Author Topic: Special operations veterans ask Army to not cut tuition, certification benefits  (Read 101 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Special operations veterans ask Army to not cut tuition, certification benefits
A group of special operations veterans say an Army plan to cut education programs will hurt promotion and retention of elite soldiers.

BY PATTY NIEBERG | PUBLISHED MAY 3, 2024 2:07 PM EDT

Special operators are asking the Army not to cut benefits that help soldiers pay for secondary education and vocational training for civilian jobs post-military service.

David Cook, director of the Special Operations Association of America said that an Army proposal to cut civilian tuition and certification assistance could mean special operators like Green Berets and Rangers would lose a key path for promotions, leading to lower retention rates.

“The nature of special operations is that you have to volunteer to get selected, you have to go through the most rigorous training in the world and you go in every day with people that are better than you,” Cook, a former psychological operations soldier, told Task & Purpose. “Along with the fact that the Army evaluations have included secondary education to be promoted for senior enlisted ranks – then special operations promotion rates are higher than the conventional Army – which means that tuition assistance is a vital incentive for special operators to take advantage of.”

The group’s letter comes amid reports that the Army is considering cuts to two major assistance programs. The cuts, first reported by Military.com, come as the services and Congress are working through funding for the fiscal year 2025 budget.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/special-operators-army-tuition-benefits/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Asking congress not to cut some programs is almost a sure-fire way to insure they will.  The democrats, rinos, and communists that infest congress don't care to pass something patriotic people want. **nononono*
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson