Author Topic: Justice Thomas raised crucial question about legitimacy of special counsel's prosecution of Trump  (Read 158 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Justice Thomas raised crucial question about legitimacy of special counsel's prosecution of Trump
Jack Smith was a private citizen when AG Garland appointed him as special counsel to investigate Trump in 2022
Thomas Phippen By Thomas Phippen Fox News
Published April 27, 2024 5:13pm EDT

Fox News contributor Jonathan Turley discusses the key takeaways from Supreme Court arguments over former President Trump's immunity claims on 'Special Report.'

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas raised a question Thursday that goes to the heart of Special Counsel Jack Smith's charges against former President Donald Trump.

The high court was considering Trump's argument that he is immune from prosecution for actions he took while president, but another issue is whether Smith and the Office of Special Counsel have the authority to bring charges at all.

"Did you, in this litigation, challenge the appointment of special counsel?" Thomas asked Trump attorney John Sauer on Thursday during a nearly three-hour session at the Supreme Court.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/justice-thomas-raised-crucial-question-about-legitimacy-special-counsels-prosecution-trump
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Justice Thomas raised crucial question about legitimacy of special counsel's prosecution of Trump

Shouldn't that read PERSECUTION OF TRUMP?
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson