Author Topic: Navy gives itself ‘C+’ on ability to repair warships  (Read 123 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Navy gives itself ‘C+’ on ability to repair warships
« on: April 21, 2024, 02:39:51 pm »
Navy gives itself ‘C+’ on ability to repair warships
By GARY WARNER STARS AND STRIPES •
April 18, 2024

The Puget Sound Naval Shipyard and Intermediate Maintenance Facility in Bremerton, Wash. The Navy said Thursday, April 17, 2024, that its four shipyards would get a “C+” if graded on their ability to repair ships damaged in a sustained military conflict. (U.S. Navy) Outdated public shipyards would get a low grade for the ability to repair warships damaged in a major conflict, a top Navy official said Wednesday.

Nickolas Guertin, the assistant secretary of the Navy for research, development, and acquisition, told the House Armed Services Committee’s subpanel on seapower and projection forces that the 20-year, $21 billion project to modernize and expand the four Navy shipyards in Hawaii, Washington, Maine and Virginia would increase repair capacity.

Rep. Donald Norcross, D-N.J., asked for a “letter grade” of current ability in the event of war. “To be perfectly frank, I am not sure I would give us a great grade,” Guertin said. Norcross pressed for a more concise answer. “It’s back to elementary school,” Norcross said. “C, D, F — where would you put us?” “C+,” Guertin said.

Read more at: https://www.stripes.com/branches/navy/2024-04-18/navy-shipyards-warships-budget-lawmakers-13587861.html
Source - Stars and Stripes
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Navy gives itself ‘C+’ on ability to repair warships
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2024, 02:40:40 pm »
I think Guertin was being generous.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson