Author Topic: WILL FEARLESS AND TIRELESS ROBOTS LEAD TO MORE TERRIFYING WARS?  (Read 152 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
WILL FEARLESS AND TIRELESS ROBOTS LEAD TO MORE TERRIFYING WARS?
ANTONIO SALINAS
APRIL 24, 2024

While developing the nuclear bomb, Robert Oppenheimer and his colleagues expressed concerns about the possibility of igniting the Earth’s atmosphere. Today, with the emergence of autonomous weapons, we are faced with a similar risk of causing catastrophic damage by unleashing weapons that can kill without feeling fear. The consequences of unleashing such fearless weapons on the battlefield could be far more devastating than we can imagine. Indeed, humanity may come to miss the restraining and mitigating effects of fear, fatigue, and stress on the horrors of combat.

The proliferation of autonomous weapons will affect the future conduct of warfare. But we do not know how. After all, while new technologies are produced with instruction manuals, they do not come with strategy, doctrine, or tactics. Throughout military history, warfare has been wedded to humans who kill under the shadow of primordial danger and fear. People behave differently when they think they have a chance of dying. The combined psychological stressors of combat can aid in producing friction, which can impede the most intricately drawn “blue arrows” on any battle plan from coming to fruition. With this in mind, it is critical to consider how supplementing humans with autonomous weapons will impact the future face of battle.

Military technology may be on the cusp of a revolution that will forever change the face of warfare. Autonomous weapons, immune to the psychological factors of combat, are on the horizon and will usher in a new era of lethality. They will influence offensive and defensive operations and provide novel strategic options. The deployment of autonomous weapons has the potential to make warfare more efficient, but it also has the potential to make it more gruesome and terrible.

https://warontherocks.com/2024/04/will-fearless-and-tireless-robots-lead-to-more-terrifying-wars/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: WILL FEARLESS AND TIRELESS ROBOTS LEAD TO MORE TERRIFYING WARS?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2024, 05:28:35 pm »
WILL FEARLESS AND TIRELESS ROBOTS LEAD TO MORE TERRIFYING WARS?

Are they planning to make the entire military democrats? :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: WILL FEARLESS AND TIRELESS ROBOTS LEAD TO MORE TERRIFYING WARS?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2024, 07:33:23 pm »
The lower the perceived individual risk, the more willing an individual is to engage in risky behaviour.

Despite crumple zones, air bags, seat belts, etc. which nearly guarantee walking away from a mid energy collision, people still manage to die at a phenomenal rate on the nations highways, driving in a manner which would have been considered patently insane in the days of steel dashboards and unrestrained occupants.

Now, apply that principle to warfare...with more destructive devices than ever, short of nukes, and even those might be more likely to be unleashed against a non-human target.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis