Author Topic: Iowa will face lawsuit if it acts on immigration law, DOJ warns  (Read 115 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Iowa will face lawsuit if it acts on immigration law, DOJ warns

BY FILIP TIMOTIJA THEHILL.COM
UPDATED MAY 04, 2024 6:04 AM

The Department of Justice (DOJ) warned Iowa on Friday that the state will face a lawsuit if it implements an immigration law that forbids people from being in the state if they were previously denied entry into the United States.

The DOJ informed Iowa's top state officials, Gov. Kim Reynolds and the state Attorney General Brenna Bird, that it intends to sue The Hawkeye State by May 7 if it enforces SF 2340, a bill that makes it a crime for a person to be in Iowa if they were previously removed from the U.S. or have outstanding deportation orders.

Reynolds said the law will be enforced since it is her "duty" to protect Iowa residents. "The only reason we had to pass this law is because the Biden Administration refuses to enforce the laws already on the books," Reynolds said in a Friday post on social media platform X. "I have a duty to protect the citizens of Iowa. Unlike the federal government, we will respect the rule of law and enforce it."

Read more at: https://www.fresnobee.com/news/politics-government/article288306830.html#storylink=cpy
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Iowa will face lawsuit if it acts on immigration law, DOJ warns
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2024, 05:08:38 pm »
Bring it jagholes!
The Republic is lost.