Author Topic: Lloyd Austin Says Troops On Gaza Pier Are Not ‘Boots On The Ground’  (Read 485 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Lloyd Austin Says Troops On Gaza Pier Are Not ‘Boots On The Ground’
Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 12.16.23

MICAELA BURROW
INVESTIGATIVE REPORTER, DEFENSE
April 30, 2024
1:24 PM ET
FONT SIZE:

Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin insisted Tuesday that stationing troops off a humanitarian pier leading to Gaza does not count as having boots on land, while leaving wide open the possibility of a live-fire exchange with attackers on the ground.

The statement appears to undercut the Biden administration’s attempts to assuage concerns about the safety of the 1,000 U.S. troops who just began construction on the artificial port, and its insistence that the U.S. military will not be involved in combat operations in Gaza while supporting Israel’s war against Hamas. Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz of Florida said the administration is claiming that “boots on a pier connected to the ground connected to service members shooting into Gaza doesn’t count as boots on the ground” at a House Armed Services Committee hearing Tuesday.

“It does not,” Austin responded.

https://dailycaller.com/2024/04/30/lloyd-austin-says-troops-on-gaza-pier-not-boots-ground/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
They should send his sorry ass over there and tell him his new office is on the pier until the area is secure.  I'll bet it would become one of the safest places on earth within 48 hours. :amen:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline PeteS in CA

Their boots may be a couple hundred yards from being on the ground, but I'm sure the Arab Palis will find ways to make that slightly longer range to their targets irrelevant.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online mountaineer

Sorry, doofus, but boots on a pier in a war zone are pretty darn close - too close - to "boots on the ground."

Jordan Schachtel @ dossier.today
@JordanSchachtel
Imagine volunteering to serve your country and then being told that you have to build a pier for Hamas because Biden needs to win Michigan.
9:59 AM · Apr 30, 2024
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 06:50:04 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

Remarkable video from today's House hearing. Matt Gaetz and Lloyd Austin both agree it's very likely U.S. troops will come under fire from Hamas.

https://twitter.com/CitizenFreePres/status/1785373745659441177

Offline DefiantMassRINO

This has Beirut (1983) and Somalia (1993) written all over it.  Repeating the same damned mistake(s) won't get different results.

If there is an incident involving American casualties before the Election, Biden could lose the Presidency.

Americans are damn sick of wars in the Middle East ... they say it will pay for itself, but it never does ... they say it makes the region safe for democracy, but it never does ... they say we'll get oil out of it, but ungrateful Opec Members, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia, screw us every chance they get ... let the Arab League or the UN deal with this crap.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
'Boots on the ground' and other military jargon are designed to confuse

The Guardian by Scott Beauchamp

In the carnival-mirror world of Washington bureaucracy, language is used to obscure more often than communicate the presence and role of US troops

When it comes to describing our military engagements across the world, Orwellian seems to be the language of choice for the US government. They consistently use the alchemy of bureaucratic language to transform words with clear meaning into jargon. This baffles any attempt to truly inform the public and keeps our national defense insidery and anti-democratic.

Take the phrase “boots on the ground”. The literal meaning of the words seems clear enough, and the colloquial use of the phrase – defined as “American forces deployed to a foreign country” – is unambiguous. So why was there such an awkward debate over this phrase after Barack Obama’s announcement last month that special forces advisers would be deployed to Syria?

It’s important to remember that if American “boots on the ground” was defined by actual boots on real ground, then it would be safe to say that we’re currently engaged in a worldwide deployment. America has bases in over 80 countries around the globe.

There are 113 “base sites” located in Germany alone. At any given moment there are nearly 250,000 American troops stationed overseas. Syria might be in the spotlight at the moment, but we also have a troop buildup currently happening in Africa, deployments in the Sinai and we even just recently sent Stryker armored vehicles to the Arctic Circle for the first time.

To list our considerable military involvement with the world, to describe the nearly unbroken chain of bases that girdle the globe, doesn’t amount to a knee-jerk condemnation of the situation. It’s just a prerequisite for having an honest conversation. But to avoid acknowledging the extent of American military undertakings is to implicitly condone them.

In the carnival-mirror world of Washington bureaucracy, language is used to obscure more often than communicate the presence and role of US troops abroad. So when White House press secretary Josh Earnest was asked to explain why Obama had gone back on his 2013 promise to not put “boots on the ground” in Syria, Earnest was forced to redefine the phrase to mean “large-scale, long-term ground combat operations in either Syria or Iraq”.

More: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/nov/13/boots-on-the-ground-other-confusing-military-jargon-us-troops

Online mountaineer

Chuck Callesto
@ChuckCallesto
JUST IN: ⚠️ Lloyd Austin says US troops that are constructing Gaza aid pier can RETURN FIRE if attacked by Hamas..

BIDEN IS LEADING AMERICA DIRECTLY TO WW 3..

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin told House lawmakers Tuesday that US forces helping to construct a floating humanitarian pier along the Gaza Strip’s coast may return fire if attacked from the Hamas-run Palestinian enclave — causing an uproar among both Democrats and Republicans.
5:55 PM · Apr 30, 2024
Gee, that's great. Unfortunately, few of our military are permitted to walk around with loaded weapons anymore.

Offline LMAO

They should send his sorry ass over there and tell him his new office is on the pier until the area is secure.  I'll bet it would become one of the safest places on earth within 48 hours. :amen:

Yup
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline libertybele

Sorry, doofus, but boots on a pier in a war zone are pretty darn close - too close - to "boots on the ground."

Jordan Schachtel @ dossier.today
@JordanSchachtel
Imagine volunteering to serve your country and then being told that you have to build a pier for Hamas because Biden needs to win Michigan.
9:59 AM · Apr 30, 2024

**nononono* **nononono* 888mouth
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.