Author Topic: BBC; Is the move to electric cars running out of power?  (Read 128 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
BBC; Is the move to electric cars running out of power?
« on: May 17, 2024, 10:58:54 am »
Is the move to electric cars running out of power?
12 hours ago
By Ben Chu,
Economics editor, Newsnight

BBC Montage showing EV chargersBBC
Buoyant electric car sales are a must if we're to hit our climate targets. But EV sales in the West are down and if governments want them to recover it may have to be at the expense of their own economies.

The numbers
Any motorway driver will know the feeling: you're cruising along, miles of open road seemingly ahead and then from nowhere, a slowdown.

Something similar has hit the electric vehicle market in 2024. After years of soaring sales, growth appears to be stalling.

Replacing fossil-fuel-powered cars with EVs is central to the UK government's plan to meet its climate goals - road transport accounting for 12% of planetary emissions.

The question is whether this is a blip that will soon disappear into the rear-view mirror, or is this going to prove more enduring? And if it lasts, will governments have the stomach to do what it takes to keep the net zero show on the road?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-69022771
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson