Author Topic: CHIPS and Ships: Time to Stop Gambling with U.S. Seapower  (Read 98 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
CHIPS and Ships: Time to Stop Gambling with U.S. Seapower
« on: May 15, 2024, 02:16:51 pm »
CHIPS and Ships: Time to Stop Gambling with U.S. Seapower
PUBLISHED MAY 14, 2024
@ 8:00 AM

By Rebecca Grant, Ph.D.
Question: What do America’s semi-conductor manufacturers have in common with America’s naval shipyards?

Answer: Both are critical to national security, and both are in danger of falling behind China.

China is building 18 new semi-conductor fabs in 2024. Last year, China churned out 30 navy combat ships while the US delivered 2, according to Sen. Dan Sullivan, R-Alaska, a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee.

The Biden administration has rightly made advanced semi-conductor manufacturing a strategic priority via the Creating Helpful Incentives to Produce Semiconductors (CHIPS) and Science Act of 2022. In March, President Joe Biden announced up to $8.5 billion in direct funding, along with $11 billion in loans under the CHIPS and Science Act for Intel’s Ocotillo campus in Chandler, Arizona.

https://defenseopinion.com/chips-and-ships-time-to-stop-gambling-with-u-s-seapower/604/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: CHIPS and Ships: Time to Stop Gambling with U.S. Seapower
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2024, 02:19:06 pm »
In Red Sea, US Navy paying the price of shipbuilding failures

https://responsiblestatecraft.org/red-sea-houthi-navy/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson