Author Topic: Submarines: US Colombia SSBNs Behind Schedule  (Read 325 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Submarines: US Colombia SSBNs Behind Schedule
« on: April 19, 2024, 03:46:20 pm »
Submarines: US Colombia SSBNs Behind Schedule

April 18, 2024: The U.S. Navy’s Columbia SSBN (ballistic missile submarine) program is an effort to design and build a new class of twelve SSBNs to replace the Navy’s current force of 14 aging Ohio-class SSBNs. Since 2013, the Navy has consistently identified the Columbia-class program as its top priority program. Because of that the Navy was able to order its first Columbia-class boat in 2021. The Navy is now trying to obtain enough money to order and build the last nine of the twelve total Columbias. The first Columbia will cost $15.2 billion while the remaining eleven will cost about $9 billion each. The total cost of all twelve SSBNs is expected to be $347 billion when you include total lifecycle costs of each boat. The first ship of a class is always more expensive because it includes the research and development money spent on developing the entire class.

The first three Columbias have been ordered and the first one is expected to enter service in 2031 with all twelve in service by 2042. These SSBNs will serve until 2085 and will not require a mid-life refueling of its nuclear reactor. There will be a mid-life refurbishment for each SSBN, but it will cost less and be completed sooner because refueling is not required.

Each Columbia is expected to serve for 42 years. Once in service each SSBN will carry out 124 deployments, each about three months long followed by a month in port for maintenance and allow the crew some time with their families. Most of the 150 personnel on an SSBN are married. The Columbias will also spend several long periods receiving extensive maintenance and refurbishment. While there will be twelve Columbias, normally only a few will be at sea on deterrent patrols. If there is an international crisis more Columbias can be sent out.

https://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htsub/articles/2024041801832.aspx#google_vignette
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Submarines: US Colombia SSBNs Behind Schedule
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2024, 03:47:47 pm »
Isn't being ridiculously behind schedule a DOD defensive strategy? :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2024, 03:25:44 am »
Isn't being ridiculously behind schedule a DOD defensive strategy? :whistle:
C'mon, man! The economy is doing so good it will only cost 10% more next year.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2024, 01:54:24 pm »
C'mon, man! The economy is doing so good it will only cost 10% more next year.

If so, tha's a deal the DOD couldn't resist! :silly:
Thomas Jefferson