Author Topic: Chicago’s City Council approves Mayor Johnson’s plans to borrow $1 billion and use $70 million in re  (Read 195 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Chicago’s City Council approves Mayor Johnson’s plans to borrow $1 billion and use $70 million in reserves to support migrants
The fiery debate exposed divisions within the City Council over the mayor’s first major development plan and the increasing cost of supporting migrants.

By Tessa Weinberg
April 19, 2024, 5:01pm CT

After hours of tense and bitter debate, the Chicago City Council approved Friday two of Mayor Brandon Johnson’s top priorities: his $1.25 billion dollar borrowing plan for economic development and affordable housing and $70 million to help the city shelter migrants.

Fractures among the council and its caucuses were on full display during debate over the spending items. The votes came after alderpersons from across the political spectrum aired their discontent with Johnson for a lack of transparency over spending and wanting a greater commitment for long disinvested communities.

“While the city was able to tap into the rainy day fund to come up with $70 million dollars to bring the migrants inside, Black folks are left standing outside in the rain again,” said Ald. Desmon Yancy, 5th Ward, who urged Johnson to commit the same amount to the Black community and “no longer put Black Chicago on the back burner.”

https://www.wbez.org/stories/city-council-approves-johnsons-1-billion-borrowing-plan/ea70409f-d209-491b-8056-60b396b10207
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
When Chicago defaults on the billion dollar loan they will beg the WH for a bail out.

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

When Chicago defaults on the billion dollar loan they will beg the WH for a bail out.

Maybe the mayor should call Zelenskyy and see if he has a spare billion to help out.  :laugh:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Maybe the mayor should call Zelenskyy and see if he has a spare billion to help out.  :laugh:

Why not George Soros? :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson