Author Topic: Major Setback for New York Renewable Energy Goals  (Read 125 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Major Setback for New York Renewable Energy Goals
« on: April 21, 2024, 10:12:10 am »
Major Setback for New York Renewable Energy Goals
9 hours ago Charles Rotter 25 Comments

According to a recent article from Politico, New York State has decided not to move forward with three major offshore wind-energy projects. This decision came after General Electric Vernova (GE.N) altered the turbine design, which the state said “materially altered” the original plans.

NYSERDA, the state authority in charge of the deals, announced Friday that no final agreements could be reached with the three projects that received provisional awards in October 2023. Those bids were all linked to major supply chain investments by General Electric and a larger turbine it planned to build that was aimed at boosting the region’s renewable energy portfolio.

“Subsequent to the provisional award announcement, material modifications to projects bid into New York’s third offshore wind solicitation caused technical and commercial complexities between provisional awardees and their partners, resulting in the provisionally awarded parties’ inability to come to terms,” NYSERDA wrote in an announcement.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/04/19/new-york-offshore-wind-canceled-00153319
This development is a significant setback for New York’s renewable energy goals, as the state aims to achieve 70 percent renewable energy by 2030. The projects were provisionally awarded in October 2023 but failed to reach final contract agreements due to “technical and commercial complexities” that arose after GE Vernova’s change in turbine design.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2024/04/20/major-setback-for-new-york-renewable-energy-goals/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson