Author Topic: Betrayal Complete: Mike Johnson Passes $61 Billion Ukraine Aid, Violates Hastert Rule Again  (Read 2615 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Betrayal Complete: Mike Johnson Passes $61 Billion Ukraine Aid, Violates Hastert Rule Again

Bradley Jaye 20 Apr 2024

Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA) delivered President Joe Biden a $61 billion gift on Saturday afternoon, reversing his months-long pledge to never advance foreign aid without first securing America’s border.

Multiple Democrats — and possibly a few Republicans — cheered; shouted, “Ukraine;” and waived Ukrainian flags as the Ukraine aid vote closed.

“It is in violation of decorum to waive flags on the floor,” Johnson scored Democrats.

The Ukraine portion of the foreign aid passed 311 to 112. One representative, Republican Dan Mauser (R-PA), voted present.

Johnson, once again, violated the Hastert Rule. Only 101 Republicans voted with Johnson, while 112 — a clear majority — opposed.

Republican House members circulated a document outlining a timeline of Johnson’s repeated insistence that the House would not advance a foreign aid package before securing America’s southern border.

Johnson had begun publicly wavering in early March after a February 28 meeting at the White House.

His reversal follows months of grooming by both the White House and establishment Republicans.

“We’ve been working with him for months to try to get him there,” one anonymous lawmaker told Politico, which said Johnson’s Ukraine bill would “grant Biden a major foreign policy victory that has eluded him for a year.”

The White House and intelligence state reeducation of Mike Johnson began before his seat warmed. According to Politico, “the administration held several closed-door briefings for Johnson and other lawmakers to update them on the deteriorating situation in Ukraine, starting just days after Johnson became speaker.”

Officials involved in those briefings included CIA Director William Burns and National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan.

The Ukraine bill will be bundled into a larger foreign aid package that does not include border security.

Johnson held a vote on a border security bill earlier in the day, but Johnson moved that bill under suspension of the rules, which meant it required two-thirds support to pass.

It received 215 votes to 199 in opposition and, therefore, failed.

The Senate is expected to act on the bill soon after receiving it.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2024/04/20/betrayal-complete-mike-johnson-passes-61-billion-ukraine-aid-violates-hastert-rule-again/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

Betrayal once again by GOP leadership!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!

Johnson held a vote on a border security bill earlier in the day, but Johnson moved that bill under suspension of the rules, which meant it required two-thirds support to pass.

It received 215 votes to 199 in opposition and, therefore, failed.

This part of the text from the original post is very revealing.

P.S. - I need to be refreshed. What is the Hastert Rule?
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Offline libertybele

The Hastert rule says that the speaker will not schedule a floor vote on any bill that does not have majority support within their party—even if the majority of the members of the House would vote to pass it.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Hoodat

My wife just got a fundraising call from the GOP.  Fund this?  Hell no!.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

This part of the text from the original post is very revealing.

P.S. - I need to be refreshed. What is the Hastert Rule?

If you want to be and stay speaker, you keep your skeletons buried in the closet, lest you end up like Gingrich and Livingston.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Ukraine’s Zelensky ‘Personally’ Thanks Mike Johnson for $61 Billion Gift from U.S. Taxpayers

Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky said he was “personally” grateful to “Speaker Mike Johnson for the decision that keeps history on the right track” after Johnson shepherded a $61 billion Ukraine aid package through the House Saturday.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2024/04/20/ukraines-zelensky-personally-thanks-mike-johnson-for-61-billion-gift-from-u-s-taxpayers/
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Exclusive – Byron Donalds: ‘Incredibly Disappointing’ Johnson Violated Hastert Rule on Passage of Ukraine Aid

Reps. Byron Donalds and Chip Roy slammed Speaker Johnson for violating the Hastert Rule in passing the $60 billion Ukraine aid bill.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2024/04/20/byron-donalds-incredibly-disappointing-johnson-violated-hastert-rule-passage-ukraine-aid/
Support the USO

Online Right_in_Virginia

"I've never been more disappointed in the Republican party in my adult life than today, truly sickening." (Video)

https://twitter.com/LangmanVince/status/1781765476118319232

Online Right_in_Virginia

Betrayal Complete: Mike Johnson Passes $61 Billion Ukraine Aid, Violates Hastert Rule Again

Bradley Jaye 20 Apr 2024

Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA) delivered President Joe Biden a $61 billion gift on Saturday afternoon, reversing his months-long pledge to never advance foreign aid without first securing America’s border.

Johnson, once again, violated the Hastert Rule. Only 101 Republicans voted with Johnson, while 112 — a clear majority — opposed.

Republican House members circulated a document outlining a timeline of Johnson’s repeated insistence that the House would not advance a foreign aid package before securing America’s southern border.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Monica Crowley
@MonicaCrowley

This is how much the uniparty hates you:

After voting to shovel another $61 billion to Ukraine while doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about our own border catastrophe,

they waved Ukrainian flags - when the ONLY flag that should be waved on the House floor is the AMERICAN FLAG.

Truly sickening.

However much you detest these people, it’s not nearly enough.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1781754382402421006/video/1

4:14 PM · Apr 20, 2024

Offline libertybele

Exclusive – Byron Donalds: ‘Incredibly Disappointing’ Johnson Violated Hastert Rule on Passage of Ukraine Aid

Reps. Byron Donalds and Chip Roy slammed Speaker Johnson for violating the Hastert Rule in passing the $60 billion Ukraine aid bill.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2024/04/20/byron-donalds-incredibly-disappointing-johnson-violated-hastert-rule-passage-ukraine-aid/

I hope Byron Donalds hangs in there.  There aren't too many conservatives left.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Rand Paul
@RandPaul

Ukrainian flags fly in the chamber of the UNITED STATES House of Representatives as they vote to send more of your hard-earned money to a corrupt foreign regime. And just like that they shout “UKRAINE! UKRAINE!”while happily working to secure Ukraine’s borders, not ours.

Last edited
2:20 PM · Apr 20, 2024

Online Right_in_Virginia

I hope Byron Donalds hangs in there.  There aren't too many conservatives left.

And he has been a vocal, energetic supporter of Donald Trump since day one of the 2024 campaign @libertybele

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Make Marjorie Taylor-Greene Speaker.
(This is a serious suggestion)

Will she co-operate with the DCommunists?

Offline kevindavis007

What Betrayal?
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline libertybele

And he has been a vocal, energetic supporter of Donald Trump since day one of the 2024 campaign @libertybele

Yes, I am absolutely well aware of that @Right_in_Virginia  and that support alone doesn't change my mind about not voting for Trump.

Trump made a huge mistake going up against Cruz and smearing him; I held my nose and voted for Trump anyways.  Trump made a huge mistake going up against DeSantis and smearing him, even before he announced he was running.

Smearing two of the most conservative politicians among other issues loses my vote.  I voted for Trump in '16, and I voted for him in '20.  I won't be voting for him in '24.  End. of. story.

Offline libertybele

Make Marjorie Taylor-Greene Speaker.
(This is a serious suggestion)

Will she co-operate with the DCommunists?

I think your serious suggestion is very valid.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Yes, I am absolutely well aware of that @Right_in_Virginia  and that support alone doesn't change my mind about not voting for Trump.

Just wanted to be sure you knew who Byron supports for POTUS.  As with all things, what you do or do not do with the information doesn't concern me @libertybele

« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 10:46:17 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Hoodat

Monica Crowley
@MonicaCrowley

This is how much the uniparty hates you:

After voting to shovel another $61 billion to Ukraine while doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about our own border catastrophe

Not to worry.  That money won't be going to Ukraine either.  This is $61 billion in graft to ensure Democrats have enough campaign money in November.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline dfwgator

GOP Leadership is an oxymoron.

Offline Hoodat

Just wanted to be sure you knew who Byron supports for POTUS.  As with all things, what you do or do not do with the information doesn't concern me @libertybele

And if Trump were in office right now, he would pen his signature at the bottom of this bill, no questions asked.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

GOP Leadership is an oxymoron.

You got that right.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline The_Reader_David

Only if you think the isolationist wing of the GOP is the party as a whole is this a betrayal.  The old norm in American politics was that partisan politics ended at the shoreline and foreign policy was bipartisan.  It served us well all through the Cold War (arguably actually WWIII, fought in slow motion thanks to nuclear deterrence, which we eventually won). 

In fact, as a supporter of the old bipartisan foreign policy consensus, I think it easier to argue that the isolationist-let-Putin-have-Europe faction of the GOP are the traitors (possibly even in the strict sense of adhering to enemies of the United States) than that Mike Johnson has betrayed anyone.  The time for a Russophilic foreign policy was the early to mid-1990's (when I argued for one), not now that having made post-Soviet Russia into a definitional enemy for no reason in the 1990's when we could have genuinely befriended them (even as the Allies made Weimar Germany into a pariah for the sins of the Kaiser and the German General Staff in 1914), a revanchist regime has taken over and made Russia into a threat to international peace once more.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.