Author Topic: Minigun-Armed Mojave Drone Now Blasting Targets At 6,000 Rounds Per Minute  (Read 112 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Minigun-Armed Mojave Drone Now Blasting Targets At 6,000 Rounds Per Minute
This is the first time Minigun pods have been live-fired from a drone in this class and there are already plans to expand on the capability.

BY
JOSEPH TREVITHICK
|
PUBLISHED APR 23, 2024 1:57 PM EDT
General Atomics' Mojave short takeoff and landing drone armed with a pair of Minigun pods recently conducted a first-of-its-kind live-fire demonstration.

General Atomics' Mojave short take-off and landing drone armed with a pair of Dillon Aero DAP-6 Minigun pods shredded several static targets in a first-of-its-kind live-fire demonstration earlier this month. The company already has plans to further build on this new capability. This also comes as it is looking to pitch something of a hybrid of Mojave and its MQ-1C Gray Eagle to the U.S. Army as a new armed reconnaissance platform following the service's cancellation of its most recent armed scout helicopter program.

The DAP-6-armed Mojave engaged multiple ground targets in seven strafing runs across two separate sorties on April 13, according to a press release and accompanying video, seen below, that General Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI) put out today. At one point in the video, a Chevy pickup truck is seen exploding. The 7.62x51mm rounds that a Minigun fires are not explosive, but the truck could've been rigged with explosives or fuel inside of it could have ignited.

A total of 10,000 rounds of 7.62x51mm ammunition were fired across all seven passes, or an average of around 1,428 rounds per pass. GA-ASI conducted the live-fire demonstration, which it funded internally, at the Army's Yuma Proving Ground in Arizona.

https://www.twz.com/air/minigun-armed-mojave-drone-now-blasting-targets-at-6000-rounds-per-minute
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson