Author Topic: Lack of Free San Diego Dry Docks Complicates USS Boxer Repair  (Read 115 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Lack of Free San Diego Dry Docks Complicates USS Boxer Repair
SAM LAGRONE
APRIL 19, 2024 6:27 PM

USS Boxer (LHD-4) coming into San Diego on April 11, 2024. San Diego Webcam Photo
The two dry docks large enough to accommodate a big deck amphibious warship in San Diego, Calif., are currently occupied, complicating the repairs of USS Boxer (LHD-4), USNI News has learned.

Boxer came back into port last week with one of its rudders damaged after leaving earlier this month on deployment. As of Friday, the Navy was assessing how to repair the rudder to allow the 45,000-ton capital ship to return to sea, a service official told USNI News. The service would prefer to fix the rudder underwater with the understanding that the replacement repair could take up to two to three weeks, USNI News previously reported.

Complications could arise if the big deck needs to go into dry dock. The dry dock large enough to accommodate Boxer at BAE Systems’ San Diego repair yard is occupied by an availability for Littoral Combat Ship USS Oakland (LCS-24). The nearby General Dynamics NASSCO dry dock is occupied by guided-missile destroyer USS Chung Hoon (DDG-93), which is undergoing an availability to install the AN/SLQ-32(V)7 Surface Electronic Warfare Improvement Program Block 3. Moving either of the warships would extend both availabilities, USNI News understands.

https://news.usni.org/2024/04/19/lack-of-free-san-diego-dry-docks-complicate-uss-boxer-repair
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Lack of Free San Diego Dry Docks Complicates USS Boxer Repair
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2024, 04:07:27 pm »
The new CNO looks like she is getting straightened out! :whistle:

The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson