Author Topic: Charging toward net zero: The environmental factors electric vehicles don't fix  (Read 114 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Charging toward net zero: The environmental factors electric vehicles don't fix

The U.S. has ambitious goals to curb climate change in the coming decades—and electric vehicles feature heavily in that plan.

EV vehicles represent an immense leap in automotive industry capabilities made possible by computer chips and battery technology advancements, further nudged by government incentives. But research and current economic and environmental trends have laid bare that they're by no means a silver bullet for alleviating climate change.

CoPilot analyzed academic studies and federal and news sources to illustrate America's uphill battle to electrify vehicles.

It's a push that's gotten off to a strong start. A record 1.2 million EVs were sold to consumers in 2023, according to Kelley Blue Book, representing a jump in overall sales from 5.9% in 2022 to 7.6% last year. In 2024, that share is projected to account for 10% of all vehicle sales.

To reach climate goals set for the end of the decade, however, the current pace of sales growth may prove insufficient.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/are-electric-vehicles-really-that-sustainable-these-are-the-environmental-problems-they-don-t-fix/ss-BB1lzqOl?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=52f225bfb5ae4021cb07f29e6c9e58ee&ei=54
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson