Author Topic: How AI is outsmarting Green energy, zero carbon fantasies  (Read 114 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
How AI is outsmarting Green energy, zero carbon fantasies
« on: May 06, 2024, 10:14:58 am »
How AI is outsmarting Green energy, zero carbon fantasies
By
Larry Bell
|
May 6th, 2024

Big artificial intelligence-related companies are soon coming to realize that net-zero emissions plans to kill and replace fossil energy with wind and solar is a dumb notion that will leave them and American power consumers competing in the dark.

As noted by Wall Street Journal writers Jennifer Hiller and Scott Patterson, giant data centers providing computing power needed for artificial intelligence are setting off a four-way battle among electric utilities trying to keep the lights on, tech companies that like to tout their climate credentials, consumers angry at rising electricity prices, and regulators overseeing investments in the grid and trying to turn it green.

Alphabet, Microsoft and Amazon, three of the largest AI data center users, have previously criticized a proposal by utility company Georgia Power to expand natural gas use at the expense of hurting their renewable energy programs.

The problem is that those centers require huge amounts of reliable electricity to operate, and no nearly adequate hydrocarbon replacement exists.

https://www.cfact.org/2024/05/06/how-ai-is-outsmarting-green-energy-zero-carbon-fantasies/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=how-ai-is-outsmarting-green-energy-zero-carbon-fantasies&utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=how-ai-is-outsmarting-green-energy-zero-carbon-fantasies
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson