Author Topic: Massachusetts Converts Old Prison Into Migrant Family Shelter In Response To Crisis MARIANE ANGEL  (Read 111 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Massachusetts Converts Old Prison Into Migrant Family Shelter In Response To Crisis

MARIANE ANGELA CONTRIBUTOR
May 15, 2024 8:06 PM ET

The Massachusetts officials revealed Saturday that they plan to convert the Bay State Correctional Center in Norfolk into an emergency shelter for families facing homelessness, WCVB-TV reported.

The former minimum-security prison, equipped with showers, bathrooms, a cafeteria and a gymnasium, will be converted to house around 140 families. Workers will modify the facility to create a domestic environment for the new residents, according to WCVB-TV. Scott Rice, the state’s emergency assistance director, confirmed the facility is prepared for the transition, highlighting its abundant amenities that will support various activities.

New York Post
@nypost
·
Follow

Hundreds of migrants to be sent to Mass. prison — after it’s converted into a family shelter

https://trib.al/Md481mM

6:04 PM · May 15, 2024

The shelter will offer English language lessons and job training programs to help residents achieve stable living conditions. Additionally, it will include designated play areas for children and classroom spaces for adult education, the outlet reported. The adaptation of the prison also addresses local concerns regarding the potential strain on Norfolk’s infrastructure and schools. Jim Lehan from the Norfolk Select Board recognized these concerns, pointing out that the decision is under state control.

“This is a very sensitive issue. People are very concerned about its impact both in terms of our infrastructure and our schools. They have a right to be concerned,” Lehan said, according to WCVB-TV. “Our job is to minimize this impact because we don’t get a vote on this. If the state wants to do this, then the state will do this.”

https://dailycaller.com/2024/05/15/m...helter-crisis/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson