Author Topic: NOAA issues highest-ever early forecast for the coming hurricane season  (Read 866 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Yeee....haw......here we go!!! I hear hurricanes a-blowin, I know the end is comin' soon, I fear rivers over flowin', I hear the voice of rage and ruin....Looks like we're in for nasty weather....

NOAA issues highest-ever early forecast for the coming hurricane season

In the highest hurricane season forecast they have ever released in May, National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration forecasters said Thursday that the coming months may be exceptionally busy.

“The forecast for named storms, hurricanes and major hurricanes is the highest NOAA has ever issued for the May outlook,” Rick Spinrad, the agency's administrator, said in a news conference. “This season is looking to be an extraordinary one in a number of ways.”

NOAA predicts eight to 13 hurricanes and 17 to 25 named storms. Storms get names when their wind speeds reach 39 mph or higher.

Given the near-record warmth in much of the Atlantic Ocean and a strong chance of La Niña conditions, forecasters said there is an 85% chance of an above-normal season along the Atlantic seaboard.

"All the ingredients are definitely in place to have an active season," said Ken Graham, the director of the National Weather Service.

Hurricane season begins June 1 and ends November 30. It typically starts to peak in late summer and early fall.

Global warming increases hurricanes' propensity for damaging effects. A warmer atmosphere makes the storms more likely to rapidly pick up wind speed as they near the shore. And when storms make landfall, climate change is increasing the probability they will stall and drop rainfall at extreme rates................

https://www.yahoo.com/news/noaa-issues-highest-ever-may-145553366.html

NOAA is far from alone in making such a prediction for this hurricane season.

Nearly every public, private and government hurricane forecast service is expecting a high season for hurricanes and named storms, according to a website operated by Colorado State University and the Barcelona Supercomputing Center, which tracks predictions each year. The site has aggregated early hurricane forecasts from 23 centers.

The NOAA forecast is in line with the aggregate. On average, the services have predicted 23 named storms, 11 hurricanes and five major hurricanes (the designation given to storms that reach Category 3 or higher, based on their wind speeds).

I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Oh geeez...not again.. *****rollingeyes*****
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline rustynail

Sounds like this needs a declaration of 'Climate Emergency'.

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Looked at the data. Climate models do indicate quite a season.  Of course, I 've seen the El-Nino/Nina patterns suddenly change mid season too
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mountaineer

Sounds like this needs a declaration of 'Climate Emergency'.
They'll try to call it that (caused by SUVs and cow farts, of course), but the truth is that it has been a while since we had a bad hurricane season. As we all know, weather is cyclical.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Thankfully we have DeSantis as Gov.  If parts of FL get hit he acts fast to get assets to the area fast.  Plus there are plans in place to get aid to those affected.  His record on those are 1st rate. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline mountaineer

Florida's governor is preparing for it:

https://twitter.com/FrogNews/status/1797941406524461098

Offline rustynail

We are well into June, where are the storms?

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
How appropriate!!  "Yahoo".com   *****rollingeyes*****
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mountaineer

How appropriate!!  "Yahoo".com   *****rollingeyes*****
NOAA predicts above-normal 2024 Atlantic hurricane season
La Nina and warmer-than-average ocean temperatures are major drivers of tropical activity
May 23, 2024

Source: https://www.noaa.gov/news-release/noaa-predicts-above-normal-2024-atlantic-hurricane-season

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
NOAA predicts above-normal 2024 Atlantic hurricane season
La Nina and warmer-than-average ocean temperatures are major drivers of tropical activity
May 23, 2024

Source: https://www.noaa.gov/news-release/noaa-predicts-above-normal-2024-atlantic-hurricane-season

I understand.  It's just that they have been wrong in their previous predictions as much as correct.  :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Global warming increases hurricanes' propensity for damaging effects. A warmer atmosphere makes the storms more likely to rapidly pick up wind speed as they near the shore. And when storms make landfall, climate change is increasing the probability they will stall and drop rainfall at extreme rates.

They've been trying to float this for years. Except it makes no sense.
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Looked at the data. Climate models do indicate quite a season.  Of course, I 've seen the El-Nino/Nina patterns suddenly change mid season too

I don't doubt that FL is in for a tough hurricane season as our temps here have reached the mid 90's already.  That is very unusual for this time of year.  Usually it's August or September that we make it into the 90's. Weather is cyclical, we've had quite a few years that have been relatively quiet. We managed through Ian, we've prepared and just hope for the best. I looked at the stats and the chances of a major hurricane hitting us is 29%.  :shrug:

I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Thankfully we have DeSantis as Gov.  If parts of FL get hit he acts fast to get assets to the area fast.  Plus there are plans in place to get aid to those affected.  His record on those are 1st rate.

:yowsa: 888high58888

Offline mountaineer

I understand.  It's just that they have been wrong in their previous predictions as much as correct.  :beer:
Agreed. I take all these long-range forecasts with at least a little skepticism. We're probably due for a bad hurricane season, though (I hope not - so many friends in Florida and the Carolinas).

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Is Las Vegas taking odds for the over-under's?
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Oh geeez...not again.. *****rollingeyes*****

Yes, that time again!  FL has been hit very hard these past couple of years.  Hopefully will soon be due for a quite season (as between Charley and Irma) for a few years.

2023 - Hurricane Idalia Cat 4
2022 - Hurricane Ian Cat 5
2018 - Hurricane Michael Cat 5
2017 - Hurricane Irma Cat 4
2004 - Hurricane Charley Cat 4
« Last Edit: June 04, 2024, 04:50:23 pm by libertybele »

Offline mountaineer

I thought this was interesting: urban expansion and infrastructure shortcomings, not climate change, put Florida at risk from weather events. This tweet was in response to another meteorologist's bemoaning "the slow-motion symptoms of the changing climate."

https://twitter.com/ChrisMartzWX/status/1801447825223430567