Author Topic: More than 1 million trees cut down for wind turbines last year, 17 million over 24 years  (Read 2025 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
filed:  May 10, 2024 • Scotland
More than 1 million trees cut down for wind turbines last year, 17 million over 24 years
Credit:  "Anger as 17 million trees chopped down in SNP's Scotland to clear way for wind farms" | By David Walker, Politics reporter | 9 MAY 2024 | scottishdailyexpress.co.uk ~~

A Scottish Government quango has commissioned the destruction of more than 17 million trees in the last 24 years in order to build wind farms on public land.

The Scottish Government has been blasted after it was revealed that more than one million trees have been chopped down on publicly owned land in just a year to make way for wind farms. This mass cutting down of trees came despite the SNP and Scottish Greens claiming environmental credentials.

Communities in rural Scotland have complained about massive turbines blighting their landscapes, with even more planned in areas such as Aberdeenshire and Moray. And now it has been revealed that a SNP quango is getting rid of healthy trees in order to make space for them.

According to new statistics, more than one million trees were chopped down on public land, which is the equivalent to 2,700 per day. Critics described this as “appalling” and warned that the rising number of wind farm developments are causing “irreparable damage” to the countryside.

https://www.wind-watch.org/news/2024/05/10/more-than-1-million-trees-cut-down-for-wind-turbines-last-year-17-million-over-24-years/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline banddag

What this pro fossil fuel group does not tell you is Scotland planted 500 million trees since 2000.

Responding to press criticism, FLS said it had planted more than 500 million trees since 2000, adding: “Renewable energy generated from wind farms is a key element in Scotland's response to the climate emergency and the shift towards net zero and the infrastructure on land that we manage generates enough power for ...Aug 7, 2023

Scottish Government Felling Almost 2,000 Trees per Day To ...

Online catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
What this pro fossil fuel group does not tell you is Scotland planted 500 million trees since 2000.

Responding to press criticism, FLS said it had planted more than 500 million trees since 2000, adding: “Renewable energy generated from wind farms is a key element in Scotland's response to the climate emergency and the shift towards net zero and the infrastructure on land that we manage generates enough power for ...Aug 7, 2023

Do you know anything about the science of tree farming, or survivability of saplings? Lot's of acreage around pine farms here, and at best 3 in 10 reach maturity for board quality timber.

And now to your support wind turbines.....   You are supporting a technology that creates the slaughter of massive quantites of birds.  Plus, destruction or increased difficulty for future use for effective farming or other land use.  Oh, and should we talk about disposal issues of the stantions and blades?    Think I am wrong.  One of my son's old girlfriend got a Biology job at at a Electric Turbine Company, that JUST singularly was there to enumerate dead birds. 

Are you right on any issue?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline banddag

1.Do you know anything about the science of tree farming, or survivability of saplings? Lot's of acreage around pine farms here, and at best 3 in 10 reach maturity for board quality timber.

2.And now to your support wind turbines.....   You are supporting a technology that creates the slaughter of massive quantites of birds.  Plus, destruction or increased difficulty for future use for effective farming or other land use.  Oh, and should we talk about disposal issues of the stantions and blades?    Think I am wrong.  One of my son's old girlfriend got a Biology job at at a Electric Turbine Company, that JUST singularly was there to enumerate dead birds. 

Are you right on any issue?

1. Yes, I do know. I planted trees for Scouts for 3-4 years. We were told only one out of every 5 we planted would survive. 30% of 500 Million trees planted  is 150 million trees surviving. My math shows 150 million is greater than 17 million lost to wind turbines. My neighbor has one of the largest Christmas tree farms in the state. He has a 95% survivability of course this is different than a tree grown in nature with no human care.

2. It is estimated 250-300 thousand birds are killed each year by wind turbines. Cats kill 2.4 billion each year. Another 2.5-3 billion die to cars, buildings, high tension lines etc. 300k is a far cry from 6 billion.

2.4 billion birds are killed by cats each year. 
Cats #1 Threat to Birds
In the United States alone, outdoor cats kill approximately 2.4 billion birds every year. Although this number may seem unbelievable, it represents the combined impact of tens of millions of outdoor cats. Each outdoor cat plays a part.

3. Turbine companies are working diligently to solve the bird issue with wind turbines.
4. Wind Turbines on Rt 23 in LOhio are right kin the middle of corn fields. Minimal land used. Harvestors go right around them.
5. Turbines companies are coming out with recyclable blades and other co's are finding ways to recycle the old carbon fiber blades.

This US company recycles old wind turbine blades.

https://www.energy.gov/eere/wind/articles/carbon-rivers-makes-wind-turbine-blade-recycling-and-upcycling-reality-support

Another

Wind turbine maker Vestas announced that it has figured out how to recycle all wind turbine blades – even those already in landfills.
CNN · May 29, 2023

You do nothing but trash new technology because your wealth and pension plan was made from the fossil fuel industry.  You are the worse kind of person. You know the crap you are spewing is a flat out lie. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 02:57:23 pm by banddag »

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
It seems to me that whenever there is some change that has political ramifications, the group that is most likely to benefit from the change overestimates the damage that will be caused if we do not act; overestimates the advantages that will accrue from acting; and underestimates the damages that will come from acting. And we keep falling for it.

There is a good reason why our founding fathers generally distrusted mob rule, and we are seeing it manifested in virtually every aspect of our lives today. 

Online catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher

2. It is estimated 250-300 thousand birds are killed each year by wind turbines. Cats kill 2.4 billion each year. Another 2.5-3 billion die to cars, buildings, high tension lines etc. 300k is a far cry from 6 billion.

That number is debatable.  I have seen numbers as high as 1-3M annually.  I understand your level of enumeration includes those carcasses that at are at the location of the turbines.  How many of these get injured, fly off a short distance,  and die? I am guessing double to triple the count

2.4 billion birds are killed by cats each year. 
Cats #1 Threat to Birds
In the United States alone, outdoor cats kill approximately 2.4 billion birds every year. Although this number may seem unbelievable, it represents the combined impact of tens of millions of outdoor cats. Each outdoor cat plays a part.

From an ecological ornithological perspective, there is a multitude of difference between a Sparrow or a Robin and Raptors like Eagles, Hawks, Owls, Osprey etc.  BTW...  How many kitty cats kill Eagles?   :silly:   At, BTW, how long have cats been ubiquitous in our society?  10,000 years?  Birds low on the food chain also are as much as 3-10X more prolific with nest clutches  than Raptors   Sorry, false premise.  And don't get me started on those monstrosities that are getting ready to litter our coast lines.  Sea birds are even more vulnerable. And impacts on other sea creatures, like whales, dolphins, etc.  Do you really support this level of insanity?

3. Turbine companies are working diligently to solve the bird issue with wind turbines.

The solution is not build them in the first place.  I took my first road trip out west last year, in decades, and was horrified of how our beautiful western landscapes and vistas  are getting littered and ruined by this shit. Totally unnecessary.

4. Turbines companies are coming out with recyclable blades and other co's are finding ways to recycle the old carbon fiber blades.

lol...  Do you realize the amount of manpower, cost, and logistics issues it will take to cut even a recyclable  blade? Not to mention the reenforced towers, foundations, and mechanical parts?    Isn't going to happen.  30 years from now these 3 fingered monstrosites are going to be rusting monuments as a frozen momento to man's stupidity.

You do nothing but trash new technology.

I was using computers in the mid 70's, and owned one (PC) in 1982. Cell phone in 1993,   Stick your Luddite accusations where it doesn't shine.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline banddag

lol...  Do you realize the amount of manpower, cost, and logistics issues it will take to cut even a recyclable  blade? Not to mention the reenforced towers, foundations, and mechanical parts?    Isn't going to happen.  30 years from now these 3 fingered monstrosites are going to be rusting monuments as a frozen momento to man's stupidity.

Carbon River Company  out of TN has been recycling wind turbine blades for quite some time now. There are other co's in the US recycling them and others all around the world, I presume it is profitable or else they would not be doing it.

Here is how carbon River recyclers them-go to their web page

Glass to Glass Reclamation Technology
Glass Fiber Reclamation

Wind turbine blades are made from non-recyclable polymers strengthened by glass fibers. As a result, these structures are unfortunately relegated to landfills following retirement. This presents a major obstacle for wind energy to be truly sustainable. Our technology offers an attractive, facile method for responsibly re-using these materials at what normally would be their end of life. Glass to Glass can give these materials a chance to be reborn into sustainable, recyclable composites.

Receive Blade Waste (Tipping
)

Receive bulk waste fiberglass composite (e.g. retired wind turbine blades, boat hulls, automotive panels)

Pre-Sort and Shred Material

Cutting and shredding for further reduction of blades to produce optimal pyrolysis feedstock.

Multi-Stage Pyrolysis

Multi-stage pyrolysis process to fully remove polymer, char, and other fillers from the glass fibers to restore fiber properties to virgin-like values.

Production of Composite Intermediates

Convert reclaimed glass fiber into desired polymer composites intermediates. Then the rGF pellets or intermediates are used to produce next-generation products again.

ESG Pyrolysis Crude Oil

Our pyrolysis oil can be utilized as an alternative fuel source or precursor for next generation polymers, providing the oil and chemical industry a more sustainable and circular option

As for bird deaths: They are also using acoustics, radar etc

Scientists have found that painting one blade of a turbine black, which can increase visibility, can reduce bird fatalities by more than 70 percent
. And some wind companies are experimenting with using artificial intelligence to sense a bird's approach, powering turbines down to avoid collisions.

Do wind turbines kill birds? - MIT Climate Portal

As for renewable land use. 

2000 acres are lost every day mostly to housing developments and industry and roads. The amount going to renewable industry is a very small amount.

At first I thought you were ignorant  but have come to the realization you are paid troll for the fossil fuel industry. How many other boards are you spewing with you misinformation crap?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 04:30:06 pm by banddag »

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
For the love of God, would all the luddites just wake up and accept that the only way to save the Earth is to destroy it? Who cares how many Raptors and other birds are slaughtered by wind turbines...(non sequitur) cats kill millions too(so who gives a crap if a few million more die) painting one blade black increases visibility...tell that to the thousands upon thousands of pollinators called bats slaughtered that fly at night and don't see the blades.

All this 'technology'/ Green energy we don't need because we have such an abundance of oil and natural gas available that has become cleaner every decade to produce electricity and power our transportation is just wet dreams of Gaia worshipers. Call me a luddite but there is some technology we just don't need, like wind turbines that are shut down because the wind is to high or there is no capacity in the grid for their generation, but while they do run they kill raptors, other birds, pollinators and oh yeah whales. Then we have solar, which is covering and eliminating from other use thousands of acres of desert(that recreational use was forbidden because nature) and an added benefit of these green solar farms is that some of them make wonderful incinerators for birds too! Why is it that when someone wants to develop areas in the California desert the Gaia worshiping greens always bitch and moan and find some plant, insect or animal to stop the project but they never give a damn about plants, insects or animals when it comes to solar?

Yup, when it comes to green bullshit you can call me a luddite and I'll wear the badge proudly.

Online Hoodat

Cutting down trees causes climate change.  Thanks a lot, libs.

Liberals like to showcase that less snow cover at the peak of Mount Kilimanjaro shows that the planet heating up is melting all the snow (even though their own temperature data show average global temperatures have increased less than 2°F since the birth of Christ).  No, the reason there is less snow cover at the peak of Kilimanjaro is because there is less snow.  And there is less snow because of clear cutting of forest land nearby.

But then you're not going to be able to wield control over other people's lives here in America over something as simple as cutting down trees in Tanzania.  No, you need some bullshit story about how Americans using a gas stove is destroying the planet in Africa.  Liars.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Carbon River Company  out of TN has been recycling wind turbine blades for quite some time now.

I never said the technology wasn't available.  But there is a big difference in the feasibiity and cost effectiveness versus it's mere availability.  Obviously you are over your head in understanding how industry works.  Snake oil abounds, but only nimrods like you think that what might work in a small scale or in convienent locations applies to every scenario.  Especailly when you are talking large parcels of land, and extreme distances to recyling locations

So keep digging.  Your naivety is breath taking.  You really think the owners of these will meet post closure requirements, after the project/equipment life?  If this was such the case, why are there still Superfund sites being serviced, even after (san >1980) RCRA promulgation.  You've overstepped your understanding, and I'd quit if I was you, before embarassing yourself futher.
 As for bird deaths: They are also using acoustics, radar etc

No doubt there may be some tech advances to slightly improve in that area.  Every other aspect of this is negative.  Disposal...   Ruining aesthetics.....   Efficieny......Reliabilty (wind speed req,),  preventive maintenance logistics..... etc. and on and on

As for renewable land use. 

2000 acres are lost every day mostly to housing developments and industry and roads. The amount going to renewable industry is a very small amount.

Good point, if it was a viable industry.  But it isn't.  It's a left wing sponsored and funded boondoggle.

At first I thought you were ignorant  but have come to the realization you are paid troll for the fossil fuel industry. How many other boards are you spewing with you misinformation crap?

I've already provided details of  my previous experience and credentials on these matters, what's yours dumbass? Keep up with the personal attacks....   You've lost the argument and the narrative.   p.s.  The only paid troll, I see here is a "non-conservative enviro-whacko", spewing his eft wing bullshit.  Prove me wrong.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
For the love of God, would all the luddites just wake up and accept that the only way to save the Earth is to destroy it? Who cares how many Raptors and other birds are slaughtered by wind turbines...(non sequitur) cats kill millions too(so who gives a crap if a few million more die) painting one blade black increases visibility...tell that to the thousands upon thousands of pollinators called bats slaughtered that fly at night and don't see the blades.

All this 'technology'/ Green energy we don't need because we have such an abundance of oil and natural gas available that has become cleaner every decade to produce electricity and power our transportation is just wet dreams of Gaia worshipers. Call me a luddite but there is some technology we just don't need, like wind turbines that are shut down because the wind is to high or there is no capacity in the grid for their generation, but while they do run they kill raptors, other birds, pollinators and oh yeah whales. Then we have solar, which is covering and eliminating from other use thousands of acres of desert(that recreational use was forbidden because nature) and an added benefit of these green solar farms is that some of them make wonderful incinerators for birds too! Why is it that when someone wants to develop areas in the California desert the Gaia worshiping greens always bitch and moan and find some plant, insect or animal to stop the project but they never give a damn about plants, insects or animals when it comes to solar?

Yup, when it comes to green bullshit you can call me a luddite and I'll wear the badge proudly.

Thanks Hawk   :beer:

I'd forgot and totally overlooked the bats, which have no defense versus these killing machines.

Online libertybele

Where did they get the 500 million trees @banddag ???
Continued prayers for Trump's safety and that the Lord God Jesus Christ surrounds him with angels to protect him from all evil. 

May HE also have mercy on this country and stop the evil that keeps prevailing.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Fewer trees - less carbon capture.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Online Hoodat

Carbon River Company  out of TN has been recycling wind turbine blades for quite some time now.

Yet another unsustainable money-losing company that would be filing for bankruptcy if not for government subsidies.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline banddag

https://brusselssignal.eu/2023/07/scotland-has-felled-more-than-16-million-trees-to-make-way-for-wind-farms/

The Forestry and Land Scotland (FLS) agency said it had planted more than 500 million trees since 2000. The quantity felled for wind farms equated roughly to its annual harvesting program. A spokesman said: “Renewable energy generated from wind farms is a key element in Scotland’s response to the climate emergency and the shift towards net zero and the infrastructure on land that we manage generates enough power for 600,000 homes.”
« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 06:56:46 pm by banddag »

Offline GtHawk

Yet another unsustainable money-losing company that would be filing for bankruptcy if not for government subsidies.
The most widely utilized method of of turbine blade recycling

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher

lol....good catch.  I know that our normal pine farming suggests 100 trees per acre.  And pines are very vertically configured.  So that should almost be a worst case.

So beandog's imagery forest should take up about 5 million acres. 

One square mile = 640 acres

5 million acres divided by 640 acres equals 7,812 square miles.  The entire Country of Scotland is 30,090 square miles.  And since the Highlands makes up conservatively roughly 60% of Scotland, and not condusive to forest growth.  beandog is claiming that roughly 60-70% of Lowland Scotland has been replanted with trees.  Amazing?  And where did they get the manpower to do that?

His bullshit has gotten so deep, I think we need to get the Mods to bring out the Firehoses to save him.

Offline GtHawk

Thanks Hawk   :beer:

I'd forgot and totally overlooked the bats, which have no defense versus these killing machines.
I just realized I forgot another issue with wind turbines, their disruption of natural wind patterns results in, wait for it...climate change

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher

Online Hoodat

And where did they get the land to plant 500 million trees?  What do you figure?  One hundred trees per acre?  That comes to over 7,800 square miles of land.  That's over one-third of the total arable land mass of Scotland.

Online Hoodat

https://brusselssignal.eu/2023/07/scotland-has-felled-more-than-16-million-trees-to-make-way-for-wind-farms/

The Forestry and Land Scotland (FLS) agency said it had planted more than 500 million trees since 2000. The quantity felled for wind farms equated roughly to its annual harvesting program. A spokesman said: “Renewable energy generated from wind farms is a key element in Scotland’s response to the climate emergency and the shift towards net zero and the infrastructure on land that we manage generates enough power for 600,000 homes.”

You didn't answer the question, @banddag

Online libertybele

The article mentions that they've supposedly have been planted since 2000.

ALSO -- did you note that the article did mention - Mature trees are more efficient at sequestering carbon due to their larger trunks and roots. Studies suggest that it takes many more young trees to absorb the same amount of carbon as one old tree. (Gee, that isn't exactly rocket science).

In essence they are stripping the land of mature trees which are much more eco friendly and replacing them with younger trees. I wonder how long it's going to take for those trees to mature?? Anyway you cut it, what they are doing is idiotic.  Ripping apart beautiful trees for wind farms.  They are complete freakin' morons!!! Anyone that supports what they are doing is a moron as well.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 07:18:07 pm by libertybele »
Continued prayers for Trump's safety and that the Lord God Jesus Christ surrounds him with angels to protect him from all evil. 

May HE also have mercy on this country and stop the evil that keeps prevailing.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
One added note, and from Scottish Government web site. 

https://www.gov.scot/publications/scotlands-forestry-strategy-20192029/pages/4/

"In the last 100 years, forest and woodland cover in Scotland has increased from around 5% to 18.5%"

That would be total forest of about 5500 square miles in Scotland TOTAL, naturally existing and planted

Beandog's math, just isn't adding up.  :cool:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 07:18:25 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline banddag

You didn't answer the question, @banddag

Take it up with the FLS in Scotland. Here they said 272 million trees were planted since 2000 but that did not include then highlighted area below. The FLS quoted 500 million in the other article. They planted 21 million in 2023. Even if the true # is 272 million that more that makes up for the turbine loss.

https://treeweaver59.home.blog/2022/09/03/misleading-claims/

Notably, the omission comes despite the article drawing heavily on a two-year-old story published by Scottish news site The Herald, in which an FLS spokesman was quoted as saying: “That figure for felled trees should also be contrasted with that for the number of trees planted in Scotland over the years 2000 – 2019, a total of 272,000,000, and renewable energy developments fit well with this.”
He added: “The amount of woodland removed across Scotland’s national forests and land, managed by FLS, for wind farm development is not even 1 per cent of the total woodland area”, while the 14 million trees were a commercial crop that would ultimately have been felled for timber.
An FLS spokesman also explained that the 272 million trees planted did not include restock planting on commercial sites. In addition, the Scottish government requires that developers that fell trees to make way for wind farms must carry out compensatory planting elsewhere.
“On average, FLS will plant 25 million trees every year as restock planting of commercial crops,” he said.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 07:19:05 pm by banddag »

Offline GtHawk

And then there are situations where they throw blades, sometimes just collapse, the fact that they don't work without lots of that nasty hydrocarbon stuff.
 Wind turbine noise, harmonics are harmful/disruptive to humans. https://www.kslegislature.org/li_2022/b2021_22/committees/ctte_s_utils_1/documents/testimony/20220208_04.pdf
 Wind turbine noise/harmonics are harmful/disruptive to animals. https://www.discoverwildlife.com/news/wildlife-avoids-wind-power-developments