Author Topic: Chinese Handcuffs: How China Exploits America’s Climate Agenda  (Read 93 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Chinese Handcuffs: How China Exploits America’s Climate Agenda
May 6, 2024 
Erin Walsh and Andrew Harding

SUMMARY
Since the 1970s, China has been waging an effective long-term strategy to transform its energy resource vulnerabilities into a net advantage. China’s growing control of and influence over global energy supply chains is providing it with new sources of leverage. Worse still, the U.S. is actively contributing to China’s dominance over the green energy domain while failing to exploit the challenges China has in this sector. With the energy policy trajectory under the Biden Administration, China is positioned to dominate future energy markets for decades to come. This dominance is not inevitable—but the U.S. must act now to prevent it and to free itself from its self-imposed “Chinese handcuffs.”

KEY TAKEAWAYS
America is one of the world’s three largest energy producers; China is the world’s largest energy importer. Yet, current U.S. policy puts energy security at risk.

Over the past few decades, China has been executing a plan to reverse these roles by dominating the so-called green movement openly embraced by the political Left.

The Biden Administration rejoined the Paris Agreement, jeopardizing U.S. energy security, saddling the U.S. with high financial costs, and giving China a free ride.

https://www.heritage.org/asia/report/chinese-handcuffs-how-china-exploits-americas-climate-agenda
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson