Author Topic: Coddling Iran Brings War to the Middle East  (Read 100 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Coddling Iran Brings War to the Middle East
« on: April 30, 2024, 05:19:02 pm »
Coddling Iran Brings War to the Middle East
Obama's deference to the Mullahs finds us fighting proxy wars against them.
by FRANCIS P. SEMPA
April 28, 2024, 10:36 PM
Libin Jose/Shutterstock

It cannot be stated too frequently that during Donald Trump’s presidency the Middle East was at relative peace and the Abraham Accords charted a new course for U.S. foreign policy there. This accord removed the irreconcilable Israeli-Palestinian conflict from center stage and replaced it with a realism that hadn’t been seen since the Nixon administration. In Trump, America had a president who didn’t care what Thomas Friedman wrote about the region in the New York Times, and who was determined to break through the bureaucratic inertia of the State Department (like Nixon and Kissinger did) to make deals that would benefit U.S. interests.

Meanwhile, Thomas Friedman, who people in the Biden administration undoubtedly read, keeps calling for regime change in Israel.

Trump’s approach, as Edward Luttwak points out in an insightful essay in Unherd, broke with the “delusional” policies of the Obama administration, which unfortunately have reappeared under Biden. As a result, Iran has been emboldened, launching proxy wars against Israel, supplying the Houthis with weapons to cause havoc in and around the Red Sea, and most recently attacking Israel directly with ballistic missiles and drones. Meanwhile, pro-Palestinian forces within the United States hold public anti-Israeli/anti-American demonstrations on college campuses and elsewhere. The world is reaping what Obama sowed. (READ MORE from Francis P. Sempa: What Will Happen to Russia After Putin?)

Luttwak notes that Obama’s Iran policy “has achieved the exact opposite of what he had wanted.” The U.S. and Iran, instead of reconciling, are fighting a proxy war in the Middle East. The Obama apology tour of the region in 2009, his nuclear deals with Iran, and the removal of sanctions against the regime have reaped a foul and dangerous harvest. Obama’s policies, Luttwak explains, gave Iran’s leaders “the time and the oil revenues to recruit Shi’a militias from Lebanon to Yemen now holding the Middle East to ransom.” Luttwak writes that it was delusional of Obama to believe that he could persuade the Mullahs to abandon their “‘death to America’ hostility.” And while Luttwak gives Obama credit for refraining from following the advice of some neoconservatives to attack Iran militarily (Trump, too, wisely rejected similar advice), the overall approach to the region during his eight years was a combination of Wilsonian imprudence regarding the so-called Arab Spring, hostility to Israel, and deference to the region’s Islamic regimes.

https://spectator.org/coddling-iran-brings-war-to-the-middle-east/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Coddling Iran Brings War to the Middle East
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2024, 05:19:34 pm »
Just as it did with Nazi Germany!
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson