Author Topic: Harnessing Insurgent and Narco-Criminal Drone Tactics for Special Operations  (Read 153 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Harnessing Insurgent and Narco-Criminal Drone Tactics for Special Operations
April 30, 2024 by Robert J. Bunker 1 Comment

Editor’s note: This article is part of Project Air Power, which explores and advocates for the totality of air, aviation, and space power in irregular, hybrid, and gray-zone environments. We invite you to contribute to the discussion, explore the difficult questions, and help influence the future of air and space power. Please contact us if you would like to propose an article, podcast, or event.

The US Army recently took the bold initial step to fund and field commercial drones in infantry units, something many experts have been urging for some time. In a sense, the Ukraine warfighting experience has finally shifted the Army’s perspective on the combat effectiveness of low-cost, advanced commercial drones compared to expensive aircraft and military-grade drones. This shift has led to soldiers being encouraged to freely experiment and innovate in addressing the challenges of modern warfare.

This is precisely what violent non-state actors and criminals have been doing for years. Taking a needed step back, this piece explores the benefits behind commercial drone exploitation, similar to the US Marine Corps’ study of how to capitalize on the logistical merits of drug-running narco subs. The latter entails experimenting with prototype logistics supply drones, whose low profile and wake make them rather stealthy for operating in sea lanes contested by great power naval forces.

https://irregularwarfare.org/articles/harnessing-insurgent-and-narco-criminal-drone-tactics-for-special-operations/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
                                                                   HELL YES!!

After watching Ukraine fend off Russia with street tactics, it's about time our Special ops move into new tactics!
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.