Author Topic: White House forced to respond to Biden’s debunked inflation claim  (Read 325 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
White House forced to respond to Biden’s debunked inflation claim
By
Haisten Willis
May 15, 2024 4:02 pm

The White House was forced Wednesday to defend President Joe Biden‘s dubious claim that inflation was at 9% when he took office.

Biden has said so twice now, but in reality, inflation stood at just 1.4% in January 2021. It did reach 9% — in June 2022, when he’d been in office for nearly 18 months. When a reporter brought up the discrepancy, press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre spoke to wider forces in the economy.

“The point he was making is that the factors that caused inflation were in place when he walked into the administration,” she said. “The pandemic caused inflation around the world by disrupting our economy and breaking our supply chains.”

The reporter had asked if Biden was deliberately misleading the public or if he just didn’t realize that inflation was at 1.4% when he took office.

“Reopening after the pandemic unavoidably increased inflation by unleashing pent-up demand,” Jean-Pierre continued. “Annualized core CPI [consumer price index] in the second term of 2021 was 9%. So he was talking about the factors that were in place that led to that.”

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/white-house/3005344/white-house-responds-biden-debunked-9-percent-inflation-claim/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline roamer_1

“The point he was making is that the factors that caused inflation were in place when he walked into the administration,” she said. “The pandemic caused inflation around the world by disrupting our economy and breaking our supply chains.”

That's partly true - But only partly. Bitem and his administration have only exacerbated the problem.

Offline LMAO

That's partly true - But only partly. Bitem and his administration have only exacerbated the problem.

That’s right

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Hoodat

“The point he was making is that the factors that caused inflation were in place when he walked into the administration,” she said.

There was only one factor in place that causes inflation - the Fed's ability to expand the money supply by funding government excess.  And in that regard, Biden made full use of it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

Bullhockey.

The "American Rescue Plan Act of 2021", which was the third Covid stimulus bill, threw 1.9 trillion in cash into the economy, including $1400 stimulus checks, and was passed and signed by Biden in March 2021.  One consequence of that was turbo-charging inflation. So for Biden to blame the underlying condition entirely on Trump is disingenuous as hell.  However....

Back in December 2020, Trump himself pushed Congress to pass a massive stimulus bill in December 2020 that would have included $2000 stimulus checks, but McConnell opposed it as too expensive and forced the checks to be reduced to $600 instead. So sure, we can and should blame Biden for what he did in March 2021.  The problem is that Trump wanted to pass the $2000 total checks back in December 2020, so he has no room to talk in terms of blaming Biden for inflation.  Here's Trump slamming McConnell for not approving that larger stimulus bill in December 2020:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1343998076084748288

And here's NANCY PELOSI agreeing with Trump pushing for the larger bill and demanding that GOP leadership get it done:

https://twitter.com/SpeakerPelosi/status/1341557535732604935
« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 04:59:20 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline LMAO

Bullhockey.

The "American Rescue Plan Act of 2021", which was the third Covid stimulus bill, threw 1.9 trillion in cash into the economy, and was passed and signed by Biden in March 2021.  One consequence of that was turbo-charging inflation. So for Biden to blame the underlying condition entirely on Trump is disingenuous as hell.  However....

Back in December 2020, Trump himself pushed Congress to pass a massive stimulus bill in December 2020 that would have included $2000 stimulus checks, but McConnell opposed it as too expensive and killed it. So sure, we can and should blame Biden.  The problem is that Trump wanted to pass a bill even bigger than the one Biden eventually passed, so Trump has no room to talk in terms of blaming Biden for inflation.  Here's Trump slamming McConnell for not approving that larger stimulus bill in December 2020:

https://x.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1343998076084748288

And here's NANCY PELOSI agreeing with Trump pushing for the larger bill and demanding that GOP leadership get it done:

https://x.com/SpeakerPelosi/status/1341557535732604935

Yup

Both Trump and Biden share part of the blame equally on inflation

And some still wonder why some of us refuse to vote for more of that
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Yup

Both Trump and Biden share part of the blame equally on inflation

And some still wonder why some of us refuse to vote for more of that

And for all the hate McConnell gets for not being a "true conservative", he repeatedly urged smaller checks and fewer benefits throughout Covid, which is exactly what a conservative Republican was supposed to do.  The problem is that because it was Trump pushing for it, stopping it was almost impossible.  Which, incidentally, is the exact same thing many of us worry would happen in a second Trump term.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 05:11:09 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »