Author Topic: SEA LEVEL! EVERYONE PANIC!  (Read 96 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
SEA LEVEL! EVERYONE PANIC!
« on: May 06, 2024, 09:56:25 am »
SEA LEVEL! EVERYONE PANIC!
17 hours ago Willis Eschenbach 

Guest Post by Willis Eschenbach

Well, I see that the climate hypemeisters are at it again. Here’s Google News on the subject.

Figure 1. The usual, from the usual suspects.

So I thought I’d take a look at some of the claims. To start with, here’s an overview of the sea level rise around the US coasts.

Figure 2. US relative sea level trends. Red is fastest rising, then orange, yellow, green, and finally blue for areas where relative sea level is falling. SOURCE: NOAA

A few notes of interest. First, look at the east coast / west coast differences in relative sea level rise. This is generally not because sea levels are rising at different rates on the east and west coasts. It’s because the land is generally sinking on the east coast and rising on the west coast. Nothing to do with the ocean.

Next, check out the local differences. At Grand Isle, Louisiana, the big red arrow in the Gulf of Mexico, the relative sea level is rising at 9.2 mm per year … while only a short distance away, the green arrow to the right of Grand Isle shows that Pensacola, Florida has a relative sea level rise less than a third of that, 2.7 mm per year.

Why different sea level rise rates? Again, it has nothing to do with the ocean. It’s because Grand Isle is a silty barrier island in the Mississippi Delta, and like all such islands, it’s slowly sinking into the briny blue.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2024/05/05/sea-level-everyone-panic/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson