Author Topic: Drone corps proposal would disrupt US Army plans, says undersecretary  (Read 172 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Drone corps proposal would disrupt US Army plans, says undersecretary
By Courtney Albon
 May 17, 2024, 03:58 PM

Drones prepare to take flight as part of a human-machine integration experiment during the exercise Project Convergence at Fort Irwin, Calif., on March 11, 2024. (Sgt. Gianna Chiavarone/U.S. Army)
A House committee’s proposal to create a drone corps within the Army may run counter to the service’s push to expand tactics, training and spending for unmanned aerial systems across some operational units, according to an Army official.

The House Armed Services Committee’s draft fiscal 2025 defense policy bill includes a provision directing the Army to establish a drone corps — essentially a branch to oversee all UAS and counter-drone programs. The branch would be responsible for integrating these systems across the Army; providing specialized training for units; and leading research, development test and evaluation efforts.

Under the provision, the drone corps would join the Army’s 17 specialty branches, which focus on areas like aviation, cyberspace, infantry and ordnance.

Gabe Camarillo, the undersecretary of the Army, said May 17 he understands lawmakers’ interest in honing the services’ focus on uncrewed systems due to their proliferation in conflicts in Ukraine and the Middle East. However, he added, creating a dedicated branch for this work is not the right approach — at least for now.

https://www.defensenews.com/unmanned/uas/2024/05/17/drone-corps-proposal-would-disrupt-us-army-plans-says-undersecretary/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline The_Reader_David

The Undersecretary is right.  A "Drone Corps" sounds like terrible idea: Given what we've learned from the war in Ukraine, drone use and anti-drone countermeasures should be integrated into all units down to the platoon level, not separated out into another bureaucratic arm of the Army.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.