Author Topic: Wall Street Journal: Companies are Balking at the High Cost of Running Electric Trucks.  (Read 85 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Wall Street Journal: Companies are Balking at the High Cost of Running Electric Trucks.
6 hours ago Charles Rotter 20 Comments

The Wall Street Journal recently published an incisive analysis regarding the economic and operational challenges of adopting electric trucks in the logistics sector. The report, based on a study by Ryder Systems, casts doubt on the prevailing enthusiasm for zero-emission vehicles in the freight industry and presents a detailed critique of the assumptions underpinning this shift.

Evaluating the Economic Feasibility
Electric trucks, especially the heavier models, present a substantial economic challenge compared to traditional diesel vehicles. Robert Sanchez, CEO of Ryder, highlights a significant disparity in the cost-effectiveness of these vehicles: “The economics just don’t work for most companies”​​. This statement reflects the broader industry reluctance to invest in electric trucks, which, despite their potential environmental benefits, fail to offer a viable economic case under current conditions.

The WSJ article points out that even with the promise of cleaner operations, the actual numbers tell a different story:

“As trucks get heavier the difference in operating costs between battery-electric vehicles and diesel trucks grows more pronounced,”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/companies-are-balking-at-the-high-costs-of-running-electric-trucks-fed0ce6e?st=p91nhgi60eufetg&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2024/05/08/reassessing-electric-trucks-insights-from-a-wall-street-journal-report-on-economic-and-practical-limitations/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson