Author Topic: Nonprofits Are Making Billions off the Border Crisis  (Read 115 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Nonprofits Are Making Billions off the Border Crisis
« on: May 14, 2024, 02:25:56 pm »
Nonprofits Are Making Billions off the Border Crisis
Federal funding has turned the business of resettling migrant children into a goldmine for a handful of NGOs—and their top executives.

By Madeleine Rowley

May 12, 2024

While the border crisis has become a major liability for President Biden, threatening his reelection chances, it’s become a huge boon to a group of nonprofits getting rich off government contracts.

Although the federally funded Unaccompanied Children Program is responsible for resettling unaccompanied migrant minors who enter the U.S., it delegates much of the task to nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) that run shelters in the border states of Texas, Arizona, and California.

And with the recent massive influx of unaccompanied children—a record 130,000 in 2022, the last year for which there are official stats—the coffers of these NGOs are swelling, along with the salaries of their CEOs.

“The amount of taxpayer money they are getting is obscene,” Charles Marino, former adviser to Janet Napolitano, the secretary of the Department of Homeland Security under Obama, said of the NGOs. “We’re going to find that the waste, fraud, and abuse of taxpayer money will rival what we saw with the Covid federal money.”

https://www.thefp.com/p/nonprofits-make-billions-off-migrant-children
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson