Author Topic: Could interest rate hikes be keeping inflation high?  (Read 1227 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Could interest rate hikes be keeping inflation high?
« on: April 23, 2024, 01:29:07 pm »
by Tobias Burns - 04/23/24 6:00 AM ET

The stickiness of the post-pandemic inflation is raising questions about how effective high interest rates are at bringing down price increases – and if they could be fueling the problem.

Standard economic thinking says that higher interest rates should bring down prices by squeezing the labor market and lessening the demand for goods and services. Lower demand then forces companies to cut their prices.

Inflation began a rapid descent in the middle of 2022 but has remained above 3 percent for nearly a year, ticking up to 3.5 percent in March. Some experts are now questioning the logic behind rate hikes and asking if they may even be stimulating the economy toward further growth rather than slowing it down.

For that to work, the extra money made in the form of interest income from higher rates would need to be making its way back into the economy through consumer spending, thereby adding more fuel to price increases.

Investors and wealth managers say they’re seeing the signs.

“It’s people who have piles of cash that are generating more cash faster than they can spend it,” Ritholtz Wealth Management CEO Josh Brown said on the CNBC television network last week.

“I work in wealth management … I’m telling you, this segment of the population is not only not pulling back because rates are higher, but in many cases they feel like they’re doing better than ever.”

The Fed is poised to keep rates at the current baseline range of 5.25 to 5.5 percent at its next policy meeting in May after several hot employment and inflation reports. Fed Chair Jerome Powell said last week that the central bank has yet to see desired “progress” in its inflation fight and is prepared to keep rates higher for longer.

more
https://thehill.com/business/4612114-could-interest-rate-hikes-be-keeping-inflation-high/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online LMAO

Re: Could interest rate hikes be keeping inflation high?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2024, 01:46:07 pm »
It’s record-breaking deficits and printing money that’s keeping inflation high
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2024, 01:54:09 pm »

:yowsa: pointing-up
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2024, 09:32:11 pm »
Judging from the title, it sounds like Mr. Burns is trying hard to turn the laws of economics inside out...

Online DB

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2024, 09:38:10 pm »
Judging from the title, it sounds like Mr. Burns is trying hard to turn the laws of economics inside out...

You have to deny the obvious to tow the party line.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2024, 10:49:25 pm »
Sorry, I think they're reaching...hard.

Doubly funny, rich people making money and injecting it into the economy sounds alot like old Reagan style supply-side 'trickle down' economic, which I thought was heresy.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2024, 11:23:38 pm »

No, no, no, and no.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2024, 11:36:29 pm »
Combined with increasing fuel costs (Biden energy policies) which make transporting most everything more expensive, which makes most everything more expensive.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 11:37:40 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2024, 11:52:24 pm »
And the ugly underbelly of this article is not that inflation will perpetuate, but Fedzilla is going to have to fund it's bond habit by floating 5-6% treasuries for 30 years, instead of 2-4%.

That little corner our criminal legislators have painted ourselves  in, is shrinking by the day. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online DB

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2024, 11:58:56 pm »
And the ugly underbelly of this article is not that inflation will perpetuate, but Fedzilla is going to have to fund it's bond habit by floating 5-6% treasuries for 30 years, instead of 2-4%.

That little corner our criminal legislators have painted ourselves  in, is shrinking by the day.

Almost... They can also do "quantitative easing" which is just creating money out of thin air with no need to borrow it via treasury notes. THAT, devalues the money and makes everything cost more in terms of dollars. And they've been doing that with reckless abandon and we've been living the consequences.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2024, 12:14:15 am »
It is a myth known as "modern monetary theory" that a central bank can control inflation by tweaking interest rates. While inflation is the result of increases in the money supply, those increases come about as a result of big government deficits, and the Fed then buying Treasury debt, which finds its way into the economy when the government spends the money. Politicians and their sycophants in the media will seek to blame all sorts of other boogeymen, but the bottom line is very simple to understand: inflation is a tax, one of the most regressive taxes there is.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2024, 12:51:34 am »
Almost... They can also do "quantitative easing" which is just creating money out of thin air with no need to borrow it via treasury notes.

We are now in our fifteenth consecutive year of 'quantitative easing'.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2024, 12:54:30 am »

Five percent is what they are paying other people who buy treasuries.  The Fed won't be charging the US government a dime on the fantasy money it prints up for them.  Nor will that money ever be paid back.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2024, 02:18:20 am »
Five percent is what they are paying other people who buy treasuries.  The Fed won't be charging the US government a dime on the fantasy money it prints up for them.  Nor will that money ever be paid back.

It is theoretically possible for the Fed to monetize the entire federal debt by buying back all Treasury bonds and then just forgiving the debt the Treasury would owe the Fed.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2024, 02:26:00 am »
It is a myth known as "modern monetary theory" that a central bank can control inflation by tweaking interest rates. While inflation is the result of increases in the money supply, those increases come about as a result of big government deficits, and the Fed then buying Treasury debt, which finds its way into the economy when the government spends the money. Politicians and their sycophants in the media will seek to blame all sorts of other boogeymen, but the bottom line is very simple to understand: inflation is a tax, one of the most regressive taxes there is.

:bingo:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2024, 02:36:47 am »
It is a myth known as "modern monetary theory" that a central bank can control inflation by tweaking interest rates.

A theory invented by government for the benefit of government.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2024, 02:38:31 am »
It is theoretically possible for the Fed to monetize the entire federal debt by buying back all Treasury bonds and then just forgiving the debt the Treasury would owe the Fed.

Essentially no different than what the Weimar Republic did to pay off its WWI debt.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2024, 04:28:14 am »
Essentially no different than what the Weimar Republic did to pay off its WWI debt.

Indeed. It would trigger hyperinflation by throwing $29 trillion or so into the economy over a very short period. But I think at some point they will have no choice. Politicians are not going to deal with the underlying problem.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2024, 04:10:25 pm »
Catfish leaps with:
"...Fedzilla is going to have to fund it's bond habit by floating 5-6% treasuries for 30 years, instead of 2-4%."

I've recently started buying t-bills, with the shortest term (4 weeks). Return seems to be right around 5.35% for the past few months.

A $100k bill will pay about $412 every 4 weeks (less whatever you wish paid directly the IRS for taxes).

You can set them to "re-invest" as many terms as you want (up to 2 years). You can also "bail out" at any time (by changing the number of terms of re-investment).

I've bought several, so that I get "a payoff" every Tuesday. I had to create a spreadsheet on the Mac to keep up with it all...!

Having said that, a friend just sent me an article (from CNN, sigh) that says the treasury is considering issuing a run of ONE-DAY t-bills, to cover a shortage of cash:
https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/01/business/treasury-bill-auction/index.html

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2024, 04:25:07 pm »
Interest Rates will make servicing the Government debt more expensive.

In theory, higher interest rates lower demand and sop up cash to reduce cash supply and lower the velocity of money through the economy.

But, the stickiness of inflation is due to bad Government housing policy, bad Government energy policy, lack of Government anti-trust enforcement, and things beyond the Government's control, such as bird flu.

Even if higher rates reduce demand, as intended, there is still insufficient supply (housing) to meet demand and Global Climate Change Policies are inflationary because they distort market supply and increase energy prices.

In a truly free competitive energy market, we'd be getting more electricity from lower-cost coal, natural gas, and possibly newer, safer thorium nuclear power plants - lower costs of production; lower prices.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 04:28:01 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.