Author Topic: Texas: Muslim Mother Who Beat, Choked, and Burned Teen Daughter for Not Wearing Hijab Pleads Guilty  (Read 107 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Texas: Muslim Mother Who Beat, Choked, and Burned Teen Daughter for Not Wearing Hijab Pleads Guilty (Video)
 Amy MekApril 18, 2024Add comment3 min read

The court permitted the mother to accept a plea agreement involving participation in community service and anger management programs, yet it remains uncertain how these measures will effectively address the Islamic beliefs motivating her to harm her daughter for not adhering to Sharia law.

An Islamic mother, Sittarh Mazhar Khan, stands accused of beating, choking, and burning her 14-year-old daughter in Houston, Texas, in October of last year. According to Harris County prosecutors, she was upset with her daughter for not wearing her hijab and for overcooking pita bread. In Islamic law (Sharia), women are required to cover themselves.

Initially, Khan, who does not speak English and needed an interpreter at the hearing, was also charged with assaulting a family member. However, that charge was dropped in exchange for a guilty plea to injuring a child and causing bodily harm. “The defendant, upset that the complainant did not wear her hijab at school, beat and choked the complainant, causing her to lose consciousness,” stated the hearing officer during Khan’s probable cause hearing shortly after her arrest.

A source close to the investigation informed KPRC 2 that Khan discovered her daughter’s missing head covering through an Instagram post. Additionally, “The defendant, upset that her daughter did not wear her hijab at school, beat and choked the complainant, causing her to lose consciousness,” the mother also faced an injury to a child charge stemming from an incident involving overcooked pita bread. Allegedly, Khan became upset about the bread and “forced the complainant’s arm onto a hot oven rack, resulting in three burn marks,” explained the hearing officer. Khan, who has been described as a homemaker for over 17 years, does not speak English.

https://rairfoundation.com/texas-muslim-mother-who-beat-choked-burned-teen/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson