Author Topic: Senate passes bill forcing TikTok’s parent company to sell or face ban, sends to Biden for signature  (Read 1403 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senate passes bill forcing TikTok’s parent company to sell or face ban, sends to Biden for signature

By HALELUYA HADERO
Updated 9:47 PM CDT, April 23, 2024

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Senate passed legislation Tuesday that would force TikTok’s China-based parent company to sell the social media platform under the threat of a ban, a contentious move by U.S. lawmakers that’s expected to face legal challenges and disrupt the lives of content creators who rely on the short-form video app for income.

The TikTok legislation was included as part of a larger $95 billion package that provides foreign aid to Ukraine and Israel and was passed 79-18. It now goes to President Joe Biden, who said in a statement immediately after passage that he will sign it Wednesday.

A decision made by House Republicans last week to attach the TikTok bill to the high-priority package helped expedite its passage in Congress and came after negotiations with the Senate, where an earlier version of the bill had stalled. That version had given TikTok’s parent company, ByteDance, six months to divest its stakes in the platform. But it drew skepticism from some key lawmakers concerned it was too short of a window for a complex deal that could be worth tens of billions of dollars.

The revised legislation extends the deadline, giving ByteDance nine months to sell TikTok, and a possible three-month extension if a sale is in progress. The bill would also bar the company from controlling TikTok’s secret sauce: the algorithm that feeds users videos based on their interests and has made the platform a trendsetting phenomenon.

TikTok did not immediately return a request for comment Tuesday night.

more
https://apnews.com/article/tiktok-ban-congress-bill-1c48466df82f3684bd6eb21e61ebcb8d?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=share
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I wonder if Biden will actually bite the Chicom hand that feeds him.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Catturd
@catturd2

The DOJ, FBI, and the uniparty, who just pushed and approved warrantless spying on US citizens, wants you to know that TikTok is dangerous because a government wants to get your private information without you knowing about it.

1:03 PM · Apr 24, 2024

Offline kevindavis007

Catturd
@catturd2

The DOJ, FBI, and the uniparty, who just pushed and approved warrantless spying on US citizens, wants you to know that TikTok is dangerous because a government wants to get your private information without you knowing about it.

1:03 PM · Apr 24, 2024

Wow, I never thought I saw the day that MAGA would defend an app that comes from a country that hates us. Not surprised, after Trump did a flip-flop after receiving money from one of the investors of Tik Tok.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online DB

Wow, I never thought I saw the day that MAGA would defend an app that comes from a country that hates us. Not surprised, after Trump did a flip-flop after receiving money from one of the investors of Tik Tok.

Where was that?

The quote is the hypocrisy of our government doing the same thing the Chinese are doing.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Where was that?

The quote is the hypocrisy of our government doing the same thing the Chinese are doing.

This is the cost of making every topic about Trump.  Nonsensical posts.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline kevindavis007

This is the cost of making every topic about Trump.  Nonsensical posts.

I'm just pointing out that the Orange idiot wanted TikTok banned (which he tried to do in 2020), and now all of a sudden after he got a sizeable donation from one of its investors Jeff Yass gave a sizable donation to the Orange idiot he changed his mind, now MAGA is defending an app that came from a Communist country.

Maybe MAGA likes communism since they love Putin as well.

https://twitter.com/HatCope/status/1783239187195658517
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online DB

I didn't know Trump changed is position on TikTok...

If true, not surprising...

Online mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

Associated Press story: What a TikTok ban in the U.S. could mean for you.

Online mountaineer

Brendan Carr
@BrendanCarrFCC
With the TikTok bill passing, there's a lot of interest in how TikTok lost Washington. In many ways, it can be traced to June 17, 2022 when reporter @ebakerwhite broke the story wide open.  She obtained leaked audio exposing that "Everything is seen in China." Whatever recognitions are awarded to consequential, gumshoe, and deeply researched reporting, Emily Baker-White deserves them. A Beijing-based TikTok/ByteDance team even attempted to surveil her location to disrupt her reporting.
10:24 AM · Apr 24, 2024

https://twitter.com/ebakerwhite/status/1537835795645575168

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

I'm just pointing out that the Orange idiot wanted TikTok banned (which he tried to do in 2020), and now all of a sudden after he got a sizeable donation from one of its investors Jeff Yass gave a sizable donation to the Orange idiot he changed his mind, now MAGA is defending an app that came from a Communist country.

Maybe MAGA likes communism since they love Putin as well.

First I'd heard of it, and you are correct about the TikTok.  No idea what he does sometimes.   :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mountaineer

Ken Klippenstein
@kenklippenstein
As Biden cheers TikTok ban, the White House is quietly courting TikTok influencers as 2024 election nears, visitor logs reveal
Last edited
5:32 PM · Apr 23, 2024

As Biden Cheers TikTok Ban, White House Embraces TikTok Influencers; The White House brushes off accusations of hypocrisy, courting TikTok while seeking to ban it. , from The Intercept.

Online mountaineer

R. F. Kennedy, Jr., announces he's filing suit over the TikTok bill.
I’m going to file a lawsuit challenging the TikTok ban on constitutional grounds. Don’t be fooled – the TikTok ban is not about China harvesting your data. That’s a smoke screen. Intelligence agencies from lots of countries, especially ours, are harvesting your data from everywhere all the time.  ...

https://twitter.com/RobertKennedyJr/status/1784091241644457990