Author Topic: Roger Pielke Jr.: The Politics and Policy of a National Climate Emergency Declaration  (Read 127 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Roger Pielke Jr.: The Politics and Policy of a National Climate Emergency Declaration
By Marc Morano
April 21, 2024
8:04 pm

By Roger Pielke Jr.

“A significant feature of American government during the last fifteen years is the expansion of governmental activity on the basis of emergency.” That is the opening line in a 1949 academic paper on “Emergencies and the Presidency.” The role of the president in declaring a state of emergency to achieve policy goals has been a policy issue that dates back at least to President Abraham Lincoln.

Today, President Biden is once again being called upon by his supporters to declare a national emergency on climate change. Rather than argue for or against it, in this post I’m going to explain the history of such declarations, what recent experience says about their effectiveness in policy, and suggest the three questions we should be asking instead.

A national emergency declaration may be a political end, but it is also supposed to be a policy means — a mechanism intended to achieve certain outcomes in the national interest. Apart from the politics of using an emergency declaration to signal affinity with certain political interests, below I recommend the policy questions that we should be asking instead.

https://www.climatedepot.com/2024/04/21/roger-pielke-jr-the-politics-and-policy-of-a-national-climate-emergency-declaration/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson