Author Topic: In hot ancient Rome, it’s not the heat but the cold times that align with plagues  (Read 188 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
In hot ancient Rome, it’s not the heat but the cold times that align with plagues
By Jo Nova

The Roman Climate Optimum lives
Quietly hidden in a paper about ancient pandemics is the most detailed estimate of Roman temperatures I’ve ever seen. For 800 years temperatures gyrated over a three degree range. The Climate Alarmists of Rome could have run the whole warming-cooling-warming-scare back to back for 400 years. But make no mistake, the good times, Pax Romana — were the warmest and wettest ones. The colder times are associated with aridity, plagues and collapse.

Two thousand years ago plankton bloomed and died, and the different ratios of warm and cool species left thick layers on the ocean floor just off the heel of the boot of Italy. Every ten years another centimeter thick layer of dead dinocysts collected on the sea floor, which makes for a remarkably detailed record. They report a jaw dropping “three year resolution”. The record was so rich they could pick out the seasons, and wow, by golly, they could compare it with modern air temperatures. (See graph A below) Though, for some reason they don’t make that easy, or say much about how those ancient temperatures compare to today. (Presumably, if they found things were hotter today, they’d have got a Nobel Prize.)

Cold times don’t guarantee a pandemic, but warm times do seem to discourage them:

Despite the expert predictions of doom in hot weather, the ancient Roman records don’t suggest mass outbreaks of malaria, flesh eating bugs, or viral pandemics.

https://joannenova.com.au/2024/04/ancient-rome-was-hotter-than-today-and-cold-times-align-with-plagues/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=ancient-rome-was-hotter-than-today-and-cold-times-align-with-plagues
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson