Author Topic: AI-PILOTED F-16 TAKES ON HUMAN PILOT IN ‘COMPLEX DOGFIGHTS’  (Read 157 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
AI-PILOTED F-16 TAKES ON HUMAN PILOT IN ‘COMPLEX DOGFIGHTS’
AIRPOWER, BREAKING NEWS
BY ALEX HOLLINGS
APRIL 17, 2024

On Wednesday, the U.S. Air Force revealed that its ongoing effort to field artificial intelligence (AI) pilots for combat aircraft has already seen AI-piloted F-16s take on their human counterparts in complex air-combat exercises. This effort is part of DARPA’s Air Combat Evolution (ACE) program, and is seen as an essential step toward equipping forthcoming 6th-generation fighters with AI-enabled drone wingmen.

These drills, which took place over the past 12 months, saw artificial intelligence take the stick of a heavily modified Block 30 F-16D known as the X-62 VISTA throughout a series of 21 increasingly complex operations, with rapid changes made to the coding of the AI “agent” piloting the aircraft between each bout. After logging more than 100,000 code changes to the AI’s flight-critical software over the course of the year, the AI agent was made ready to take on a human pilot in an opposing F-16 in what the Air Force described as “highly complex dogfights.”

“The potential for autonomous air-to-air combat has been imaginable for decades, but the reality has remained a distant dream up until now. In 2023, the X-62A broke one of the most significant barriers in combat aviation. This is a transformational moment, all made possible by breakthrough accomplishments of the X-62A ACE team,” said Secretary of the Air Force Frank Kendall.

https://www.sandboxx.us/news/us-air-force-ai-piloted-f-16-takes-on-human-pilot-in-complex-dogfights/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: AI-PILOTED F-16 TAKES ON HUMAN PILOT IN ‘COMPLEX DOGFIGHTS’
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2024, 02:21:04 pm »
Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.
The Republic is lost.