Author Topic: Marine unit found metal shavings in F-35 fuel, plastic tool in wing  (Read 137 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Marine unit found metal shavings in F-35 fuel, plastic tool in wing
By Stephen Losey
 Apr 29, 12:56 PM

U.S. Navy Under Secretary Erik Raven learns about the F-35C from a pilot with Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 311 during a visit to Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in California. The squadron found multiple problems with five newly delivered F-35C Joint Strike Fighters late last year, according to a memo obtained exclusively by Defense News. (Sgt. Joshua Brittenham/U.S. Marine Corps)
Metal shavings in contaminated fuel, incorrectly assembled parts, and a plastic scraper protruding from a wing fold were among the faults discovered in five new F-35C Joint Strike Fighters delivered to a U.S. Marine Corps fighter squadron in California in 2023, according to a memo obtained by Defense News.

Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 311, or VMFA-311, at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in San Diego discovered an array of problems with its Lockheed Martin-made F-35s that ultimately required more than 700 hours of work to fix and wasted more than 169,000 pounds of fuel, the Jan. 7 memo said.

On Dec. 7, for instance, a plastic scraper was discovered protruding from the wing fold of one of the squadron’s jets, after the jet had flown, the memo noted. The 5.5-inch scraper was discovered during a post-flight inspection on the jet and fell to the ground.

The F-35C is the Joint Strike Fighter variant flown by the Navy and Marine Corps, and each plane costs $94.4 million. It can take off from and land on aircraft carriers, and its wingtips are able to fold up to allow more compact storage on aircraft carriers.

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2024/04/29/marine-unit-found-metal-shavings-in-f-35-fuel-plastic-tool-in-wing/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Marine unit found metal shavings in F-35 fuel, plastic tool in wing
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2024, 07:26:37 pm »
Details count, especially little things in complex systems!

For want of a nail, the shoe was lost,
For want of a shoe, the horse was lost,
For want of a horse, the battle was lost,
With the battle, the kingdom was lost...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis