Author Topic: US greenlights $60M in military assistance to Haiti amid rampant gang violence  (Read 85 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
US greenlights $60M in military assistance to Haiti amid rampant gang violence
The move is seen as an apparent attempt to go around Republican oversight efforts.

By MATT BERG and LARA SELIGMAN

05/04/2024 12:30 PM EDT

The Biden administration has approved a $60 million military aid package to help Haiti quell violent gangs wreaking havoc in the country, according to documents obtained by POLITICO.

The package, the second the U.S. has approved for the Haiti crisis this year, includes mostly small arms but also some armored vehicles. The notification lists at least 80 Humvees, 35 MaxxPro infantry carriers, sniper rifles, riot control gear, firearms, ammunition and surveillance drones.

The move would send weapons and equipment to the Haitian National Police as well as to nations supporting the multinational security mission to help quell the violence in Haiti: Kenya, Jamaica and the Bahamas among others, the memorandum of jurisdiction for the drawdown reads.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/05/04/us-military-assistance-haiti-violence-00156150
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Would Dem. Rep Hank Johnson ask if they get too much equipment on one side, won't Haiti tip over? wink777
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson