Author Topic: Takeaways from the voyage to Gaza for the US Army’s watercraft program  (Read 95 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Takeaways from the voyage to Gaza for the US Army’s watercraft program
By Christopher G. Pernin and Lt. Col. Joslyn Fleming
 May 16, 2024, 09:00 AM

When the U.S. Army’s largest watercraft, LSV-1, cast off for Gaza in early March, it marked the start of a momentous journey. This voyage, followed by the deployment of several additional ships loaded with equipment to establish a pier and parts of a modular causeway system, represents a significant portion of the Army’s mission-critical, intra-theater lift capability.

The ships are now in place, and the mission has sparked a wave of discussions, debates and potential misconceptions about the Army watercraft program’s strategic positioning and future.

The question today is: How much does the deployment to Gaza help — or hinder — the future of Army watercraft writ large?

The primary objective of this voyage was to construct a pier in Gaza, a mission that was expected to involve between at least 500 and 1,000 troops and take approximately 60 days. The task is particularly daunting, given the lack of existing port infrastructure in Gaza. Despite the complexities, President Joe Biden has assured the public that no soldier would be on shore, which is likely one reason the Army watercraft program’s specific capabilities were selected.

https://www.defensenews.com/opinion/2024/05/16/takeaways-from-the-voyage-to-gaza-for-the-us-armys-watercraft-program/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson