...I know you.

The tone of that post just set my senses a-tingling.

It will come to me...keep talking.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

famousdayandyear

« Reply #104 on: August 10, 2012, 01:10:46 am »
Yeah...I know you.

The tone of that post just set my senses a-tingling.

It will come to me...keep talking.

My original post was about Rap's legitimate statement and about what I discerned was an OT response from you.  Nothing more.  If I am wrong, I apologize to you Luis Gonzalez.  And also that I felt an intervention from a mod was unnecessary/  If I am wrong, again, I apologize to you Luis.  If you accept my apology, that's great.  If not, well I'll live with it.  Pax and Bonum

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2012, 01:25:08 am »
My original post was about Rap's legitimate statement and about what I discerned was an OT response from you.  Nothing more.  If I am wrong, I apologize to you Luis Gonzalez.  And also that I felt an intervention from a mod was unnecessary/  If I am wrong, again, I apologize to you Luis.  If you accept my apology, that's great.  If not, well I'll live with it.  Pax and Bonum

We probably met in FR. I say that because I met most anyone in FR, and I've always used my name. I've used an occasional nom de plume, but that was usually to mess with Sabertooth (I wish he was still around)...I digress.

We probably became adversaries over one issue or another, mostly based on my libertarian leanings, and my sarcastic nature; we may at one point or another, become friendly to a degree, but that probably didn't last long.

(I'm liking the narrative!)

Then here we are.

I am still using my real name, and you're not using your real fake name.

It's a matter of time, you know that...don't you?

Style and syntax never really changes.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #106 on: August 10, 2012, 01:34:07 am »
My original post was about Rap's legitimate statement and about what I discerned was an OT response from you.  Nothing more.  If I am wrong, I apologize to you Luis Gonzalez.  And also that I felt an intervention from a mod was unnecessary/ 

Agreed.  The over reaction is usually totally unnecessary, too.  :odrama:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2012, 01:49:21 am »
This maybe the time to interject a little feature we have here at TBR...not saying it is needed..just a reminder that it is available..lol

How to activate the Ignore Feature!!!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2012, 02:07:00 am »
Can't argue against that level of eloquence.

We'll agree to disagree.

I just don't see the original intent of the Commerce Clause being so broad that it allows the Justice Department to shut down a private farm because the milk it produces for self-consumption may impact interstate commerce.

That expansive view of the Commerce Clause is wrong. 

With respect to farms producing for self-consumption we quite agree.  Wickard v. Filburn - or at least the precedent that case is taken for now - was wrongly decided, and the recent Obamacare ruling from the Supreme Court impliedly backstopped that conclusion; there are now at least 3 cases that have found limits to the reach of the Commerce Clause.

However, that was not the context in which I set my statement.  A business that manufactures medical devices is most assuredly engaged in commerce and under reasonable Supreme Court jurisprudence is most likely engaged in interstate commerce.  Accordingly, Congress can regulate that business.  Even if that business makes absolutely sure that it sells nothing outside the borders of its home state it is still engaged in interstate commerce in this day and age.  If the Commerce Clause could not, in general, reach most intrastate businesses, on the conclusion that the only commerce that Congress could regulate was that which actually crossed a state line - and then only at the time of crossing the state line, you would end up with a formalism that would make a mockery of the underlying purposes of the Commerce Clause.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #109 on: August 10, 2012, 04:09:57 am »
With respect to farms producing for self-consumption we quite agree.  Wickard v. Filburn - or at least the precedent that case is taken for now - was wrongly decided, and the recent Obamacare ruling from the Supreme Court impliedly backstopped that conclusion; there are now at least 3 cases that have found limits to the reach of the Commerce Clause.

However, that was not the context in which I set my statement.  A business that manufactures medical devices is most assuredly engaged in commerce and under reasonable Supreme Court jurisprudence is most likely engaged in interstate commerce.  Accordingly, Congress can regulate that business.  Even if that business makes absolutely sure that it sells nothing outside the borders of its home state it is still engaged in interstate commerce in this day and age.  If the Commerce Clause could not, in general, reach most intrastate businesses, on the conclusion that the only commerce that Congress could regulate was that which actually crossed a state line - and then only at the time of crossing the state line, you would end up with a formalism that would make a mockery of the underlying purposes of the Commerce Clause.

OK, so we're arguing a lawyer's view of the actual expansion of the Commerce Clause vs. a Constitutional originalist's understanding of it.

In United States v. Lopez, Clarence Thomas pointed out that "the Commerce Clause does not state that Congress may “regulate matters that substantially affect commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes”, in fact the Constitution grants Congress the power to "regulate Commerce....among the several States", which is best interpreted as setting the standards of how Commerce may be discharged, but not which commerce, or which standards of commerce (at the time of the ratification of the Constitution, 'Commerce' consisted of buying, selling, bartering, and transporting for the aforementioned purposes) would be allowed to exists at the whim of Congressional actions. In fact, in The Federalist papers often uses the term "commerce" in contradistinction to productive activities such as building and manufacturing.

So, an originalist will see the Commerce Clause as simply a directive given to Congress to regulate how commerce (buying, selling, bartering, and transporting to achieve those acts) is conducted among the several States etc, and not impact production and manufacturing, which is your view.

If the original intent of the Commerce Clause was to give Congress the power that you believe it grants them, or as I said above, a Clause that regulated matters which substantially affect commerce, then, when coupled with the traditional understanding of the Necessary and Proper Clause, many of Congress' enumerated powers under Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution would be rendered superfluous.

Why take the time to grant Congress the power to coin money, to enact bankruptcy laws, to fix the standards of weights and measures, to punish counterfeiters, establish post offices, and grant patents, when obviously all these things substantially affect Commerce among the several States, and would be included in that expansive interpretation of the Commerce Clause that we have arrived at today?

In fact, there then is absolutely nothing out of the regulatory reach of Congress under this definition of the Commerce Clause, because everything that we do today involves interstate commerce.

In Federalist #42, James Madison observed that bankruptcy power (laws) “intimately connected with the regulation of commerce” which is obviously correct, but, it also points out that when the Framers intended to grant Federal power over an activity which substantially impacted interstate commerce, they enumerated a specific power over that activity.

While lawyers may be forced to dwell within the expansions arrived at by precedents and built-up interpretations which distort the original intent of the clear and precise wording of the Constitution, I am not restricted by either.

I see the Constitution as a simple, and direct set of instructions.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 04:50:27 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline pjohns

« Reply #110 on: August 10, 2012, 04:22:30 am »
Romney himself isn't that exciting, I just looked at the list of potential VP's on Drudge and think this is going to be more boring than 2008. At least Palin injected some lifeblood into the campaign.

Pawlenty? That's who it looks like it's going to be? PLEASE you gotta be kidding me, he didn't look like he could fight his way out of a wet paper bag ...

Tim Pawlenty was the Flavor of the Week, a couple of weeks ago.  But I continue to believe that either Rob Portman, Marco Rubio, or Paul Ryan is much more likely to be the evential veep pick.

Of these, the latter two are far from plain vanilla.

Still, it is often true that the vice-presidential nominee turns out to be someone who was never on the radar.  (How many people, for instance, predicted that Sarah Palin would be John McCain's choice in 2008?  In fact, how many people, outside of the state of Alaska, had even heard of her?)

Oceander

« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2012, 11:58:11 am »
OK, so we're arguing a lawyer's view of the actual expansion of the Commerce Clause vs. a Constitutional originalist's understanding of it.

In United States v. Lopez, Clarence Thomas pointed out that "the Commerce Clause does not state that Congress may “regulate matters that substantially affect commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes”, in fact the Constitution grants Congress the power to "regulate Commerce....among the several States", which is best interpreted as setting the standards of how Commerce may be discharged, but not which commerce, or which standards of commerce (at the time of the ratification of the Constitution, 'Commerce' consisted of buying, selling, bartering, and transporting for the aforementioned purposes) would be allowed to exists at the whim of Congressional actions. In fact, in The Federalist papers often uses the term "commerce" in contradistinction to productive activities such as building and manufacturing.

So, an originalist will see the Commerce Clause as simply a directive given to Congress to regulate how commerce (buying, selling, bartering, and transporting to achieve those acts) is conducted among the sevaral States etc, and not impact production and manufacturing, which is your view.

If the original intent of the Commerce Clause was to give Congress the power that you believe it grants them, or as I said above, a Clause that regulated matters which substantially affect commerce, then, when coupled with the traditional understanding of the Necessary and Proper Clause, many of Congress' enumerated powers under Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution would be rendered superfluous.

Why take the time to grant Congress the power to coin money, to enact bankruptcy laws, to fix the standards of weights and measures, to punish counterfeiters, establish post offices, and grant patents, when obviously all these things substantially affect Commerce among the several States, and would be included in that expansive interpretation of the Commerce Clause that we have arrived at today?

In fact, there then is absolutely nothing out of the regulatory reach of Congress under this definition of the Commerce Clause, because everything that we do today involves interstate commerce.

In Federalist #42, James Madison observed that bankruptcy power (laws) “intimately connected with the regulation of commerce” which is obviously correct, but, it also points out that when the Framers intended to grant Federal power over an activity which substantially impacted interstate commerce, they enumerated a specific power over that activity.

While lawyers may be forced to dwell within the expansions arrived at by precedents and built-up interpretations which distort the original intent of the clear and precise wording of the Constitution, I am not restricted by either.

I see the Constitution as a simple, and direct set of instructions.

The Constitution is neither simple, nor direct, and it certainly isn't a set of instructions in the sense that a recipe is a set of instructions.

With respect to limiting the Commerce Clause to merely regulating the mode of buying or selling, that eviscerates the Commerce Clause.  How?  Very simple:  State A, which wishes to protect its internal markets from out-of-state markets prescribes extremely high quality standards for products coming from out-of-state, and a much more relaxed set of standards for in-state products.  Basis?  Because in-state producers will be familiar with the needs and requirements of their own fellow state citizens than would out-of-state producers and any in-state producer can be readily prosecuted for failing to meet those standards than could an out-of-state producer because the state already has in personam jurisdiction over the in-state producers and the ability to quickly shut down in-state production facilities; chasing down an out-of-state producer could prove impossible since the police power of State A does not extend into the territory of any other state (by definition).

That is a rational basis for discriminating between in-state commerce and out-of-state commerce, and if left alone would effectively permit State A to embargo out-of-state goods and circumscribe the existence of a national market for goods; furthermore, if State A also provided that the producers of any other state would be subject to the lower standards if that other state were to mandate that its in-state producers comply and that they subject themselves to State A's jurisdiction, it would allow states to create little enclaves of trade.  It would also set up the possibility of trade wars, wherein various states use their general police powers to establish standards and rules that discriminate against out-of-state goods as a means of retaliating against one or more other states.

Balkanizing the national markets and engaging in trade wars by setting product standards that discriminate against the goods produced in one or more other states is the antithesis of the basis for the Commerce Clause.  However, under your reading of the Commerce Clause Congress would be powerless to prevent this because none of the rules imposed by the states directly regulates buying or selling:  provided an out-of-state producer complies with the heightened standards required by State A, that out-of-state producer is more than welcome to sell its wares in State A.

Bottom line:  in order to effectively regulate commerce between the states and to prevent the balkanization of the national market and the risks of interstate trade wars, Congress must be able to regulate rules that relate to the standards for goods that move in interstate commerce and must have the power to limit or reject standards that have the effect of discriminating between in-state and out-of-state goods.

Furthermore, interstate commerce is necessarily dependent on the roads, rail lines, and other infrastructure through which goods flow from producers to consumers; that infrastructure is part and parcel of the instrumentalities of interstate commerce.  Without the ability to impose regulations on those instrumentalities, the states could again engage in discrimination against out-of-state commerce; for example, State A could mandate a gauge for rail lines within the state that do not match the gauge used by any surrounding state.  Out-of-state producers wanting to ship goods into State A for sale in State A would then be put to the costly exercise of bringing their goods to a rail head in an adjacent state, offloading the goods and transshiping them to a rail head in State A, and then shipping them to their destination(s) in State A.  Since in-state producers would not face that burden, State A would have effectively discriminated between in-state and out-of-state commerce and under your interpretation of the Commerce Clause there would be nothing Congress could do about it because State A's actions merely concerned rail standards, not whether an out-of-state producer could sell its wares in State A.

Finally, there is the so-called "Dormant Commerce Clause" jurisprudence of the Supreme Court under which a state is prevented from engaging in activity that interferes with interstate commerce even if Congress has not imposed any regulation on the subject matter; for a state to engage in such activity, there must be some express or directly implied authorization from Congress first.

Without the ability to reach standards imposed on the quality of goods or standards imposed on in-state infrastructure used to move goods in interstate commerce, or the courts' ability to block activity that interferes with interstate commerce in areas where Congress has chosen not to impose affirmative regulations, the intent of the Commerce Clause and the policies that underly it, intent and policy expressed by the Founders themselves, the Commerce Clause is effectively eviscerated.

Once we admit the necessity of allowing Congress to reach such areas that are, technically speaking, beyond the simple and direct instruction of the Commerce Clause, then we are only discussing the extent to which Congress may reach in those areas, not whether or not Congress can act in those areas at all.  In other words, as my crim law professor used to say, "now that we've established you're a prostitute, let's rediscuss your price."

Offline aligncare

« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2012, 11:59:53 am »
Still, it is often true that the vice-presidential nominee turns out to be someone who was never on the radar.

No matter who Romney picks, the democrats and their media lap-dogs will pummel the nominee, stopping just short of accusations of mass murder and cannibalism. 

Rubio continues to intrigue me.  And as for his not being a natural born citizen, it didn't stop our Kenyan born president's messianic rise.

Oceander

« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2012, 12:02:20 pm »
No matter who Romney picks, the democrats and their media lap-dogs will pummel the nominee, stopping just short of accusations of mass murder and cannibalism. 

Rubio continues to intrigue me.  And as for his not being a natural born citizen, it didn't stop our Kenyan born president's messianic rise.

Of course, which is why Romney must be careful to pick someone who has either already been tested under fire or who has the ability to withstand that fire.  There are, I believe, some recent examples of what can go wrong if the candidate does not carefully consider these matters before making her, or his, selection of running mate.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2012, 01:16:37 pm »
I just want to add something to the thread but I can't think of anything.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #115 on: August 10, 2012, 01:36:57 pm »

:beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2012, 02:16:40 pm »
The Constitution is neither simple, nor direct, and it certainly isn't a set of instructions in the sense that a recipe is a set of instructions.

With respect to limiting the Commerce Clause to merely regulating the mode of buying or selling, that eviscerates the Commerce Clause.  How?  Very simple:  State A, which wishes to protect its internal markets from out-of-state markets prescribes extremely high quality standards for products coming from out-of-state, and a much more relaxed set of standards for in-state products.  Basis?  Because in-state producers will be familiar with the needs and requirements of their own fellow state citizens than would out-of-state producers and any in-state producer can be readily prosecuted for failing to meet those standards than could an out-of-state producer because the state already has in personam jurisdiction over the in-state producers and the ability to quickly shut down in-state production facilities; chasing down an out-of-state producer could prove impossible since the police power of State A does not extend into the territory of any other state (by definition).

That is a rational basis for discriminating between in-state commerce and out-of-state commerce, and if left alone would effectively permit State A to embargo out-of-state goods and circumscribe the existence of a national market for goods; furthermore, if State A also provided that the producers of any other state would be subject to the lower standards if that other state were to mandate that its in-state producers comply and that they subject themselves to State A's jurisdiction, it would allow states to create little enclaves of trade.  It would also set up the possibility of trade wars, wherein various states use their general police powers to establish standards and rules that discriminate against out-of-state goods as a means of retaliating against one or more other states.

Balkanizing the national markets and engaging in trade wars by setting product standards that discriminate against the goods produced in one or more other states is the antithesis of the basis for the Commerce Clause.  However, under your reading of the Commerce Clause Congress would be powerless to prevent this because none of the rules imposed by the states directly regulates buying or selling:  provided an out-of-state producer complies with the heightened standards required by State A, that out-of-state producer is more than welcome to sell its wares in State A.

Bottom line:  in order to effectively regulate commerce between the states and to prevent the balkanization of the national market and the risks of interstate trade wars, Congress must be able to regulate rules that relate to the standards for goods that move in interstate commerce and must have the power to limit or reject standards that have the effect of discriminating between in-state and out-of-state goods.

Furthermore, interstate commerce is necessarily dependent on the roads, rail lines, and other infrastructure through which goods flow from producers to consumers; that infrastructure is part and parcel of the instrumentalities of interstate commerce.  Without the ability to impose regulations on those instrumentalities, the states could again engage in discrimination against out-of-state commerce; for example, State A could mandate a gauge for rail lines within the state that do not match the gauge used by any surrounding state.  Out-of-state producers wanting to ship goods into State A for sale in State A would then be put to the costly exercise of bringing their goods to a rail head in an adjacent state, offloading the goods and transshiping them to a rail head in State A, and then shipping them to their destination(s) in State A.  Since in-state producers would not face that burden, State A would have effectively discriminated between in-state and out-of-state commerce and under your interpretation of the Commerce Clause there would be nothing Congress could do about it because State A's actions merely concerned rail standards, not whether an out-of-state producer could sell its wares in State A.

Finally, there is the so-called "Dormant Commerce Clause" jurisprudence of the Supreme Court under which a state is prevented from engaging in activity that interferes with interstate commerce even if Congress has not imposed any regulation on the subject matter; for a state to engage in such activity, there must be some express or directly implied authorization from Congress first.

Without the ability to reach standards imposed on the quality of goods or standards imposed on in-state infrastructure used to move goods in interstate commerce, or the courts' ability to block activity that interferes with interstate commerce in areas where Congress has chosen not to impose affirmative regulations, the intent of the Commerce Clause and the policies that underly it, intent and policy expressed by the Founders themselves, the Commerce Clause is effectively eviscerated.

Once we admit the necessity of allowing Congress to reach such areas that are, technically speaking, beyond the simple and direct instruction of the Commerce Clause, then we are only discussing the extent to which Congress may reach in those areas, not whether or not Congress can act in those areas at all.  In other words, as my crim law professor used to say, "now that we've established you're a prostitute, let's rediscuss your price."

Your disagreement with Clarence Thomas is noted, as is your reasoning why the Commerce Clause has been expanded beyond its original boundaries.

Creating a higher standard of manufacturing for out-of-state products than for in-state produced products is a negative thing?

Only if you fail to take into consideration the fact that the disproportionate tariffs assigned to automobiles manufactured outside the US has not deterred the ability of BMW, Audi, Mercedes Benz, Volvo and others to nearly dominate the luxury car segment in the US. The same would be the case with the inequity in manufacturing standards that you made the central point of your post, since it would create a de facto luxury/high performance market dominated by external products, making the locally manufactured product either give up that segment of the market, or be forced to manufacture their goods to the higher standard set in place for the out-of-state manufacturers in order to compete for it.

You seem to believe that government can manage the market, where I believe that a market less impacted by negative externalities created by government intervention is a more efficient, better market, with those benefits flowing down to the end users.

Under an originalist view of the Commerce Clause one State cannot embargo product from other States, but if it attempted to, that embargo would entail prohibiting the transportation of goods into its markets for the purposes of conducting commerce, and run afoul of the very purpose of the Clause: having the power to regulate such actions by States. In addition, that State action would create a situation that the verbiage of Article III, Section 2 of the Constitution calls a controversy "between two or more states;--between a state and citizens of another state", since individual wishing to engage in trade with a neighboring State would be disallowed to do so.

The idea that lacking your expansive interpretation of the Commerce Clause, the national market would be balkanized is ironic, the segmented market has always existed, divided by the spending ability of the consumer. I can buy my children $20 sneakers, or I can buy them $180 sneakers, depending on my ability (and willingness) to pay either sum, but the fact that the $20 sneaker exists, has not impacted the $180 sneaker market in the least bit; both markets thrive.

Yes, I understand the concept of the "Dormant Commerce Claus", yet another way for the Federal government to overstep its Constitutional limits, and expand its powers without the burden of amending the Constitution. I don't like the idea that there exists a practice in the Federal system which allows the government to act at will, without constraints, as it sees fit.

I don't look at government the same way that you do. You seem to believe in a government that sees its citizenry as possible hapless victims of an unregulated market, and goes about the business of protecting us from unscrupulous merchants. But the flaw in your logic is that any set of manufacturing standards set in place by a State government, must necessarily be set at the lowest common manufacturing standard, otherwise it would make it impossible for manufacturing in the State to thrive. That, coupled with your imaginary higher standard of manufacturing set in place for out-of-State products would in fact create that $20 and $180 sneaker market, with out of State manufacturers controlling the luxury sneaker market.

"Commerce" is commerce, and manufacturing is manufacturing, and Congress and the Courts have expanded the meaning of the word "commerce" way beyond its original meaning, and the Commerce Clause far beyond its original intent.   
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 04:57:44 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2012, 02:17:44 pm »

I'm nominating your post for Best In Thread.

:beer:

Offline 69FenderStrat

• my band
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #118 on: August 11, 2012, 12:08:14 am »
: The solution for a Romney win, we put a picture of Newt on Barrys face, Romney will beat the crap outa Barr-Barr
Faith is not believing God can
Faith is Knowing God Will

"Senators more than House members & both more than ordinary people, lie."

Offline Queen

« Reply #119 on: August 11, 2012, 12:59:35 am »

By the time I thought of something to say, the topic had changed again. I'm always late to the party.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #120 on: August 11, 2012, 01:00:14 am »
By the time I thought of something to say, the topic had changed again. I'm always late to the party.

But you look marvelous!

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #121 on: August 11, 2012, 01:03:29 am »
But you look marvelous!

Hmmh.....not so sure.  She's walking like she's about to whoop your a$$!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #122 on: August 11, 2012, 01:08:45 am »

Hmmh.....not so sure.  She's walking like she's about to whoop your a$$!

She's ALWAYS walking like she's about to whoop my ass.

Oceander

« Reply #123 on: August 11, 2012, 01:16:29 am »
Your disagreement with Clarence Thomas is noted, as is your reasoning why the Commerce Clause has been expanded beyond its original boundaries.

And disagreeing with J. Thomas makes me, what, an idiot?  As for expansions, tell me:  did the Founders have cellphones?  No?  Well then, under a strictly originalist interpretation cellphones cannot have been included in the 4th Amendment, therefore they aren't subject to the prohibition on unreasonable searches and seizures.  What about computers?  Since the Founders didn't have them, they aren't subject to the prohibition on unreasonable searches and seizures.

Even J. Thomas isn't a naive originalist.

Try again.

Creating a higher standard of manufacturing for out-of-state products than for in-state produced products is a negative thing?

If your object is to promote interstate commerce, the answer is yes.  Do you want a concrete example of what happens when states are permitted to impose restrictions that have the effect of preventing interstate commerce?  Health insurance.  The McCarran Ferguson Act permits states to impose anti-competitive restrictions on health insurance, restrictions that impede interstate commerce.  One huge effect of that:  higher premiums and an inability to obtain the insurance you want simply because the idiots in state government think you should have more coverage than you either want or need.

If you think this is a good thing, then your opposition to most health care reform rings rather hollow.

Only if you fail to take into consideration the fact that the disproportionate tariffs assigned to automobiles manufactured outside the US has not deterred the ability of BMW, Audi, Mercedes Benz, Volvo and others to nearly dominate the luxury car segment in the US. The same would be the case with the inequity in manufacturing standards that you made the central point of your post, since it would create a de facto luxury/high performance market dominated by external products, making the locally manufactured product either give up that segment of the market, or be forced to manufacture their goods to the higher standard set in place for the out-of-state manufacturers in order to compete for it.

What?  That makes little sense, but I'll give it the old college try anyways.  Your first sentence is baloney.  The disproportionate tariffs imposed on foreign autos has distorted the market - it's made those cars more expensive than they would otherwise be - that is a stupid thing to do.  However, the mere existence of a distortionary effect doesn't mean that the market will simply cease to exist, it means that it won't operate as efficiently as it should, that capital will be misallocated, and that we will all end up paying a higher price for goods than we ought to.

In point of fact, not only does it raise the prices on foreign cars, it raises the prices on domestic cars because the domestic makers arbitrage that tariff wedge to sell their cars at higher prices than they would otherwise command in a non-distorted market.

That is a bad thing.  Nothing I have said argues otherwise and, in fact, that is precisely what the Commerce Clause was intended to prevent - the individual states imposing internal tariffs that resulted in inefficient markets and higher prices than would hold without those tariffs.  The same goes for all other forms of market-distorting actions by state governments.

You seem to believe that government can manage the market, where I believe that a market less impacted by negative externalities created by government intervention is a more efficient, better market, with those benefits flowing down to the end users.

Bullshit.  I apologize to the rest of the audience for the profanity, but if that's what you think I'm saying then you really should be studying remedial English.  I never said the government can manage the market and you cannot draw that inference from what I said.  In fact, the point of the Commerce Clause - under my take on it - is that government cannot manage the market and makes a hash of things when it tries to, and that things would be 50 times worse if each state were allowed to interfere with interstate commerce willy-nilly.  That is what the Commerce Clause was intended to do:  mitigate the risks of government distortion of the national markets by ensuring that at least there wouldn't be 50 (originally 13) cooks with their fingers in the stewpot trying to make 50 different meals out of it.

The fact that the Commerce Clause does not, and cannot, do away with all forms of government distortion of the national market does not gainsay the huge benefit it provides in ensuring that Congress can prevent the individual states from each imposing a variety of distortions on the national market.  That is what the Founders were aiming at:  preventing nasty trade wars between the states; at the time the Constitution was written that was a very serious problem - had you read a little more history you'd know that.

Under an originalist view of the Commerce Clause one State cannot embargo product from other States, but if it attempted to, that embargo would entail prohibiting the transportation of goods into its markets for the purposes of conducting commerce, and run afoul of the very purpose of the Clause: having the power to regulate such actions by States. In addition, that State action would create a situation that the verbiage of Article III, Section 2 of the Constitution calls a controversy "between two or more states;--between a state and citizens of another state", since individual wishing to engage in trade with a neighboring State would be disallowed to do so.

Then your originalist has a very, very weak imagination and an utterly unworldly view of how reality works.  A state does not have to embargo goods from other states to interfere with interstate commerce, it can impose all manner of other "requirements" that have the same practical effect.  For example, a state could enact a law stating that out-of-state wineries cannot ship directly to customers but must instead transship their wines through wholesalers while, on the other hand, in-state wineries can ship directly to their in-state customers.

Is that an embargo on out-of-state wines?  No, out-of-state wines can clearly still be sold to in-state customers, they just have to be sold by in-state wholesalers and cannot be shipped directly to the customer.  Does that have a negative impact on interstate commerce?  You betcha.  Would your originalist view of the Constitution prevent that sort of interference with interstate commerce?  No.

The fact that your originalist view of the Commerce Clause cannot catch that sort of relatively ham-handed interference with interstate commerce, simply because it doesn't represent an embargo, means that your view of the Commerce Clause is a failure.

The idea that lacking your expansive interpretation of the Commerce Clause, the national market would be balkanized is ironic, the segmented market has always existed, divided by the spending ability of the consumer. I can buy my children $20 sneakers, or I can buy them $180 sneakers, depending on my ability (and willingness) to pay either sum, but the fact that the $20 sneaker exists, has not impacted the $180 sneaker market in the least bit; both markets thrive.

Now you're setting up a strawman, and I am, to say the least, rather disappointed that you would stoop to such a childish tactic.  I have never said that the goal of the Commerce Clause was to remove all differences in the market or disparities between various sellers and buyers.  It is precisely the nature of markets free of government-caused distortions that they will have buyers who can, and desire to, purchase expensive goods as well as buyers who cannot, or who do not want to.  That is not balkanization, that is the inherent nature of a free market.

What I did say - and said quite clearly - is that the Commerce Clause was intended to prevent the states from artificially carving the national market up into little fiefdoms.

Try again, and next time, address the point I made, not the strawman you set up.

Yes, I understand the concept of the "Dormant Commerce Claus", yet another way for the Federal government to overstep its Constitutional limits, and expand its powers without the burden of amending the Constitution. I don't like the idea that there exists a practice in the Federal system which allows the government to act at will, without constraints, as it sees fit.

Huh?  The Dormant Commerce Clause jurisprudence is not some sort of evil subterfuge to amend the Constitution, it is a forthright doctrine aimed precisely at implementing the Founders' entire purpose in putting the Commerce Clause in the Constitution in the first place:  to prevent the states from carving up the national market into little fiefdoms.

If putting the whole point of a constitutional provision into effect is somehow an unconstitutional amendment of the Constitution, then you have serious issues with basic logic in addition to basic English.

I don't look at government the same way that you do. You seem to believe in a government that sees its citizenry as possible hapless victims of an unregulated market, and goes about the business of protecting us from unscrupulous merchants. But the flaw in your logic is that any set of manufacturing standards set in place by a State government, must necessarily be set at the lowest common manufacturing standard, otherwise it would make it impossible for manufacturing in the State to thrive. That, coupled with your imaginary higher standard of manufacturing set in place for out-of-State products would in fact create that $20 and $180 sneaker market, with out of State manufacturers controlling the luxury sneaker market.

Again, another strawman.  No, I do not feel that way in the least and nothing I've said supports your contention.  What I am aiming at is precisely what the Founders were aiming at with the Commerce Clause:  preventing all of the little state governments from making precisely those sorts of decisions for their citizens and, furthermore, cutting their citizens off from the citizens of other states by making commerce between the states difficult.  That is the sort of nanny-statism the Founders intended to prevent and that is the only version of the Commerce Clause I am proposing.

"Commerce" is commerce, and manufacturing is manufacturing, and Congress and the Courts have expanded the meaning of the word "commerce" way beyond its original meaning, and the Commerce Clause far beyond its original intent.   

Really?  So, when a manufacturer purchases raw materials, is that "commerce" or is that "manufacturing"?  When a business that produces shoe soles sells its completed soles to another business that attaches the uppers to shoe soles, is that "commerce" or "manufacturing"?  When Sears, back in the day, sold a kit that contained blueprints for a house, along with cartons containing all of the various pieces of wood and etc. needed for that house, was that "commerce" or "manufacturing"?  The buyer clearly wasn't interested in having a set of drawings and a bunch of bits of wood and etc, the buyer wanted to have a house, but the house wasn't built; did the process of manufacturing that house continue across the transaction in which the buyer purchased the kit from Sears, in which case the transaction would not have been "commerce" under your limited definitions, or not?

With all due respect, your view of the Commerce Clause is narrow, crabbed, suffers from poor definitional issues, and utterly fails to capture the Founders' purpose in putting it into the Constitution.  The mere fact that Congress can constitutionally legislate far more than simply prohibiting inter-state embargoes under the Commerce Clause as it was written by the Founders does not gainsay that conclusion.  If that was all that the Founders intended to accomplish - to prevent the states from embargoing each others' goods - then they could have done so quite simply, by stating that no state could embargo the goods of any other state.  Furthermore, if the only thing the Founders were aiming at was preventing the states from embargoing each other, they would have put the provision into Article IV, as a limitation on the States, rather than putting it into Article I as a power granted to the Congress.

I'm sorry that your belief that your views are originalist is so easily bent out of shape, but that is a failing of your views, not of the Constitution or of the courts' general approach to interpreting and applying the Constitution.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #124 on: August 11, 2012, 01:39:40 am »
Ocean, can I buy you a beer sometime?