Author Topic: Is This the End for Human Fighter Pilots?  (Read 85 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Is This the End for Human Fighter Pilots?
« on: April 24, 2024, 04:32:57 pm »
Is This the End for Human Fighter Pilots?
By Roger Thompson
April 24, 2024
U.S. Air Force photo by Christian Turner

In the April 18, 2024 issue of The Telegraph, journalist Cameron Henderson published an article titled “History made as U.S. Military conducts first ever human vs AI dogfight”, and reported something that profoundly disturbs me. He wrote that in September 2023, a USAF F-16 fighter pilot went through a series of engagements with another F-16 controlled by Artificial Intelligence (AI). He said: “Travelling at speeds of up to 1,200 miles per hour, the two jets practised both defensive and offensive scenarios as well as within-visual-range combat, known as dogfighting. At one point they came within 2,000 feet (610 metres) of each other.” This is the first time that an AI pilot has flown in the air against a human pilot, and sadly I think it just could be the beginning of the end for human fighter pilots.

People have predicted that humans would eventually be replaced by computers in the cockpit for decades, but until now it has only happened in simulators. Henderson said that back in 2019, a dogfight between a human USAF fighter pilot and an AI pilot in a simulator resulted in 5-0 victory for the machine. After that, much alleged progress has been made: “Since it was first built in December 2022, the [AI] jet has been taken out on at least 21 test flights, totalling more than 17 hours of flight time and the first-time machine-learning has been used to pilot a fighter jet. During flight, the AI algorithm on the jet analyses data and makes real-time decisions, a process called machine learning, that mirrors the way in which fighter pilots hone their instincts over years of practice. Carrying out a dogfight between an AI-powered jet and a human marks a ‘transformational moment in aerospace history’, DARPA [Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency] said in a statement.”

The article did not actually come out and say the AI pilot won any engagements this time, which could be very good news, but nevertheless the USAF is apparently very pleased with this development. This is disturbing to people like me, who see good reason to be sceptical about AI, especially the potential to replace human beings in various occupations. On the other hand, the fact that the USAF apparently did not release any information about who won the dogfight could be very telling. Perhaps the man or woman won, and if so, they can keep their jobs, for now.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2024/04/24/is_this_the_end_for_human_fighter_pilots_1027021.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Is This the End for Human Fighter Pilots?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2024, 04:34:37 pm »
Maybe the larger question is will war eventually price itself out of business? :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson